Is "woke" confusing kids

Alph

36 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I've always been a little bemused by them. Can you explain to me exactly what they are and how they are meant to be a positive image?

Oh come on roy ,how can you question whether they are a positive image when they are being drafted in to do children’s story hour for kids aged between 3 and 11 

Why are some drag queens suddenly obsessed with the idea of performing in front of children? If you want to read to kids, great, but can't you just do that dressed like a normal adult? If a woman turned up at a local library reading event in an evening gown with her face painted like a clown people would be scratching their heads and asking questions, but when it's drag queens we're all supposed to pretend this is normal?

Edited by Anon

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

I'm sure there are better places to conduct this boring culture war "debate".

It was much better when people were talking about first hand experiences rather than things they had read in a "news"paper.

Ahh the old swervarooney trick again , you jump in with a gusto full of opinion, defame one side as right wing with sad lives then the above when you realise answering the question and justifying your posted opinion is pretty much impossible, are you off to the war in Ukraine topic next to invalidate posters ( pretty much everyone ) just going on what they read in the papers with no first hand experience,

personally I’ve been clear that I don’t like the cover all term woke as the generalised insult it’s become , I’m now calling out the use of the term right wing as exactly the same guff , both terms spouted by people unable and unwilling to see anything beyond they’re own trench

still unwilling to answer if you are in favour of rolling out drag queen story hour in our schools ??‍♂️

Edited by Archied

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I'm sure there are better places to conduct this boring culture war "debate".

It was much better when people were talking about first hand experiences rather than things they had read in a "news"paper.

Isn't that for the Moderators to decide? 

9 hours ago, Anon said:

Why are some drag queens suddenly obsessed with the idea of performing in front of children? If you want to read to kids, great, but can't you just do that dressed like a normal adult? If a woman turned up at a local library reading event in an evening gown with her face painted like a clown people would be scratching their heads and asking questions, but when it's drag queens we're all supposed to pretend this is normal?

Wait till you snowflakes find out about pantomimes ?

Interesting repeated use of the word "normal" too. You sound like my Nan 

13 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Wait till you snowflakes find out about pantomimes ?

Interesting repeated use of the word "normal" too. You sound like my Nan 

Done the panto thing a few posts back , they are not dressing like ladies of the night ( they tend to dress like your Nan) and it’s your choice whether to take your kids to a panto , I object to children in schools being used as pawns in a war being waged by gender extremist s 

where has the push for drag queen story hour to be rolled out in schools come from and why?

Edited by Archied

2 hours ago, Archied said:

Ahh the old swervarooney trick again , you jump in with a gusto full of opinion, defame one side as right wing with sad lives then the above when you realise answering the question and justifying your posted opinion is pretty much impossible, are you off to the war in Ukraine topic next to invalidate posters ( pretty much everyone ) just going on what they read in the papers with no first hand experience,

Jeez, your debating style really is tiresome.

You raised this drag queen issue, moaning how the protests were described as right wing.

I pointed out the protest was organised buy a far right group. Look it up in the Daily Mail if you want too.

You ignore this totally (for now) and ask me if I'm in favour of drag queens going into schools to read stories.

I respond by mocking your moral panic about an issue so tiny and insignificant. I thought it was pretty obvious from that response that I had no problem with a drag queen speaking to school kids because, guess what, I trust what they read to them will be totally age appropriate!

You then reply to me a couple of times, asking me to speak plainly, presumabley so you can engage further in a culture war debate.

I ignore these attempts and reposted the identical post from about 3 pages ago, about how there are better forums for boring culture war debates and how an excellent thread has become derailed.

Now, your latest response is where your debating style becomes highly tiresome. You accuse me of defaming one side as right wing. Funny that, you brought up the right wing element and ignored my response to it earlier, only to bring it back now.

As for this thread, the first few pages were many different posters talking sensitvely about a difficult subject, many with insightful examples of first hand experience. There were very few opinions too, just people trying to navigate a complex subject.

I think that is a much better use of this thread than a repitition of the boring culture war debates all over the usual places on social media.

When you respond to this post, don't bother trying to debate about the rights and wrongs of drag queens reading a story in school. I honestly don't really care that much.

31 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

You raised this drag queen issue, moaning how the protests were described as right wing.

I pointed out the protest was organised buy a far right group. Look it up in the Daily Mail if you want too.

You ignore this totally (for now) and ask me if I'm in favour of drag queens going into schools to read stories.

I respond by mocking your moral panic about an issue so tiny and insignificant. I thought it was pretty obvious from that response that I had no problem with a drag queen speaking to school kids because, guess what, I trust what they read to them will be totally age appropriate!

You then reply to me a couple of times, asking me to speak plainly, presumabley so you can engage further in a culture war debate.

I ignore these attempts and reposted the identical post from about 3 pages ago, about how there are better forums for boring culture war debates and how an excellent thread has become derailed.

Now, your latest response is where your debating style becomes highly tiresome. You accuse me of defaming one side as right wing. Funny that, you brought up the right wing element and ignored my response to it earlier, only to bring it back now.

As for this thread, the first few pages were many different posters talking sensitvely about a difficult subject, many with insightful examples of first hand experience. There were very few opinions too, just people trying to navigate a complex subject.

I think that is a much better use of this thread than a repitition of the boring culture war debates all over the usual places on social media.

When you respond to this post, don't bother trying to debate about the rights and wrongs of drag queens reading a story in school. I honestly don't really care that much.

F0B607F1-1C06-45E3-9199-6938AC29A4B7.gif

53 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

My debating style ?????, I just speak plainly , give an opinion and question if I disagree with one I’m not at uni looking for good marks , I would suggest what you find tiresome is when you spout an opinion that when questioned is very hard to defend,

fair enough you don’t really care whether drag queen story hour is rolled out in schools but clearly lots of parents do , interesting you feel the need then to denigrate the quality of they’re lives for caring enough to protest , do you feel that those protesting on the other side protesting to have drag queens go into schools and do story hour are just as lacking in quality of lives? The issue is not the whether the stories they read are appropriate as you well know,

finally you hint at others on this being sensitive to the issues brought up , I’ve been involved in giving opinions from the start of the thread and believe I have been thoughtful and sensitive in what I have posted and how it’s posted , have you been reading the thread or just jumped in at drag queens story hour ?

4 hours ago, Archied said:

the panto thing a few posts back they are not dressing like ladies of the night

I didn't know that Drag Queens dressed like prostitutes?! Have you perhaps had a bad experience of mistaken identity here that you'd like to share with the group? ?

4 hours ago, Archied said:

where has the push for drag queen story hour to be rolled out in schools come from and why?

Again, I'd never heard of it as a thing, but I know various poets and performers who visit schools so I know that it's something they are privileged to be asked to do and it's the schools choice as to who they invite. The idea that someone is forcing schools to have drag queens seems perhaps a manufactured outrage?

Anyway, I read the DQSH Wikipedia page to learn a bit more about it and I'm not sure anyone could read it and not reconsider their initial reactionary response to it.

It goes back to the main point of the thread. The problem here is the adults being scared of our children looking outside the boxes that we've been forced to live inside.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_Queen_Story_Hour

"Anyone who thinks drag isn’t for children is wrong. Drag is expression, and children are such judgment-free beings; they don’t really care what you’re wearing, just what you’re performing"

Edited by Stive Pesley

15 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I didn't know that Drag Queens dressed like prostitutes?! Have you perhaps had a bad experience of mistaken identity here that you'd like to share with the group? ?

Again, I'd never heard of it as a thing, but I know various poets and performers who visit schools so I know that it's something they are privileged to be asked to do and it's the schools choice as to who they invite. The idea that someone is forcing schools to have drag queens seems perhaps a manufactured outrage?

Anyway, I read the DQSH Wikipedia page to learn a bit more about it and I'm not sure anyone could read it and not reconsider their initial reactionary response to it.

It goes back to the main point of the thread. The problem here is the adults being scared of our children looking outside the boxes that we've been forced to live inside.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_Queen_Story_Hour

"Anyone who thinks drag isn’t for children is wrong. Drag is expression, and children are such judgment-free beings; they don’t really care what you’re wearing, just what you’re performing"

Great , my passion is wearing bondage gear in my spare time ,,, good to know I can rely on your support getting me into schools to do story hour to kids in my gear , perhaps we can get prince Harry in there in his Nazi uniform to read a few stories as well ?,

on your first line , I thought you had decided to grow out of that kind of game , happy to return to our old rules of engagement ?

9 minutes ago, Archied said:

Great , my passion is wearing bondage gear in my spare time ,,, good to know I can rely on your support getting me into schools to do story hour to kids in my gear , perhaps we can get prince Harry in there in his Nazi uniform to read a few stories as well ?

on your first line , I thought you had decided to grow out of that kind of game , happy to return to our old rules of engagement ?

I was just having a joke to try and lighten the mood as you were getting a bit heavy about it all.

I don't think it's one of those things that warrants an extreme opinion. But you're right my new year resolution was to stop trying to change people's minds. All the best

27 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I was just having a joke to try and lighten the mood as you were getting a bit heavy about it all.

I don't think it's one of those things that warrants an extreme opinion. But you're right my new year resolution was to stop trying to change people's minds. All the best

Ok no probs and perhaps I read it and your intention a bit wrong ?, reason being I do find this issue along with the over sexualisation of children very concerning, 

here’s the thing

if it was about a trans woman going into schools to do story hour dressed in the style of a female teacher ,business woman , everyday woman’s wear as opposed to a drag queen going in dressed as Britney Spears , Madonna video style get up , let’s be honest drag queen is an overtly sexualised cheap caricature of women then my thought process on the issue would be quite different 

There was a big piece in The Times on the Tavistock Clinic scandal and the forced prescribing of puberty blockers to kids

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tavistock-scandal-gender-clinic-puberty-blockers-nhs-investigation-ghrqxk8pn

talking about it being on a par with the systematic doping of East German atheletes, but sadly it now seems to have fallen behind the paywall.

But I think it reveals that not just kids but some medical professionals and parents are confused by various woke ideologies, especially the sometimes forced trans stuff as described here. The advocacy charities" Mermaids and Stonewall have been trongly involved in pushing this. People should go to prison for the abuse that's been going on at this long-notorious centre.