Cambridge Utd v Derby (A) matchday thread

archram

Good half on the whole with a couple interesting things:

- It's a very very attacking line up, there's almost an arrogance with how attacking we are currently shaping up.

- We aren't really playing with Wingbacks as such with both Barkhuzien given a lot of license to go forwards. 

- Still looking to play football which is good to see. A few more loose long balls but still an emphasis of keeping it on the deck just trying to get forwards faster. 

- The press is very aggressive, which is leading to a decent amount of pressure however there is gaps on occasion especially at the back especially with how attacking the line up is. Possibly looking like we need more pace at the back.

- Seems to be a high degree of fluidity in midfield. Bird isn't sitting at all really and has seemingly got a license to pop up wherever he wants. 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Would we have closed the defender down like that previously? 

#LonglivetheWarneRevolution #COYR

Oh I'm not commenting really on why. To be honest I think it's less about the initial closing down and more the overall pressure for continually doing and backing it up.

So first half thoughts. Generally we are playing in a positive and more aggressive fashion, plenty of hard work and some nice touches.

We’re matching up well against a very physical side.

We’re looking get Dobbin through everytime we can. Sadly he’s been offside a few times.

Hourihane is clearly under instruction to play through balls and cross as soon as he gets the opportunity.

Bird has been running the midfield for large parts, mopping up and using his passing range to good effect.

I was worried about the wide players being deployed too deep, but they aren’t and are a good outlet.

Wildsmith has dealt really well with the ariel threat.

Overall it’s looking fairly positive, not as pretty as before, but not ugly football either. My only concern is if we drop off fitness wise as we’ve put a shift in so far.

Liked what I saw first half overall as saw an immediate new blueprint of how we will play. Yes, there were limited clear cut chances but the team was noticeably more intense. Hunted down second balls in packs and gave Cambridge no time whatsoever to settle. We didn't keep the ball for keeping the ball sake, no messing around at the back, limited use of Wildsmith's feet, a willingness to mix it up and punt it forward occasionally (hardly ever saw that before). All in all, it looked like it could be more effective football for League One in style, and certainly less risky at the back. And you could say that goal was exactly what Warne sign posted pregame about the sort of goals you need to score in this league, we were trying to pass it in before.

12 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Whilst it was a good finish and we deserved it, that goal was a peak league one goal ?

A clearance into a centre back just completely missing the ball 

But isn't that what we've been lacking for so long, the kind of goals that the opposition have been scoring against us for fun?