Forest Green Rovers (H) Sat 17th Dec

As well as illness FGR have their two big scorers from last season returning from injury. Matt came on as a sub but clearly not fully fit and Stevens didn't get on, again not fully fit. Their best winger was out of contract and went to Barnsley close season and their manager was poached by Watford (and typically sacked shortly afterwards.)

They are a small but honest club located in the middle of nowhere who I have a lot of time for. 

I felt for them today.

We were good, if not quite at our best, and the gulf in class was obvious. But they didn't resort to kicking and cheating tactics, as many other teams have done. 

I hope they find their feet and enjoy the rest of their season (one more  game against us excepted!)

Whenever some are feeling good about the team, there's always a few determined to temper any feelgood factor. I kind of imagine them intoning their pearls of wisdom in that sort of adenoidal tone train announcers use. Well sod yous, I'm off to the pub, then a house party. I'm going to drink a lot, possibly wake up with an angry GF and feel like chucking whilst trying to finish a report that's already overdue because I couldn't be arsed to do it after the footy and you know what? I'll still be smiling through it all.

Stick that in your pipe mardy naysayers ??

Good result and performance for the large parts of the game. 

Seems that warne has when, forced into  putting square pegs into round holes he also added a bit of sand paper. With a bit of work they do the job. Doesn't look like it should but, works in an ok fashion. 

Sibley was great today with his forward game and then tracking back to make cover tackles. 

Smith has equally adapted to his rb role. 

Fozzy has looked confident alongside Cashin who was very dominant today. 

Have a sad feeling that we may be losing Knight. Should be starting in this team and with the performance today from the bench would start much further up in leagues. Can we offer him a new contract on the money he deserves, I doubt it. Will have to sell in January or he will go for nothing really. 

If a right back is brought in then that frees up smith to challenge for the midfield role if needed. 

Warne has got this team organized with flashes of brilliance. Obviously mcgoldrick takes all the plaudits with his deft touches and clever play, rightly so but, Nathaniel is a real handful as is Collins. 

Positive signs for the remainder of the season I think. Not since rowett have we been difficult to beat but by playing better football. 

Merry Christmas to all Rams fans and a happy New Year. 

39 minutes ago, angieram said:

As well as illness FGR have their two big scorers from last season returning from injury. Matt came on as a sub but clearly not fully fit and Stevens didn't get on, again not fully fit. Their best winger was out of contract and went to Barnsley close season and their manager was poached by Watford (and typically sacked shortly afterwards.)

They are a small but honest club located in the middle of nowhere who I have a lot of time for. 

I felt for them today.

We were good, if not quite at our best, and the gulf in class was obvious. But they didn't resort to kicking and cheating tactics, as many other teams have done. 

I hope they find their feet and enjoy the rest of their season (one more  game against us excepted!)

My dad played for them many years ago so always had a soft spot for them.

18 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Sorry to be contrary. I thought he was far from everywhere. But he stuck that volley sweet as a nut, didn’t try to hit it too hard and forced a good save. Another day it was goal of the season  

You’re right. The volley was so controlled, he hit it with his foot horizontal to keep it down …and so so sweetly. The lad has quality but I feel he hasn’t  found his ideal position and somehow we don’t know exactly what he is either. String pulling DM, or midfield fulcrum orLampardesque striding attacking midfielder. He can shoot pass and tackle but where is he most successful ? I think there is some age related strength to come as he develops. I think it’s only then that we’ll find out who the real MB is

If ever there was an enigma it’s Max .. far more than Sibbo. 

Coming up to the half way point and with so much disruption from a stunted pre-season to a change in management, I can't see any reason to finish outside the play offs here. Strengthen with a couple of extra bodies in January and I think we should be looking at a strong second half. 

We clearly weren't great today and won 4-0 which tells us if we keep playing the right way, and taking our chances we should be looking up the table.

Nice position to be in going into Christmas! COYR

48 minutes ago, jono said:

You’re right. The volley was so controlled, he hit it with his foot horizontal to keep it down …and so so sweetly. The lad has quality but I feel he hasn’t  found his ideal position and somehow we don’t know exactly what he is either. String pulling DM, or midfield fulcrum orLampardesque striding attacking midfielder. He can shoot pass and tackle but where is he most successful ? I think there is some age related strength to come as he develops. I think it’s only then that we’ll find out who the real MB is

If ever there was an enigma it’s Max .. far more than Sibbo. 

I thinking “striding attacking midfielder” is Max to a “T”, but rarely gets the chance to play there. Bit like Sibbo really, in that we are yet to seem him play a run of games to his strengths.

One day, one day …….

41 minutes ago, Srg said:

Thought Bird was fantastic today. Was second in line for MOM for me behind McGoldrick. Controlled everything the entire game. 

Aye, if he wasn't winning it in midfield, he was making it damn near impossible for them to do anything with the ball.  

An Imax player in a letterbox league.

I'm assuming Knighty is gone. His body language when he assisted the goal, waving his fist at the South Stand and holding his head in his hands after he missed that chance....I got the feeling he was desperate to score for the fans.

His applause at the end of the game seemed a farewell. I get the impression he doesn't really want to go but the club have probably accepted a decent offer for him and he will be getting a huge pay rise.

Hope I'm wrong, but if not, I wish him all the best and hope he has a great career. He's always given everything in every game he's ever played for us. 

I'll be gutted to see him go but the fact is he really is too good to be in League 1. I just hope he goes to a club I don't hate!

5 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I'm assuming Knighty is gone. His body language when he assisted the goal, waving his fist at the South Stand and holding his head in his hands after he missed that chance....I got the feeling he was desperate to score for the fans.

His applause at the end of the game seemed a farewell. I get the impression he doesn't really want to go but the club have probably accepted a decent offer for him and he will be getting a huge pay rise.

Hope I'm wrong, but if not, I wish him all the best and hope he has a great career. He's always given everything in every game he's ever played for us. 

I'll be gutted to see him go but the fact is he really is too good to be in League 1. I just hope he goes to a club I don't hate!

It’s certainly a possibility. The club will have to accept an offer this Jan, if they can’t get him to sign a new contract. 

With our restrictions I can’t imagine we can offer him anywhere near what he’s worth. Shame but here we are.

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Whenever some are feeling good about the team, there's always a few determined to temper any feelgood factor. I kind of imagine them intoning their pearls of wisdom in that sort of adenoidal tone train announcers use. Well sod yous, I'm off to the pub, then a house party. I'm going to drink a lot, possibly wake up with an angry GF and feel like chucking whilst trying to finish a report that's already overdue because I couldn't be arsed to do it after the footy and you know what? I'll still be smiling through it all.

Stick that in your pipe mardy naysayers ??

There's no need to talk about PW like that ?

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

Nah I think you're reading into it too much. While it's certainly a possibility, I'd be surprised if we sell Knight. Paul Warne seems to like him.

2 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Nah I think you're reading into it too much. While it's certainly a possibility, I'd be surprised if we sell Knight. Paul Warne seems to like him.

Hope your right mate.

If I was a Championship manager pushing for promotion I'd be offering decent money to get him. Warne liking him has no real effect on the outcome.