Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

8 hours ago, Jubbs said:

I don't get where this idea of "passing football won't work in League 1" is from, it's literally proven to work over the last 5 years or so. 

Did I say that? No I said Roseniors possession at all costs - there is a difference. Oh and if you look at our possession stats I think they are still about 50%.

12 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Warnes style of  football is clearly pragmatic but very energetic which has been proven to work in league 1 if you count the number of promotions he achieved playing that way.

Let's hope the promotion success continues. The DCFC owner has taken a calculated gamble on Warne, giving him a 4yr contract. Mr Clowes is more than likely expecting at least a play off final this season. 

15 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I don't know about this season,but certainly next.

The quality is poor in this league, I’d be disappointed if we didn’t make the play offs. That must be Clowes target too, we were just outside with Rosenior so you’d presume Warne was appointed to enhance our chances. 

I don't usually like the wrist slashers' comments immediately after a game but this time, I'm going to become one.

I had my doubts about Warne's style of play as he was joining us but those fears have just been strengthened further ever since.

Sure he seems a likeable enough guy (compare with wee Billy for example) and he wears a funny sparkling bobble hat.

But, from the little I've seen of Derby since his appointment, and including the full game against Ipswich tonight, if that's Warneball, then nah, no thanks.

Sure, he doesn't have the players to play the style he wants but each of the managers since Lampard could equally say that. For that reason, I'm willing to forego results and a promotion challenge this season.

But I would like to see a stylish, attacking form of football that I don't think we will ever see under Paul Warne. Whether that be in League One or if we get promoted back to the championship.

Fighting for every ball, being organised and productive at set pieces is important but it's not everything. This is meant to be the 'beautiful game' and Warneball just isn't beautiful.

(and it doesn't create that many more chances)

Sorry.

Edited by IslandExile
Chances

3 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I don't usually like the wrist slashers' comments immediately after a game but this time, I'm going to become one.

I had my doubts about Warne's style of play as he was joining us but those fears have just been strengthened further ever since.

Sure he seems a likeable enough guy (compare with wee Billy for example) and he wears a funny sparkling bobble hat.

But, from the little I've seen of Derby since his appointment, and including the full game against Ipswich tonight, if that's Warneball, then nah, no thanks.

Sure, he doesn't have the players to play the style he wants but each of the managers since Lampard could equally say that. For that reason, I'm willing to forego results and a promotion challenge this season.

But I would like to see a stylish, attacking form of football that I don't think we will ever see under Paul Warne. Whether that be in League One or if we get promoted back to the championship.

Fighting for every ball, being organised and productive at set pieces is important but it's not everything. This is meant to be the 'beautiful game' and Warneball just isn't beautiful.

Sorry.

We weren’t even good at the fighting for every ball or being productive at set pieces.

the formation really doesn’t suit our squad at all either, neutralised our wingers by moving them back thirty yards. Slow centre backs in a back three struggling as well. 

tonight was really poor

8 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Sorry.

Neither was roseniors Rooneys or cocus sideways backwards forwards sideways give the ball away and concede. We’ve probably played decent football for 2 seasons in 20’ years which was macs 13 14 team and the season after. Apart from that it’s always been dull except a few games In coughs time 

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

Sorry.

Why sorry?  It’s you’re opinion and you’re one of the most reasoned posters on here.  I can see where you’re coming from.  Myself, I’m a bit torn.  I think LR needed to learn and develop, mainly about being a Nr 1, man-management and the league.  We did look good and pass it well,  it sometimes too slow and over played.  I think PW also needs to learn about the players strengths and capabilities and whether or not they can adapt to what he wants them to do.

PW clearly wants a lot of energy, high press and move the ball quickly.  We have a squad of young players - energy but lacking know- how and older pro’s - know-how but probably not for enough.  PW has alluded to this but if he had a few 23-30 year olds I think we’d be in a better position.  And it’s no-ones fault we don’t have players in that age group.  We’re limited to free transfers and loans and that means your looking at players at the opposite ends of their careers.

I think it will work out for him and this year is about getting everything in place.

I think that there is a complete over reaction to PW by supporters who think promotion is a must this season. The rest of us haven’t even contemplated promotion as a viable goal after the debacle last season. We’ve now got a manager with a successful track record who will most likely get us promoted within his contract, I do agree however that our most talented primarily older players aren’t going to be suited by Warneball but then again they aren’t the future of the club either!

Are the supporters decrying the style of play, the same supporters tearing their hair out when the goalkeeper or defenders gave a goal away trying to play out from the back? 

The style of play wasn't responsible for us losing last night, it was down to the terrible choices of our players in the final third of the pitch, and of course a single mistake from Curtis Davies, who I think incidentally will be out for a while with the injury he picked up. The poor crosses, misplaced passes and inability to beat a player when we the chance to create a goalscoring opportunity were countless last night and that isn't down to style or formations.

Paul Warne may prove to be great or terrible but we aren't the government or Watford, give him enough time for a fair judgement to be made, because a groundswell of negativity this early will definitely not help.

Oh and for those missing the "beautiful game" of the Rosenior era, 20 passes between defenders is definitely not "the beautiful game". I like the way that if the ball is transferred between Cashin, Davies and Chester or the other way around, the next ball is a forward pass to a wing who looks forward rather than back to a centre half. 

Also winning second balls is vital to every system and personally I'd rather put emphasis on winning second balls in the opposition half rather than having to win second balls on the edge of our own box which is increasingly likely while your passing the ball between your own defenders.

Of course there is a balance to be had but I'm sure that the best managers recognise that.