Lewis Dobbin

DarkFruitsRam7

I've been pretty harsh on Dobbin so far this season. I kind of came to the conclusion that he was crap a few weeks ago and that Barkhuizen was miles better.

But that second-half performance on Saturday was absolutely sublime. He rinsed their full back time and time again. That, coupled with the assists at Port Vale, suggests he's stepped up a gear and could be a huge asset for us. Delighted to be proven wrong.

Let's hope he keeps his confidence up and we see more of the same for the rest of the season. 

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

It's a funny one as I think a good few could see that he's got loads of ability and was trying his heart out too, but rather more were giving him endless stick. He has been profligate in front of goal, that can't be denied, but he gets into so many good positions and oddly, strikes the ball very cleanly when passing. His influence is growing weekly and he going to terrorise some FBs in the run-in.

Most satisfyingly, he's also completely shut down @TragicFlan and you'd have to love that too.

He’s missed stacks of chances this season - if he had scored a good percentage of them Everton would have recalled him or a championship club would have offered a decent loan amount for Everton to send him there. So I am glad he is still here and I am expecting him to start scoring those chances because they can’t continue to not go in. 
He’s young and learning but he seems to be enjoying being here but wants to obviously get goals as well, I think he will 

He was very decent on Saturday but he was outstanding at Port vale a few weeks ago, he complements mendiz Lang and Barkhauzen giving the opposition a torrid time down the flanks with the other young lad Springett looking enthusiastic as well.

id like to sign Dobbin full time but I don’t think Everton would release him to us on that basis unless they stay in the premiership which doesn’t look a great bet. It will be interesting to see how his career develops.

31 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

He rinsed their full back time and time again.

As he did in the away match. It just took until the second half when we'd taken over (and they'd all but given up) for us to utilise that threat on Saturday.

The defences in this league simply can't cope with pace running toward them, nevermind pace, trickery and clever ball control.

A good first touch takes most League One fullbacks out of the game, not just full backs either as we see every time McGoldrick makes loads of room for himself.

His close control whilst running at top speed is exceptional. Equally he has great balance when shifting from right foot to left. These are the qualities that will open up and enable us to turn defences and create opportunities. Understandably given the pace of his attacking he has found the adjustment from running with the ball to then shooting a problem and this has led to him missing a number of 1v1’s - possibly as many as 5 this season, IIRC. 
His impact of late has been greater though - Port Vale & Morecambe he was outstanding in both - so we must as fans not allow our frustrations to be high volume as it will affect his focus. 
From what I’ve seen I’m confident the progress he is delivering now is part of his natural development. He will be some player in 3-4 seasons time so we are indeed lucky to have him this season. 

He glides with the ball like no other player we have. He beats players like no other player we have. NML is more direct and power when getting past people which is just as exciting to watch. Dobbin on the ball just shows how much of a natural talent he is.

Yes, his decision-making isn't always great and his finishing can leave a lot to be desired, but if he was lethal in the final third, he'd be starting for Everton rather than Derby, so I found complaints about him after he missed a 1v1 against Port Vale a little bemusing a couple of weeks ago.

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

It's a funny one as I think a good few could see that he's got loads of ability and was trying his heart out too, but rather more were giving him endless stick. He has been profligate in front of goal, that can't be denied, but he gets into so many good positions and oddly, strikes the ball very cleanly when passing. His influence is growing weekly and he going to terrorise some FBs in the run-in.

Most satisfyingly, he's also completely shut down @TragicFlan and you'd have to love that too.

Yep I spent weeks trying to get that individual to lay off him. He’s talented young lad trying to make his way in the game FFS.

You could see right from the first few games there was a lot of potential there.

Yes, his finishing is poor and needs a lot of work……..Yes, his final ball can be poor and needs work.

But his ability to carry the ball forwards, push defences back, get us up the pitch quickly and into dangerous positions, were huge assets that we needed to do better at exploiting.

Some of our fans forget that we came out of admin with 5 players on the books. He was as good as we could expect to get at that time. I just don’t understand some of our supporters sometimes, they border of the ridiculous!

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I've been pretty harsh on Dobbin so far this season. I kind of came to the conclusion that he was crap a few weeks ago and that Barkhuizen was miles better.

But that second-half performance on Saturday was absolutely sublime. He rinsed their full back time and time again. That, coupled with the assists at Port Vale, suggests he's stepped up a gear and could be a huge asset for us. Delighted to be proven wrong.

Let's hope he keeps his confidence up and we see more of the same for the rest of the season. 

We were always going to get this with Dobbin. It’s his first taste of mens football. It’s not like most of the Championship loans we’ve had, they have usually played mens football at some level before coming to us. I said at the start of the season we’ll know if he’s any good in the second half of the season. 
He’s coming up against seasoned pros, who are going to do things to him that under 21 full back that’s probably won’t go on to play pro football won’t. 
First half of the season was to get him accustomed to the league, second half is to become a nailed on starter every week. 

My assessment of Dobbin is that he’s brilliant everywhere except in the box where he lacks composure and makes bad decisions. Could have something to do with it being his first season in professional football. At Port Vale someone behind me said it’s Dobbin the f****** horse when he missed that 1 on 1, one of the worst misses this season. But then two brilliant assists to win us the game.

Hes clearly got talent, he’s definitely going be a wide player/winger, as he plays more games he’ll make better decisions and be more prolific. He’ll play an important role for us between now and the end of the season. If we get up to the championship I think he’d be a good loan option next season as I think he’ll improve again. Not sure he will go to the very top but will probably end up a bottom half prem/top half championship player.

45 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

My assessment of Dobbin is that he’s brilliant everywhere except in the box where he lacks composure and makes bad decisions. Could have something to do with it being his first season in professional football. At Port Vale someone behind me said it’s Dobbin the f****** horse when he missed that 1 on 1, one of the worst misses this season. But then two brilliant assists to win us the game.

Hes clearly got talent, he’s definitely going be a wide player/winger, as he plays more games he’ll make better decisions and be more prolific. He’ll play an important role for us between now and the end of the season. If we get up to the championship I think he’d be a good loan option next season as I think he’ll improve again. Not sure he will go to the very top but will probably end up a bottom half prem/top half championship player.

Spot on, add pretty much what @DavesaRam said, they have got to be working on his shooting in training, I’m sure even Didzy will be having encouraging words in his ear too.

If we get up, Everton stay up, wouldn’t be at all surprised if both parties don’t agree another season with us in a higher league would be beneficial for all.

Just now, Zag zig said:

Spot on, add pretty much what @DavesaRam said, they have got to be working on his shooting in training, I’m sure even Didzy will be having encouraging words in his ear too.

If we get up, Everton stay up, wouldn’t be at all surprised if both parties don’t agree another season with us in a higher league would be beneficial for all.

It is true about Didzy. He has been seen several times putting an arm round Dobbin’s shoulder or having a quiet word of encouragement, playing the role of a fether figure.

He is also being an encouragement to Collins as well, and it seems his value to the club isn’t just on the pitch!

If he had a better goal finish he wouldnt be with us. He either wouldnt have gone on loan at all or to a high- end championship club. Love his keep trying attitude. We've really enjoyed watching his progress so far under the wing of Didzy. One of those loan players I think will have soft spot for and look out for in the future. If he doesnt find his scoring touch and we get promoted who knows we may get him back next year. 

17 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Dobbin has improved with us. I think McGoldrick and the other lads have given him confidence and he just needs to start more games. Maybe he needs to feel part of the group and he's now getting that love from team mates and fans.

Good player, will play at a decent level imo.

Agree with the idea that he's improved.

A lot of people in this thread suggesting that everything but his final ball has been great all season, and I'd strongly disagree. I just don't think he looked anything like a League One footballer for a good while, with the odd exception (e.g. the goal against Torquay). 

But in recent weeks, pretty much every single aspect of his game has improved. If he keeps it up, I'd say he's too good for League One.

22 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Some of that is may a little bit less experance so maybe counts some missed chances dont forget that he still a young lad learning the game.