Our "Why Wall"...

IslandExile

3 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

Spelling not my strong point.?

I got it wrong regarding the Ewarts bit because although they were on the same site as Leys  near the BBG they were actually chain makers I seem to remember .

Those pea soupers were fun at BBG though .

Father's curse for me. He luckily saw us win the league and pay in Europe.

I did see us go unbeaten at home for my first six games in 93/94 until a Steve Bull hat trick made my world end. I realised that being a Ram was often a beautiful wave of hope and joy followed by a crushing blow laced with abject despair...

Good times, great days. Still going back for more agony 30 years on.

As for the 'why'... It's still a great touch point with all the men in my family and now my football obsessed nephews!

Another "born in Derby", thing was my family didn't particularly like football.  I had two old panini stickers stuck to the lid of my desk at school, Ipswich and Derby, I followed the results of both teams, but when pointed out to 6 year old me that Inwas born in Derby too, my choice was made. They are as stuck with me as I am them. 

My Dad, Jozef, was from Poland and stayed in England after WWII. Moved to Derby in 1947 (one the first Poles in Derby!!) and worked on the railways, then Ley's Foundry.

Him and several other Poles finished work at lunchtime on a Saturday, then went to the BBG, and apart from the pub, was about the only thing they could afford top go to in those days. For some reason, they always stood in the Osmaston Paddock side of the pitch?

My grandmother & mother lived on Douglas Street, less than 1/2 mile from the BBG, so it was inevitable that my Dad, and Uncle Kevin, took me to the BBG, which is now over 60 years ago, and as I write this note, I can remember every detail.

60+ years of following Derby County Football Club, home & away, including paying for a season ticket when I was overseas - what a journey with the highs, lows and controversies. 

Derby County F.C. will never die with the support the people of Derby, Derbyshire and beyond have shown in the last 2 years. May it continue even when the football is not as good as we want it to be.

My dad, Archie ( see my name!) lived inShardlow til he was 8 and when the family moved to Leics he defied all his elder brothers ,who became bindippers, and stayed a Ram. Really strange as he was a very mild mannered man and I never knew him argue with anyone. Obviously I’m very grateful he kept the faith!

11 minutes ago, archram said:

My dad, Archie ( see my name!) lived inShardlow til he was 8 and when the family moved to Leics he defied all his elder brothers ,who became bindippers, and stayed a Ram. Really strange as he was a very mild mannered man and I never knew him argue with anyone. Obviously I’m very grateful he kept the faith!

My dads called Arthur, also known as Arch.

Lived in derby but my family didn't go to football because of the trouble in the 80's. They were from lincolnshire but my great uncle always  supported derby. Went to one game when I was 8 against Barcelona, then used someone's season ticket for the league by xmas we'd been multiple times, got half season tickets and never looked back. It's a life of pain but i wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. 

Born in Ilford, moved to Waterlooville when 2 then to Luton from 6 -10.

At Luton became aware of football and started supporting Derby, not really sure why but the school was call Ramridge. This would have been 1976 because the first match I recall was the the FA Cup semi.

Moved to Southampton (10-18, watched a lot of games at The Dell) then Bognor Regis, then Worthing (watched a lot of games at the Goldstone) and finally, at the age of 51 I moved to Derby, hurrah!!

On 04/10/2022 at 19:14, RodleyRam said:

Father's curse for me. He luckily saw us win the league and pay in Europe.

I did see us go unbeaten at home for my first six games in 93/94 until a Steve Bull hat trick made my world end. I realised that being a Ram was often a beautiful wave of hope and joy followed by a crushing blow laced with abject despair...

Good times, great days. Still going back for more agony 30 years on.

As for the 'why'... It's still a great touch point with all the men in my family and now my football obsessed nephews!

Referred to exactly the same way in our house - Dad and all uncles from Derby and were on the terraces in the 70s. The misery part of it got inflicted on the next generation (and beyond) but can't complain. There's something special about it, even the losing to non-league Crawley, Chorley, can't-take-any-more-ly? in the FA Cup.

Haven't ever lived in Derby myself but made the ultimate sacrifice to get a season ticket in the late 90s, living in... you know where (while studying).

I swear, y'r honour, I neither bribed nor even encouraged my kids to accept this bittersweet way of life, so it must be a perpetual curse of the kind @RodleyRam describes. Their first game was a Man City one (not vs Derby)... the oldest was born in west London... they chose Derby. There's no accounting for taste.

Born in Graham st and used to see crowds of people walking past as we played in the street and could hear the noise from the BBG.

I was child number 10 out of 13 and dad couldn't afford to take us all to the match,  but did take one of us occasionally for things like birthdays and it was my turn in 68 for my 5th. 

It didn't take us long to find other ways of getting into the ground and we got in one way or another loads of times, have to pay for the season ticket now, but wouldn't have it any other way. 

Easy for me, had no real choice! It was through our Family, from top to bottom Cousins, uncles and more.

My Grandad (my Dad’s dad) lived on Dashwood Street, so going to a game was hardly difficult. My Great Grandad on the other side (Who probably saw Steve Bloomer play) was from Draycott, and took my Dad when he was a lad, we are talking 3rd Division North days.  Dad took me from about 7 in ‘79 when we got relegated, but it didn’t put me off, in fact was completely hooked.  We stopped going for a while as my dad was worried about me getting hurt due to flying chairs and coins, but started going again at secondary school age, and loved every second, even typing about it now makes the hairs on my arms stand on end.  The walk towards the ground.  Cold crisp nights on the pop side, touching distance of the players.  Occasional forays into the A, B or C stand, the luxury of sitting down and the heady mix of smells of Bovril, cigarillos, and very old wooden beams and floors at half time.  All just shear bloody magic!  I took a lot of crap from Gumps at school at the time, but I was never going to the dark side!

Followed them ever since as and when I could.  I lived in Hatfield as a student, and if I wanted to listen to a match (or just felt a bit homesick) would drive up to Stevenage, where, with careful positioning of my Vauxhall Viva, would just about get Radio Derby on Medium wave. Came home after uni, never to leave the area.

Season ticket holder with my Dad, Took my lad when he was about 5, so got him hooked good and early we three go to every home game.

So, to cut through the waffle…. Why Derby?  For me it’s tradition, family, and Pride in my home city and club.