Rosenior or Warne?

IslandExile

Rosenior or Warne?  

284 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, BriggRam said:

I can see the logic in getting a manager with 3 promotion under his best out of this divizion.....but he's only ever been at 1 club and Eddie Howe didn't do too well the first time he left Bournemouth....I don't know how I feel right now about it, I liked Liam and wanted him to have a good go at it, but also feel something wasn't working and maybe a change now is right.....time will tell............that was the long way of saying, I'm sitting on the fence, I ain't got a clue about this ??

Thanks Dave

No surprise to see the poll fairly split. It’s a choice which I can see the positives and negatives to. Obviously, in this day and age you have to either love something or hate something and fight for one or the other.

Ultimately, I voted for Warne due to the abysmal away form and the fact that despite our home points tally, I can’t say I’ve come away thinking we’ve played well for even the majority of one game. Maybe a half here or there, or spells, but that’s it. We were poor Saturday, poor against Plymouth, poor against Peterborough, poor against Barnsley etc. So I do think it’s disingenuous to hide behind a points total as playing like that gets you punished as it did against Plymouth and nearly at the weekend. 

With all that said, I like LR. Do I think he could have got it right? Yes, probably eventually. He talks a good game, but maybe he was trying to install tactics which were more suited to Man City than League One Derby though. 

If we'd brought Warne in at the start of the season, and allowed him to sign players that he wanted for the system that he wants to play, I'd have supported that, even though I might not enjoy the style of football (assuming he'd play similarly to his Rotherham team). But given that we've got a squad 80% of which has been signed by Rosenior, I'd have stuck with him for the season at least, unless it was made clear that the squad wasn't happy with him and his coaches. 

Having listened to the Rotherham people talk about Warne, he sounds like Nigel Clough.

If that's true, this all makes perfect sense. David Clowes wants stability and to build the club sustainably. The key to that is to get the right manager who will make decisions for the long term. 

I think Liam would also fall into that category, the difference is that Warne has a track record and Liam doesn't, so it's more likely that Warne will get the decisions right. I suspect that Clowes sees this appointment as a long term one.

Of course, nothing is ever guaranteed, but with this context, the decision appears logical.

I don't know enough about Warne that I could say I'd prefer him.

But I answered this more on ideological level. I don't think club of our size should be practice run for the new managers. And with experienced I don't mean the old dinosaurs we often see supported here but someone who has learned from his/her early mistakes already.

29 minutes ago, Srg said:

No surprise to see the poll fairly split. It’s a choice which I can see the positives and negatives to. Obviously, in this day and age you have to either love something or hate something and fight for one or the other.

Ultimately, I voted for Warne due to the abysmal away form and the fact that despite our home points tally, I can’t say I’ve come away thinking we’ve played well for even the majority of one game. Maybe a half here or there, or spells, but that’s it. We were poor Saturday, poor against Plymouth, poor against Peterborough, poor against Barnsley etc. So I do think it’s disingenuous to hide behind a points total as playing like that gets you punished as it did against Plymouth and nearly at the weekend. 

With all that said, I like LR. Do I think he could have got it right? Yes, probably eventually. He talks a good game, but maybe he was trying to install tactics which were more suited to Man City than League One Derby though. 

Nail & head. 

Despite my somewhat tongue in cheek post at the top of this thread, I've gone with Warne.  A vote with my head.  My heart says Liam inasmuch he's given his all, stuck by us and, without his graft, we'd probably not have half as a competitive club as we do now in terms of players through the door.  He gets huge thanks from me on that.  But....

..... yes we're 7th, but with the players we have, so we should be, if not higher.  We've not won away. Not even scored.  We've lost from winning positions. Even those wins we have had, none were easy or comfortable, and could have gone either way. Our tactics are readable and more experienced managers are setting up "lesser" teams to sit, then press, catch the error, and score. It's happening almost every game. Lincoln - we had 67% possession, lost. Plymouth, 2 nil up, lost. Fleetwood, 61% possession, scraped a goalless draw. 74% possession at Shrewsbury, again a goalless draw.  All that possession, nearly all in our half - we're not going to scare team, or score from there.

Many on here have shouted that Bird and Hourihane doesn't work, yet have continued to be played together.  Knight, best attacking midfielder in the league, arguably the Championship too, played at RB (yes I know there was an argument for that, but even so). None of this in truth makes great reading. Hence Warne gets my vote. 

59 minutes ago, Crewton said:

If we'd brought Warne in at the start of the season, and allowed him to sign players that he wanted for the system that he wants to play, I'd have supported that, even though I might not enjoy the style of football (assuming he'd play similarly to his Rotherham team). But given that we've got a squad 80% of which has been signed by Rosenior, I'd have stuck with him for the season at least, unless it was made clear that the squad wasn't happy with him and his coaches. 

No RB though. Don't you think that many of the signings had made up their minds to sign when Rooney was going to be here, I do.

57 minutes ago, Curtains said:

What can I say .

Playing Knight at RB and seeing the demise of Max Bird under Rosenior wasn’t helping Liam’s cause with me 

When we saw Birdy play in preseason against (name forgotten, lol) 'foreign team', I thought that at last we would see him flourish. But no back to CDM and mostly sideways passing. Knight at RB when we've got a youngster to develop is a crime.

Edited by RoyMac5

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

When we saw Birdy play in preseason against (name forgotten, lol) 'foreign team', I thought that at last we would see him flourish. But no back to CDM and mostly sideways passing. Knight at RB when we've got a youngster to develop is a crime.

Herta Berlin. We also have Jake Rooney who I believe we will see a lot more of this season playing CDM enabling Bird to play with freedom in midfield.