Is "woke" confusing kids

Alph

1 hour ago, Normanton Lad said:

There is no such thing a "folk construct strawman fallacy". That doesn’t mean anything. If you mean I have misrepresented his argument then I disagree. He used two stories to support his claim about racism. I have shown that the story about the teacher and the 7 year old is almost certainly not true. Do you think it is true? Be honest and don’t just revert to insults. The second story where he had to listen to complaints from non-whites presumably about whites strikes me as racist against him. It seems like an attempt to guilt trip him just because he was white. Did he have the opportunity to complain about non-white racism? If the “about forty year old woman” was one of the complainers would he have had the opportunity to question the truth of the story? I doubt it. I think that would also be classified as racism. In the current climate even questioning the truth of racism claims is proof of racism. 

Why did he come up with these two stories? Some would say he was angry about racism but I think he probably had an ulterior motive. He was signalling to fellow “wokies” on here that he a “good person” like them.  Nowadays it is called virtue signalling. I’ve not posted much on here about non-football topics because as a “non-wokie” I can see I am an interloper. Don’t bother rushing in with the insults because I’m just going to stick to threads of little interest to wokies. 

Us 'Wokies' on hearing you're leaving...

ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).gif

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

There are plenty of legitimate views in this area especially in the realm of gender identity and sexuality. Yes, it is good society has become more open and inclusive and schools should be accommodating towards minorities. However, it strikes me as obvious, that most teens will experiment with both and indeed a complete lack of norms could be part of a complex mix of circumstances eviscerating the mental health of our young people. 

Sexual and gender identity is such a minefield, open to changes for a wide variety of reasons that any significant change should be treated with a degree of skepticism at first. Of course teenagers should have appropriate information about sexual and gender identity but this needs to be accompanied with careful support. We also need to shy away from the idea that because someone is 'gender non conforming' i.e., they possess some traditional male characteristics if they are female or the opposite way around then that means they are 'transgender'. It's a weird, very conservative, 1950's idea of gender that is now being paraded as progressive.  

12 hours ago, Normanton Lad said:

If I was accused of a crime where all the evidence pointed to my guilt even though I wasn’t guilty I would just accept my punishment as bad luck.

Probably the silliest thing I've read today - and that includes the hysteria surrounding a video made by somebody wearing a corset and nipple tassels.

10 hours ago, Rev said:

I'm still awaiting an argument as to why gay men are more likely to become paedophiles than straight men, to derail the thread further.

I don’t know, sounds like a loaded question. Has anyone suggested that is the case or are you pointing to an inconsistency in law? Maybe young boys are more trusting than young girls? 

• 2 weeks later...

Just to bump this back up.

I see Waterstones released their top 20 childrens book for this year.

One of the books, "My trans teen misadventures " is about a teenage girl going through puberty. From what I have seen online, there is a page from the book that is a naked drawing in which the character describes their breasts as fatty lumps that can be removed.

Perhaps I am missing something but isn't this entirely the wrong idea to promote? We should be championing the books that encourage you to see the positive. 

Ref the aforementioned book...

It's an auto-biography. It's not promoting anything. And if it's garnering sufficient interest to make it a Top 20 release with the UK's biggest book chain, what does that tell us? In case anyone is remotely interested, it's not some random promotion of alt lifestyles, it's the author's memoirs of how HE grew up as a SHE in St Helens. Reviews from those who have actually read it seem to suggest it's a book that very much champions a positive view, just one that some perpetually outraged types are clearly not comfortable with. Maybe it's worth asking ourselves why? 

On that note, isn't it 'wokies' or 'wokists' (or whatever asinine term folk are using these days) who are meant to be in favour of shutting down debate and cancelling culture? It seems that it's fine to cancel or shut down LGBTQ+ voices, it's just the rest of us who need our message and identities protected. No hypocrisy there at all. I'll pop my SJW, virtue signalling, snowflake, wokie hat on and suggest we all just live and let live. Now wouldn't that be a fine thing? 

Slight diversion but I was listening to a little ditty that it transpires (no pun intended) was Top 10 for 10 weeks.

Year of release? 1972. Hmmmm.

Plus ça change... ?‍♂️

On a final note, here's the 'trans terrorist' himself, chatting to his grandparents about his transition and asking them how they felt. I think they kind of nail it, tbh.

7 hours ago, BondJovi said:

Just to bump this back up.

I see Waterstones released their top 20 childrens book for this year.

One of the books, "My trans teen misadventures " is about a teenage girl going through puberty. From what I have seen online, there is a page from the book that is a naked drawing in which the character describes their breasts as fatty lumps that can be removed.

Perhaps I am missing something but isn't this entirely the wrong idea to promote? We should be championing the books that encourage you to see the positive. 

We had a trans person come to my work to lecture us on inclusivity. Part of this was to inform us of the "correct vocabulary" to use. Apparently having your breasts removed is to be called "top surgery".

I would suggest no it isn't - it's a double mastectomy. We do need to stop the normalizing of mutilation. For a few years the UK had quite an enlightened approach to female genital mutilation and pursued perpetrators vigorously. Yet now we're moving towards a situation where the mutilation of young boys and girls is being encouraged by some sections of society. Or where they look on and do or say nothing. It should not be tolerated and history will look back on it as a time of scandalous child abuse.

Yes, almost every kid has a difficult time approaching and going through puberty, but this part of the human process of growing up. Equally, almost every kid progresses through on the other side where they end up fine, either straight or bi or gay - who cares which? Pretty much no one nowadays, which is great.

The idea that you can magically change your biological sex because there's a brief time in your life where your hormones are playing havoc with you, and you should have your puberty blocked and bits of your body chopped off etc, is just bizarre and wrong.

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

The idea that you can magically change your biological sex because there's a brief time in your life where your hormones are playing havoc with you, and you should have your puberty blocked and bits of your body chopped off etc, is just bizarre and wrong.

Nobody has ever suggested that you can change your biological sex. 

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

We do need to stop the normalizing of mutilation

Agree. How many of the male posters on here are circumcised I wonder? Let's not pretend that there is a hierarchy of genital mutilation. Circumcising any child's genitals against their will (which is a given if they are infants) is child abuse but male circumcision is weirdly normalised by a lot of people in supposedly civilised society

I don't however believe that elective surgery performed on a consenting adult can really be considered mutilation though

3 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Todays kids should be more confused as to why they will not be able to retire as early as their grandparents did.

"woke" and the faux rage about it is a huge diversion to stop people questioning wtf is going on in the world.

Combined with the fact the spousal element on death was made defunct in 2016.  With that and increased age plus 35 years to pay in. Should be a lovely earner for future governments.  Billions paid in over 40 odd years of working and no one gets any of it .  Always seems a bit odd in the UK that get you shafted on NI for potentially 65-80k over a lifetime and no-one notices anything.  Tax increases 1 %  everyone goes bonkers.  

13 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Combined with the fact the spousal element on death was made defunct in 2016.  With that and increased age plus 35 years to pay in. Should be a lovely earner for future governments.  Billions paid in over 40 odd years of working and no one gets any of it .  Always seems a bit odd in the UK that get you shafted on NI for potentially 65-80k over a lifetime and no-one notices anything.  Tax increases 1 %  everyone goes bonkers.  

We have stopped questioning our rulers and fall out with each other instead.

8 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Nobody has ever suggested that you can change your biological sex. 

Nonsense. Our lecturer at work insisted on having done so. Watching India Willoughby on Question Time a week or so ago, the words "I'm a biological woman" were repeated over and over.  This is the narrative. This is why bodily mutilation is part of it. Of very vulnerable young people. 

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

We have stopped questioning our rulers and fall out with each other instead.

The biggest problem for me is that it is somehow no longer the job of politicians to represent the the people who vote them in, they stand before us in the two party system with pretty much the same policies and ignore the majority and people are politically homeless apart from a few died in the wool follower s of one party or another , saint nicola of Scotland is a perfect present example of this , her gender bill is not supported in Scotland ( certainly in its form without refused sensible revisions ) but ??‍♂️

Edited by Archied

2 hours ago, Archied said:

The biggest problem for me is that it is somehow no longer the job of politicians to represent the the people who vote them in, they stand before us in the two party system with pretty much the same policies and ignore the majority and people are politically homeless apart from a few died in the wool follower s of one party or another , saint nicola of Scotland is a perfect present example of this , her gender bill is not supported in Scotland ( certainly in its form without refused sensible revisions ) but ??‍♂️

Not sure about St Nicola, but I'd say the balance is pretty much spot on.

21 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

isn't it 'wokies' or 'wokists' (or whatever asinine term folk are using these days) who are meant to be in favour of shutting down debate and cancelling culture? It seems that it's fine to cancel or shut down LGBTQ+ voices, it's just the rest of us who need our message and identities protected. No hypocrisy there at all. I'll pop my SJW, virtue signalling, snowflake, wokie hat on and suggest we all just live and let live. Now wouldn't that be a fine thing? 

That would be a fine thing indeed.

Do you think there's any possibility that the more aggressive element among the pro-Trans lobby will be able to respect that principle? If they could, it would be a big boost for those who have seen their careers ruined and voice 'cancelled' (including many concerned people in the LGB community) for something as simple as pointing out that sex is immutable and therefore, for example, Transwomen are Transwomen and not Women?

And it is predominantly men wanting to be able to call themselves women who are at the forefront of the most aggressive campaigning. Women wanting to be Men seem to have been largely silenced in the debate. Why am I not surprised? 

J K Rowling is wealthy enough to bear the consequences of her support of women, many of the others targeted by Trans Rights activists aren't. The "silencing" has to stop but its not the TQ+ group who have suffered most from the practice.