Derby v Man City U21s Matchday Thread

archram

34 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

How do you point toward a collective attitude and tone? Just read the room.

It's not the individual posts people are making, although if it was your 'hangdog posts and raging impatience' line would be pertinent as it comes across as an attempt to dismiss the thoughts of anyone who've having doubts based on what they've seen so far.

My previous post about the focus on Man City covered some of this - it takes away the focus from our own performance, but people aren't generally bothered so much by the fact we lost to Man City's U21s, more so our own performance in doing so.

As you said yourself "I doubt there's anyone who doesn't think there's allot of rebuilding work still to do" - in which case people voicing their concerns clearly aren't showing raging incompetence, just concern.

Comments like "I've never been more embarrassed to be a Derby supporter" and "we can't win consecutive games" are what i had in mind, just as 2 examples. Allot of the stuff goes much further than merely 'raising concerns', or at least come across to me that way. The counterpoint views have mainly been posters pointing out that we weren't playing against any ordinary U21 side and our own selection had an element of 'training game' approach which produced a poor performance that many felt others were reading too much into.

I expect negative comments after any defeat but these, coming after a good performance on Saturday seemed well OTT to me.

3 hours ago, alram said:

i am not complaining about that. just that's it's an eye opener at wher we are as a club.

i dont care if it's the u23 side of the richest club, it's still an u23 side which a team of senior players should beat. most of them in that team won't go on to play prem football.

Sorry and all that but that is so naïve and just plain wrong.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Comments like "I've never been more embarrassed to be a Derby supporter" and "we can't win consecutive games" are what i had in mind, just as 2 examples. Allot of the stuff goes much further than merely 'raising concerns', or at least come across to me that way. The counterpoint views have mainly been posters pointing out that we weren't playing against any ordinary U21 side and our own selection had an element of 'training game' approach which produced a poor performance that many felt others were reading too much into.

I expect negative comments after any defeat but these, coming after a good performance on Saturday seemed well OTT to me.

I am finding a new breed of fan rising from ashes of admin, that seems over the top with comments.

If we lose, worst game ever, sack the players, talking like defeats aren't a normal part of the game. It's so frustrating it's like they've not watched football before.

Maybe I just missed them before but especially online at least, some of our fans are becoming very intolerable at times.

And that isn't a dig at anyone in particular, this forum is by far the best for reasonable debate and opinion. FB makes me want to just quit football at times 

Edited by LERam

3 hours ago, Crewton said:

Oh absolutely, I agree about those sort of comments, but I guess I'm just looking at them as purely reactionary rather than their proper assessment.

TBH I think we're coming at the same issue from different angles, OTT reactions either way.  (That's why I said 'equally' in response to your original post)

I know myself that nothing I've said has been intended to lack balance or worse be against Warne, but sometimes it feels like I'm being accused of being  / grouped in with the above so probably take it too personally? 

I do still think there are certain posters though who are putting up a bit of a front and will present everything Warne does in unwarranted glowing terms, even making out any negatives as positives (spin spin spin)- the hypocrisy of 'you can't judge after 6 games' being applied to one manager by people happy to written off another after 10, and seem to have decided that Warne is brilliant based mainly on us getting 2 away wins. It's just weird IMO, but I could see it happening a mile off.

I've had some Old J spiced rum since my earlier posts though so, um, yeah.

Edited by Kokosnuss

2 hours ago, LERam said:

I am finding a new breed of fan rising from ashes of admin, that seems over the top with comments.

If we lose, worst game ever, sack the players, talking like defeats aren't a normal part of the game. It's so frustrating it's like they've not watched football before.

Maybe I just missed them before but especially online at least, some of our fans are becoming very intolerable at times.

And that isn't a dig at anyone in particular, this forum is by far the best for reasonable debate and opinion. FB makes me want to just quit football at times 

a lot of these so called new breed fans are just school kids and people who do not think before posting.

3 hours ago, Crewton said:

Exactly. We’re away at Liverpool. So Lord knows when we’ll next see as much talent at PP. Mansfield was the problem. It was a pleasure to see the wunderkinds on show  (and on another day we would have beaten them). Remember the names 

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Some of the best players in the world at that age. And each generation is stronger that the last. Have you forgotten what we’ve just been through? We did ok 

i have higher expectations of the team we played most were right off the mark. 

4 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Some of the best players in the world at that age. And each generation is stronger that the last. Have you forgotten what we’ve just been through? We did ok 

Not one of their players would make a world's best U21 first second third fourth or fifth best team..they were a lot better than us because we played like a training game..they deserved to win...but we made them look a lot better than they are..

12 hours ago, LERam said:

Its not just when we lose. Its similarly OTT when we win. Suddenly we're going to win the league, PW is god,etc then we lose and it starts again in reverse! Seems worse since we appointed PW as few fans seemed to assume we're then automatic champions.   

57 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Its not just when we lose. Its similarly OTT when we win. Suddenly we're going to win the league, PW is god,etc then we lose and it starts again in reverse! Seems worse since we appointed PW as few fans seemed to assume we're then automatic champions.   

Fans invest a lot of themselves in the team and with the rise of social media it’s now too easy to display it.

Having watched our success in the 60s and 70s I remember the fun it can be. I think last season evoked that feeling but without the success, this season we ‘need’ to have success (imho). 

6 hours ago, Yani P said:

Not one of their players would make a world's best U21 first second third fourth or fifth best team..they were a lot better than us because we played like a training game..they deserved to win...but we made them look a lot better than they are..

The world's best U21 side would be mid-table in the PL.

Generally speaking, England age groups are at the following level of ability:

England U21s - Upper Championship to lower PL
England U20s - Mid to Upper Championship
England U19s - Upper L1 to Mid Championship

Man City had a full international at CM, and 1x U21, 2x U20, 3x U19 and 3x U18.

Three or four of the U21 team have been in several Man City squads this season.

I'm willing to bet at least half of that team we just lost to will be playing Championship football next season.

Wigan, Ipswich, Wycombe, Hull, Portsmouth, Plymouth, Sunderland and Rotherham have all lost to U21 sides over the past 3 seasons. All have either won promotion during that period, or are in a very good position to do so this season.

All things considered, it's not a disaster for our second string 11 of players needing match fitness to lose to a very good U21 side.