Our "Why Wall"...

IslandExile

Derby born (Nightingale, a popular place !!?)

My Dad took me to my first match at the BBG in January 1959 - see picture below that still hangs in Pride Park. I was somewhere on that picture on the Popside. PNE in a FA Cup match 2-2.     2 or 3 inches of snow on the pitch and on the terraces. The match would not have been played now a day.

DERBY PLAYED IN RED !!!! ? and I see both teams had white shorts.

'Forever Derby' from that day onwards even though I have lived 50 miles away since 1967.

Two daughters both keen Rams fans and season ticket holders. Although the eldest had a brief skirmish with Coventry the year they won the Cup but I soon put a stop to that !!!

We still travel the 100 mile round trip.        IT'S IN YOR DNA.

C6148657-1942-474E-AEF2-B28D6EB3CB86.jpg

Scouts asked me to sell Derby Telegraphs at the BBG in the Cox days to raise funds.

Decided a liked it and bought a junior season ticket as the papers were a hassle.

Family were from Darn Sarth and not into football until my dad started going with me in Roy McFarland (management) era then didn’t miss a season until he passed away 10y ago.

Edited by Dean (hick) Saunders

My Dad worked at the BBG as a chef for the executive boxes, I'd just started watching football and all my friends were Liverpool or Forest fans so I was desperate to start going to matches, so one day he snuck me in with him.  

I know it's cliché, but the second I stepped foot in the ground I just knew. That place was something else. I'd hang around in the boxes from 11am watching the highlight packages on the tiny TVs they had, watch the game from wherever I could, and then stand in the corner of the kitchen (it was a box, and a small one at that) until cleandown was done, then we'd go over to the players lounge so I could get the same autographs each week. 

Sadly it all ended when the Pride Park move happened and they hired actual caterers, but the hooks were well in by then. Me and the old man still go when we can, but I never managed to talk him out of being a Spurs fan...

1 hour ago, gfs1ram said:

Derby born (Nightingale, a popular place !!?)

My Dad took me to my first match at the BBG in January 1959 - see picture below that still hangs in Pride Park. I was somewhere on that picture on the Popside. PNE in a FA Cup match 2-2.     2 or 3 inches of snow on the pitch and on the terraces. The match would not have been played now a day.

DERBY PLAYED IN RED !!!! ? and I see both teams had white shorts.

'Forever Derby' from that day onwards even though I have lived 50 miles away since 1967.

Two daughters both keen Rams fans and season ticket holders. Although the eldest had a brief skirmish with Coventry the year they won the Cup but I soon put a stop to that !!!

We still travel the 100 mile round trip.        IT'S IN YOR DNA.

C6148657-1942-474E-AEF2-B28D6EB3CB86.jpg

Magic picture. Football in the snow. Brown ball. That lovely mixture of cold hands but sweaty shirt from running around the pitch {as a player}.

We had a black and white TV that made it impossible to tell apart red from blue, that narrowed the list of squads down a bit, also i did not like the idea of supporting an overly popular club or one considered a big club, as i had a rebel streak from early on.  i liked the way Derby County played and the clincher was when i saw and read the first interviews with Brian Clough.  i decided he was my kind of lunatic.  Never looked back since, or regretted following this great club through all the ups and downs.

9 hours ago, Wistaston Ram said:

image.png.3664945a6c1cea9e0dc8013eff81b7c4.png

Have to tag this one because Todd was the greatest I ever saw at the BBG or PP. He played football for a later age (prize to anyone who spots that reference) mostly with the outside of one foot. And on a pitch like a peat bog. Paul Ince, Edgar Davids, and many more, eat your hearts out  

Anyway ...  My grandfather was born in Spondon, my father in Chadd, both supporters of course. I was born in Mickleover. Always loved football. How could it be possible to support anyone else ?

Edited by kevinhectoring

Neighbour got freebie tickets, and dragged me along.  Only drew 0-0 with Carlisle, but the players were then handed a big shiny trophy for being the best team in the land, and we all had one massive party. Parades, open top busses, front page headlines…

I guess I just thought it would be fun following the best team in the land!  ?

Born in ilkeston in the late sixties,made the choice of derby over forest as a kid,probably due to our success at that time.

Went to matches with my uncle (my dad wasn't into football) and played for the ilkeston junior rams for years as striker winning the cup at the baseball ground twice which cemented my love of all things derby.

As I grew up and moved away I had a lapse from watching us live for a long time but came back when Mac livened us up again and have been a season ticket holder pretty much since then.

Despite living a county away now,I indoctrinated my lad who is stuck with the trials and tribulations of being a rams fan too....poor sod!

I love football but only moved here from the North west in the 90’s. Regardless of affiliations, supporting  your local team is a must. Derby has been welcoming beyond measure to me, it just made sense. I owe this club so much for rekindling youthful pleasures and giving me a later life enthusiasm to cherish. Memories of crackling radio commentary of European matches in the 70’s when we were a force to be reckoned with and the chance to dream of what could be. There is something special about a 1 club city. It brings us together. 

13 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Magic picture. Football in the snow. Brown ball. That lovely mixture of cold hands but sweaty shirt from running around the pitch {as a player}.

Brown or Orange ball ? Remember a lot of snow games having an orange ball in the 70’s so not sure when they came in ? Pretty sure the Man Ure 4-4 Boxing Day game was played with an Orange one.