Chrissy Martin

AdamSumnerDCFC6

9 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

The problem with Martin is that if he plays one of his lovely lay offs on the half way line, there’s no way he’s going to be in the box for the next 8 seconds or so and he won’t be a target for the wingers.

That’s why Bristol City want rid.

To be fair, neither does Didzy.

On 22/01/2023 at 20:54, RoyMac5 said:

? It's how quickly a player thinks as much as how quickly they move. Such an intelligent footballer.

Edit: but I don't think he's coming home. ?

They used to criticise Jimmy Greaves for being too slow, but he was the fastest over one yard.

2 hours ago, irobinson said:

need a pacy option down the centre 

We had a pacey option down the centre (Osula), and we never really used him, because he couldn't do anything else that a modern striker needs to do. He was quick, and he could dribble and finish, and that was about it.

We mainly are playing 1 up front, and even when we play Collins and McGoldrick together, they're far from a traditional front 2.  So any striker we bring in has to be able to play as a lone striker, which means they have to be able to do at least a few out of: being a physical presence up front, occupying defenders, holding the ball up, linking the play, winning headers etc.  Otherwise you're basically toothless up front and your entire system doesn't work.  There's a reason why small, quick strikers (think Michael Owen, Jermaine Defoe types) barely exist in modern football (as regular starters anyway) - they can't play up front on their own, and if you play a front 2, you get outnumbered somewhere else. 

So if we want a pacey option, we're looking at Ivan Toney types - big, strong, physical and quick at the same time.  And good luck finding one of those for free in January.  Any player that's big, strong and quick and can score goals is going to be playing regular football somewhere already.

And for what it's worth, we have bags of pace in the team already - 4 quick wingers, and the likes of Knight and Sibley breaking from deeper.  What we need is craft in the final third (i.e. someone to actually play passes or create opportunities for those guys).  We only really have McGoldrick, plus Bird and Hourihane from deeper.  A striker that can either hold the ball up, or drop off and play passes, would make a much bigger difference than another guy that can run quickly.

3 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Great player when he was here, but that was a long time ago. He wasn't the most mobile then.

Exactly this. I wasn't sure why this thread was going so strong for any reason other than nostalgia, since he's so clearly not a Warne player (and probably never was, albeit he'd get extra points for the Norwich connection perhaps).

One of my favourite Derby forwards of all time but not the way we're going, for which even Hugill would have been a better fit at this moment in time.

3 minutes ago, Keepyuppy said:

As much as Martin has a historical affinity with the club and fans, he wouldn’t add anything to the current squad and trying to infuse him into our team and style of play would be a huge negative - so thanks, but no thanks ??

really?

remember when HE was 1st choice striker in 2014/15 and got injured and we played Russell (or Bent) up front on his own and we ended up dropping to 8th in the league on the last day?

I would suggest he adds "DEPTH" to the squad. Whether Warne wants him or not is a different conversation.

16 hours ago, jono said:

And as an aside … (sorry Roy) I loathed the falling over, clever occasionally, but as a habit, which it was, not for me. 

How do you feel about Jason Knight winning just as many free kicks in the same way?

Don't really understand why people are against this transfer other than the sole reason that he might compromise our pressing system. Which is a big reason, admittedly, but personally I'd love him as an option, especially with very little noise anywhere about other players coming in. I picture the ball sticking to him as our other players fly forward, and I get excited.

3 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

We had a pacey option down the centre (Osula), and we never really used him, because he couldn't do anything else that a modern striker needs to do. He was quick, and he could dribble and finish, and that was about it.

We mainly are playing 1 up front, and even when we play Collins and McGoldrick together, they're far from a traditional front 2.  So any striker we bring in has to be able to play as a lone striker, which means they have to be able to do at least a few out of: being a physical presence up front, occupying defenders, holding the ball up, linking the play, winning headers etc.  Otherwise you're basically toothless up front and your entire system doesn't work.  There's a reason why small, quick strikers (think Michael Owen, Jermaine Defoe types) barely exist in modern football (as regular starters anyway) - they can't play up front on their own, and if you play a front 2, you get outnumbered somewhere else. 

So if we want a pacey option, we're looking at Ivan Toney types - big, strong, physical and quick at the same time.  And good luck finding one of those for free in January.  Any player that's big, strong and quick and can score goals is going to be playing regular football somewhere already.

And for what it's worth, we have bags of pace in the team already - 4 quick wingers, and the likes of Knight and Sibley breaking from deeper.  What we need is craft in the final third (i.e. someone to actually play passes or create opportunities for those guys).  We only really have McGoldrick, plus Bird and Hourihane from deeper.  A striker that can either hold the ball up, or drop off and play passes, would make a much bigger difference than another guy that can run quickly.

All of that needed for when McGoldrick simply can’t play or when he is shot in a game - Martin on loan for the rest of the season would be excellent cover and available because currently we aren’t seeing many options

Edited by Sparkle

1 hour ago, Thierry Ennui said:

How do you feel about Jason Knight winning just as many free kicks in the same way?

Don't really understand why people are against this transfer other than the sole reason that he might compromise our pressing system. Which is a big reason, admittedly, but personally I'd love him as an option, especially with very little noise anywhere about other players coming in. I picture the ball sticking to him as our other players fly forward, and I get excited.

As I said I’ve no problem with Chris Martin in his prime he was a good player but the boat has sailed in my opinion. will the same people still be saying bring him back when he’s retired I expect so the same conversation comes up every window 

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

All of that needed for when McGoldrick simply can’t play or when he is shot in a game - Martin on loan for the rest of the season would be excellent cover and available because currently we aren’t seeing many options

Agree, as a short-term option through until the end of the season.