Torquay (H) FACR1 (Replay) Tues 15th Nov 2022

I think PW post game comments were completely fair and justified. It was a good performance but it was a game we should never have been playing in the first place. 

I think the naivety of some of the young lads showed last night, at 2-0 they thought the game was over and took their foot of the gas, we nearly allowed them back into the game. I’d imagine PW also wasn’t happy with the complacency and that’s why he wasn’t as upbeat. 

Also I found posters quoting comments about Dobbins finishing after he scored a 20 yard volley rather odd. That strike doesn’t change the fact he has missed far easier chances this season and doesn’t now make him a “natural finisher”. What’s clear though is he does have bags of ability, he gets himself into the right positions constantly to be able to be on the end of these chances. If he was a better finisher he’d be our leading goal scorer by a long way but then it’s likely he would be on loan at the championship or higher.

Massive game on Friday night, winning games and scoring goals is a morale boost no matter who you’re playing. Hope we take the same clinical finishing into the game on Friday!

21 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

We would never have won 5-0 under Liam. They would be too busy tippy tappy back and forth.

You can't beat a good old fashioned lump up field into space to turn the defence

I have a view that were LR in charge of Arsenal or Barcelona, or someone, he'd be an amazing manager.  I think his tactics are too Champagne for playing with Aldi stout players.  The possession is one thing, but there are just no opportunities with it. 

32 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

We would never have won 5-0 under Liam. They would be too busy tippy tappy back and forth.

You can't beat a good old fashioned lump up field into space to turn the defence

To be fair to our tactics, we were hardly "lumping" the ball upfield.

We would pass it around and from time to time Cashin did hit a long pass that generally found its target. McGoldrick had some great cross field and diagonal passes that put us into great situations and Bird played some tasty low through balls from midfield (highlight being the pass to Didzy for the Osula goal).

18 minutes ago, roboto said:

We would pass it around and from time to time Cashin did hit a long pass that generally found its target. McGoldrick had some great cross field and diagonal passes that put us into great situations and Bird played some tasty low through balls from midfield (highlight being the pass to Didzy for the Osula goal).

Yep for me the key is to be able to switch it up so we are not predictable , with the top sides who play possession stuff with really top quality technical players they are able to switch the pace , they can be strolling then suddenly bam they are high paced ,

23 minutes ago, roboto said:

Sibley also unlucky with some through balls. We tried quite a lot, most over hit but at least that is taking a risk in the right place. We didn't allow their defence to get set. Our attacking players must enjoy this approach more.

Not been a lot of discussion on here about the crowd (or lack of) - at least in the comments I’ve read (so sorry if it’s been done to death or covered elsewhere).

Can’t  be many times in the history of this club that more people went to the previous away game than to a first team home game.  Quite extraordinary!

Everyone will have their reasons for not going last night and all will be valid. Certainly no criticism on my part, was just very surprised at how few had decided to turn out.

Was it a perfect storm of it being Torquay, on tele, on what promised to be a pretty bad night weather-wise (though turned out ok), in the middle of a cost of living crisis, without much notice, coming up to Christmas and so on?  Not sure the club could have done more? Cheap as it could possibly be, I’d wager? 

If we’re in the first round next season, then I would advocate a return to the cup voucher, because at least you’d probably have a crowd.  

5 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Not been a lot of discussion on here about the crowd (or lack of) - at least in the comments I’ve read (so sorry if it’s been done to death or covered elsewhere).

Can’t  be many times in the history of this club that more people went to the previous away game than to a first team home game.  Quite extraordinary!

Everyone will have their reasons for not going last night and all will be valid. Certainly no criticism on my part, was just very surprised at how few had decided to turn out.

Was it a perfect storm of it being Torquay, on tele, on what promised to be a pretty bad night weather-wise (though turned out ok), in the middle of a cost of living crisis, without much notice, coming up to Christmas and so on?  Not sure the club could have done more? Cheap as it could possibly be, I’d wager? 

If we’re in the first round next season, then I would advocate a return to the cup voucher, because at least you’d probably have a crowd.  

The problem with cup vouchers is that the club would have to increase the cost of season tickets accordingly as the proceeds have to be shared with the away team. This effectively takes away the choice for season ticket holders as to whether they attend or not.

Assuming the club did charge extra, what would happen if we were knocked out before having the chance to play a home game? What would happen if we won away in the first two rounds and our first home cup game was against a big team when the club might want to charge more than they would have done for a mid week home replay against a non league team?

I understand your desire for a bigger crowd but think the reintroduction of vouchers would be too complicated (I wonder how they used to do it back in the day?).

38 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

The problem with cup vouchers is that the club would have to increase the cost of season tickets accordingly as the proceeds have to be shared with the away team. This effectively takes away the choice for season ticket holders as to whether they attend or not.

Assuming the club did charge extra, what would happen if we were knocked out before having the chance to play a home game? What would happen if we won away in the first two rounds and our first home cup game was against a big team when the club might want to charge more than they would have done for a mid week home replay against a non league team?

I understand your desire for a bigger crowd but think the reintroduction of vouchers would be too complicated (I wonder how they used to do it back in the day?).

We used to get only away games then get knocked out then we lost the vouchers - it was a big con ?

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I seem to remember getting 4 cup vouchers way back in the 70s, when we were quite confident of getting that many home ties, because we were more successful and there were replays. Both cups in those days attracted bigger crowds throughout the competition, including the early rounds. I also seem to remember getting credit towards the cost of the following season ticket for any vouchers not needed.

I don't how the share of the gate money was distributed then, but the higher crowds then, wouldn't have made so much difference.

41 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I seem to remember getting 4 cup vouchers way back in the 70s, when we were quite confident of getting that many home ties, because we were more successful and there were replays. Both cups in those days attracted bigger crowds throughout the competition, including the early rounds. I also seem to remember getting credit towards the cost of the following season ticket for any vouchers not needed.

I don't how the share of the gate money was distributed then, but the higher crowds then, wouldn't have made so much difference.

Yes. I remember the 4 vouchers (we had little tear our books didn’t we?) but, like you, don’t know how proceeds share worked.