Is "woke" confusing kids

Alph

16 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Ah, so woke has been expanded further to include folk who prescribe puberty blockers. So hard to keep up with the ever-growing list of things to be outraged about. Not really sure how that fits the anti-discrimination stance, but hey, in for a penny ?

SMDH

Our language is being dismantled, woke , right wing , Marxist ,this phobe that phobe, there’s no proper argument anymore it’s like a school playground , years ago when I heard right wing attached to someone it was pretty certain I would find some very unpleasant bordering on dangerous extremist , now it could be as simple as edging towards brexit being the slightly better option than being in the EU , same with woke , it’s like the boy who cried wolf story 

1 minute ago, Archied said:

Our language is being dismantled, woke , right wing , Marxist ,this phobe that phobe, there’s no proper argument anymore it’s like a school playground , years ago when I heard right wing attached to someone it was pretty certain I would find some very unpleasant bordering on dangerous extremist , now it could be as simple as edging towards brexit being the slightly better option than being in the EU , same with woke , it’s like the boy who cried wolf story 

Yep, just lazy and asinine labelling. It doesn't engender debate, it merely perpetuates divides.

16 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

There was a big piece in The Times on the Tavistock Clinic scandal and the forced prescribing of puberty blockers to kids

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tavistock-scandal-gender-clinic-puberty-blockers-nhs-investigation-ghrqxk8pn

talking about it being on a par with the systematic doping of East German atheletes, but sadly it now seems to have fallen behind the paywall.

But I think it reveals that not just kids but some medical professionals and parents are confused by various woke ideologies, especially the sometimes forced trans stuff as described here. The advocacy charities" Mermaids and Stonewall have been trongly involved in pushing this. People should go to prison for the abuse that's been going on at this long-notorious centre. 

You can still read it at the internet archive

https://archive.ph/CwUEW

There are indeed a lot of troubling allegations in the guy's book, and I would like to see a proper independent inquiry for sure. 

The problem around the whole debate though is people on the extremes of the argument shouting about wanting to send people to prison based on something they've heard and chosen to believe unconditionally

The only sensible moderate view is that there seems to be some troubling allegations here - and given that it involves children, it ought to be thoroughly investigated by an independent body to establish the truth ASAP.

5 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

You can still read it at the internet archive

https://archive.ph/CwUEW

There are indeed a lot of troubling allegations in the guy's book, and I would like to see a proper independent inquiry for sure. 

The problem around the whole debate though is people on the extremes of the argument shouting about wanting to send people to prison based on something they've heard and chosen to believe unconditionally

The only sensible moderate view is that there seems to be some troubling allegations here - and given that it involves children, it ought to be thoroughly investigated by an independent body to establish the truth ASAP.

Pretty sure Tavistock has been closed following an investigation into their conduct although I may be wrong on that tbh. There was also a story where numerous workers tried to blow the whistle to the guardian and they simply ignored it. 

19 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Pretty sure Tavistock has been closed following an investigation into their conduct although I may be wrong on that tbh. There was also a story where numerous workers tried to blow the whistle to the guardian and they simply ignored it. 

I believe it is due to close in the Spring but is being replaced by two new NHS run centres, one in London and one in the North-West. I think the Keira Bell court case was the catalyst for a major review of its activities in recent years, which led to the decision to close it down.

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Not a hate crime, according to the police. Time will tell, no doubt.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-64625162

You know my thinking , I refuse to see any decent person as any different to myself no matter what label todays fragmented society wants to put on people , this is very much a hate crime committed by scummy hateful people , it matters not what excuse they use to direct they’re hatefulness at ,

ALL people stand as one against this shxt , there’s only two types of people in my view ,,, decent people and violent hateful scum ??‍♂️

40 minutes ago, Archied said:

ALL people stand as one against this shxt , there’s only two types of people in my view ,,, decent people and violent hateful scum ??‍♂️

Bit black and white for me mate. I think plenty fall somewhere in the middle. I think the vast majority start off 'decent' but plenty end up somewhere else altogether, but that's as far as I'd.

53 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Bit black and white for me mate. I think plenty fall somewhere in the middle. I think the vast majority start off 'decent' but plenty end up somewhere else altogether, but that's as far as I'd.

You ok mate?

Is tea ready, or do you need an ambulance?  

55 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I would also add a lot of people should know better wind up people with their words they choose.

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

No I get what you you mean but I guess I’m talking in the extreme circumstances of this kind of evil from any kind of physical harm / attack to murder , I just have this thing that I would not give them so much as a sniff at deluded self justification, they hurt or kill human beings end of 

14 hours ago, TimRam said:

Not sure to answer the thread subject but there were some strange childrens books in Waterstones window today. How times have changed from my childhood.

I used to buy my 'strange' books from a vendor in the underpass near Mount Street bus station.