Derby v Man City U21s Matchday Thread

archram

7 minutes ago, Foxy Ram said:

Apart from W.Ham, Everton & Arsenal

I might be wrong but I think that was the OP's point. Judging by the comments on this thread, you would have thought that man city were the only u21 side to win whereas results have shown that they often do beat the league sides.

Nothing to worry about here, it's a poor night but it's a poor competition. Forget it happened and move on to the proper football.

Man City were excellent. Without question, the best team we’ve played this season (so far) and their quality was just too much for ourself on the night. Not many players did themselves any favours, McGoldrick aside, we were just second best all over the pitch.

I said before the game, it’s probably the most depressing game in our history and the result will go down as the worst in our history - losing to a u21 side is shameful even though they were very good. Shows how far we’ve fallen as a club, unfortunately, yet all we can do is support them. 

Sad to see City teaching horrible cheating and gamesmanship to their kids. Falling over at every opportunity, feigning injury,  time wasting, treating scoring a goal as if they’d won the World Cup (and not a single booking for time wasting I don’t think). Shame really.

Sour grapes maybe, but they are a deeply unlikable club in my humble opinion (an opinion I’ve held since 1999 when I worked in Manchester but has only grown since they became the richest club on the planet and became even more insufferable).

Was their second goal offside? Looked a mile off from my vantage point but probably not the best position.

Edited by LazloW

Enough of the wrist-slashing. It is like criticising the likes of Fulham, Stoke or Crystal Palace for not running away with the Premiership every season. For a start, we are League 1, Manchester City are Premier League, with a Premier League-quality under 21 side. Add to  that we have a squad assembled from a bunch of youngsters struggling to make the grade anywhere else, and a load of people well on their way to the Football League retirement home. Add to that we don't have a squad the size of any other team in this division, compared with tonight's opponents who have got huge squads, despite the rules to limit that. We have a manager still learning about his squad, and who has only had 3 weeks max with his players, plus this wasn't the strongest team we can put out.

I think 1 - 3 was fair-do's, all things considered, so long as Paul knows more about his players, especially those on the fringe, and that he has found out about different tactical ideas he may be able to use going forwards (or ditch because they don't work!).

23 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Either of them have U21 at the end.  

What is the skill gap between a strong Real Madrid team full of internationals and a third tier side in Spain and the champions of Moldova?

It’s pretty huge, isn’t it?

What is the skill gap between academy players of the champions of England and a top five club in Europe, and a mix of senior and reserve players of a club at League 1 level?

Much of the City side will be aiming to go out on loan to clubs at our level or perhaps in League 2, won’t they?

So it’s much closer, no?

What is the outrage here?

11 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Sad to see City teaching horrible cheating and gamesmanship to their kids. Falling over at every opportunity, feigning injury,  time wasting, treating scoring a goal as if they’d won the World Cup (and not a single booking for time wasting I don’t think). Shame really.

Sour grapes maybe, but they are a deeply unlikable club in my humble opinion (an opinion I’ve held since 1999 when I worked in Manchester but has only grown since they became the richest club on the planet and became even more insufferable).

Was their second goal offside? Looked a mile off from my vantage point but probably not the best position.

Thanks, LazloW! I was thinking exactly the same, but wasn't sure how to include it in my waffle. They train their kids in the dark arts because it is worth a  lot of money. And a lot of money is something Manchester City know a lot about. So their "gamesmanship" has won them the chance of another £50 and a couple of slices of pizza! Well worth it!

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

Embarrassing performance. That is just genuinely shocking, both tactically and individually. I get we needed to win away games, which we have been doing to Warne's credit, but that's 2/2 losses at home and we didn't deserve to win in both. What's the point in winning away if you can't win at home?

When Liam was in charge (not that long ago) we were desperate to start winning away. Didn't realise we might have to sacrifice the  home form to have our wish granted ?

6 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

What is the skill gap between a strong Real Madrid team full of internationals and a third tier side in Spain and the champions of Moldova?

It’s pretty huge, isn’t it?

What is the skill gap between academy players of the champions of England and a top five club in Europe, and a mix of senior and reserve players of a club at League 1 level?

Much of the City side will be aiming to go out on loan to clubs at our level or perhaps in League 2, won’t they?

So it’s much closer, no?

What is the outrage here?

Most of those players already have hundreds of games at championship level.  A couple higher .  A dreadful result against against a team of kids who have been beaten and indeed thumped by 3 teams at this level in 12 months.  Kid yourself otherwise if you wish.

45 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Does anyone remember when Real Madrid once lost to a third tier side in the Copa del Rey?

Or when they lost to a Moldovan side in the Champions League?

Footballers and coaches are human. Off nights can happen. Upsets can happen.

This is only worrying if we follow up tonight with poor shows v Ipswich, Exeter and Bristol Rovers.

Let’s see.

I don't think this was an upset.A third divisions reserve team lost  to the Under 21s of one of the best and richest club sides in the world.An upset? Nope.

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Most of those players already have hundreds of games at championship level.  A couple higher .  A dreadful result against against a team of kids who have been beaten and indeed thumped by 3 teams at this level in 12 months.  Kid yourself otherwise if you wish.

Thumped by three teams in 12 months. I dont think a single player from tonight even played in two if those games, guven how much youth squads change each year. Mansfield only just managed a 3-2 win thanks to a winner towards the end of the match. That was Mansfield's best 11 too.

Carlos Borges scored another hat-trick against Sevilla in the UEFA youth league last month.

Has played at every level of Portugal international youth football up to under 19s.

Just one of the twelve international players they cited as the reason for postponing their game last month when it would have much better suited us to play it.

Absolutely ridiculous saying it’s the worst performance/result in our history. Nobody cares about this competition, we had a weakened team out against a class U21 side. I’ll have forgotten about this result by tomorrow. It’s a nothing game in a shocker of a competition. It won’t even register. Far from an embarrassment. Move on.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Thumped by three teams in 12 months. I dont think a single player from tonight even played in two if those games, guven how much youth squads change each year. Mansfield only just managed a 3-2 win thanks to a winner towards the end of the match. That was Mansfield's best 11 too.

Beaten by two. Thumped by one.  Based on what I'm reading tonight, same team or not is irrelevant.  They had one of the best 5 teams in Europe then as well with just as much choice on youngsters I'd assume and lost 5-0 to Rotherham.  They still had U21 as part of the moniker as well.   We didn't really play a reserve tonight either lets be honest.