Our "Why Wall"...

IslandExile

OK, PW has introduced a "Why Wall" for the players......so we should have one.

Why do you support Derby County? Why? What motivates you to go through......well you know.....all of the pain, misery, heartache - and a bit of pride and fun thrown in.

Me? Born in Derby (Nightingale).

Nursing-Home-Memel-Cropped-220x350.jpg.aa00140c6135d62edfae11be35261362.jpg

(Apologies, think we have had similar threads before but repeats have never stopped us. Moreover, it's in this new context of a 'wall')

Edited by IslandExile
Added photo of the Nightingale

Why? Simple really, born in Derby, love football, was taken to games early on and it just stuck like a wart.

When you put the "pain" into context, it's nothing compared to life events thrown at us with illness and deaths.

Social media likes to dramatise everything these days, delete club, finished, all the generic nonsense peddled through memes.

The last 12 months have been rough, don't get me wrong, however events such as losing a local Derby and play off final, these lows are what make the highs feel so good.

As a seven year old I fell in love with this beautiful shirt complete with red number.  My uncle took me to see Derby for the first time at Villa Park (he was a Villa fan) and I just remember how great we looked!   Lost 4.0 and the rest is history

I was also into collecting Panini football stickers at school.

image.png.3664945a6c1cea9e0dc8013eff81b7c4.png

Edited by Wistaston Ram

3 hours ago, IslandExile said:

OK, PW has introduced a "Why Wall" for the players......so we should have one.

Why do you support Derby County? Why? What motivates you to go through......well you know.....all of the pain, misery, heartache - and a bit of pride and fun thrown in.

Me? Born in Derby (Nightingale).

Nursing-Home-Memel-Cropped-220x350.jpg.aa00140c6135d62edfae11be35261362.jpg

Snap!  Born in the Nightingale.  Grandpa was a Steward at DCFC, Dad went with him and so did I when I was 6.  3 generations walking down to the BBG every other Saturday.  When my son came along, we were able to once again, be a 3 generation 'team' walking to PP. Now he has 2 young daughters, so the pressure is on to continue the tradition!.....

Edited by RedSox
Fat fingers!

My dad was an orphan and during the 2nd world war was evacuated to chesterfield .... He got treated badly and kept running away and said he always ended up in Derby before he got caught and taken back to the orphanage..... He told me this when I was about 6 years old and I decided to be a Derby fan cos that was where my dad was happiest when growing up ..... Imagine if he has lived chesterfield ...I would have been double f***** 

"It's in my DNA Yeuth..."; I remember clearly the moment I became a Derby fan. I was 4 years old. It's was one of those "frozen moments inside the jelly room" when some moment in your life resonates - and you have a strong sense that something very significant just occurred. The pull of watching a Derby County match is irresistible for me - even as a student living in Bristol in the 1980's I would drive up to watch a home game and drive back the same night. 

As a 57 year old now, I am much more sanguine about a Derby defeat but STILL,  like all of us, I get unashamedly happy with a victory. Suddenly, life is a happier place when we've won. Years and years of "happy moments" have become inextricably interwoven so the feeling will never be extinguished or diminished. I am, I suppose, addicted to Derby County.  Now, both of my sons are Rams and share the experience so, I suppose, if I had to post a picture on Our Wall, it would be of Edward and William at the game with me.  

at the game with ed & will.jpg

Born in Derby, dad was a Rams fan,(saw Steve Bloomer play), brother also Rams fan. Both have now gone so just me left supporting them. All mother's side are mutants from up the A52 and live around Long Eaton. Saw my first game in 1959, went with our kid, lost 1-7 to Middlesbrough, Clough didn't score and Jack Parry got our goal, hell of a start. Left Derby in 1984 lived in Manchester and Missouri but still supported them from a distance. Although I had a season ticket for first season in PP and only missed one game while living in Manc land. Now living in Scotland but have a season ticket. Might get to 9 or 10 games this season but thought the club needs the money so why not.

Edited by BobdeBilder
can't spell

1 hour ago, David said:

You look like you was watching Rowettball ?

I was reading a copy of the Ram and it was before kick off. I think we were in the Popside, but maybe the Ossie End as it got a bit too rowdy for my grandad later on. We then moved to the Ley Stand and sat down. My memory isn't so good any more for specifics, but I do remember some of those night games at the BBG were great.

I also remember (or do I?) his stories of climbing into the Ossie stand with my Nan, post war, when there'd been bomb damage!

Edited by RoyMac5

I have never lived in Derby, never felt the urge to. Had a season ticket since 1965 though with the exception of one year when working abroad. 

Started off with a leaning towards Southampton as they were my local club at the time. Life is never boring as a Rams fan (apart from when we are not playing football on the grass or mud).