Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

17 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I wasn’t enjoying the tippy tippy stuff .

The fans were appalled at Lincoln with the performance 

The tippy tappy stuff around the back I’m sure over the course of the season would of given at least 5 people a heart attack, it was terrible at times like the players didn’t want to do it but had too, Davies doesn’t look comfortable doing it at all, all season when we’ve attacked teams down the wings and gone at them fast they haven’t been able to handle us but with the slow passing around the back teams get in shape and we can’t break them down, also Lincoln I was their can’t remember seeing a Derby team play as bad for 5 years

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Yes, I wasn't very happy that night, either! 

It will be interesting to see what Warne gets out of the players that changes that. 

He will still have the problem that his experienced players are a bit too old and his younger players aren't experienced enough. I'm interested to see how he blends the two because I am not sure Rosenior had worked out how to do that yet.

As Warne pointed out the mix of players are older players and young players and not many in the 27 year old age or mid twenty category.

He said that was due to circumstances that the club were in .

I felt Rosenior wanted to be Mr nice guy with the players all the time and played players out of position and relied far too much in League 1 from playing out and across the back involving the goalkeeper too much .

After Wycombe I thought he maybe would start to adapt but Clowes had already made his mind up .

I wish Warne all the best as I do Rosenior.

The players need to buy into Warne but it won’t be instant as he inferred .

Warne is Warne and you get what you see by the look of it .

He is a bit of a Brian Clough type character in my eyes. 

I understand, after everything we have been through, the desire for stability and LR is nice guy and had his whole heart in the job however I was unconvinced with our style of play, lots of possession and few real chances. PW does come with a good pedigree and if anyone can get us back to the Championship it's probably him, but this is football and one of its attractions is its unpredictability, time will tell. 

2 hours ago, angieram said:

I agree, Saffy. 

The interview and all the media around it has made me feel uncomfortable,  it's all overkill at this stage.

It went on too long - very complicated answers, thought Warne was trying too hard. My comment about the coffee was only partly in jest, he really needs to calm down a bit! Maybe the club could do the same. We've hardly signed up Fergie - and if we have he's more Darren than Alex! 

From where I sit, the fans were enjoying the fact we were trying to play football, weren't calling for the manager's head, so there's that bit of unease around the way Liam has been treated. He failed his target - so what was that? We were seventh after the start to the season we had, hardly dismissal material.

As for Warne, I didn't like him before, he's very aggressive on the touchline, a bit of a bully with the officials, I sit above the away dug out so see it every game. Seems to encourage his players in the dark arts, Crooks springs to mind as an example. A good footballer, but playing on the edge of legitimacy all the time - more bullying.

I think some players will respond well to him, but others? I don't know. I know I wouldn't want my boss texting me all hours with snippets - there needs to be boundaries, imo.

So, all that touchy feely stuff left me feeling a bit underwhelmed. 

However, what I did like, was when he started talking tactics. He suddenly grabbed my attention and I liked what I was hearing. My fears about the sort of football we're going to see have subsided somewhat, especially as we've not got those sorts of players available to him (currently).

If he can deliver what he says, and if he can tone it down a bit, I'll be happy. But I'm not in the fanclub yet! 

I've not watched the interview because the love-in is all a bit overkill. Let's have our football do the talking and keep expectations managed for now. But I actually don't mind what you say about Warne being a bit of a bully on the touchline and players being on the edge of legitimacy. Too often we are bullied as a team and not streetwise enough, hence we seem to have so many decisions go against us. I get many people won't like it, but as well as playing good football I'd like us to toughen up a bit. I do think this is partly what's needed to win promotion over a long season. Anything to gain an advantage as this will be a long hard slog.

I really like Warne from what I’ve seen so far. Not so much from all the interviews, but from the BBC Moment of Truth podcast. That’s really worth having a listen to if you haven’t already. You really get an insight into what he’s like as a manager and as a person. 

My only concern at this stage is the potential change in direction, tactically. Nigel Pearson’s time here showed you what happens when you try to take a team of players who are used to playing intricate, possession based stuff and try to turn them into “athletes.” I’m pretty sure only Craig Bryson looked like he fitted. The same thing could happen here.

That being said, we shouldn’t assume that he’s going to play a certain way. We just don’t know at this stage.

On Liam, a little harsh yes. A good guy, for sure. But I can’t say I’m disappointed to see us move on from the last remnants of the coaching staff that were part of arguably one of the worst moments in our history.

Fresh start! 

2 hours ago, Srg said:

At this stage, as with any manager, it’s  all a wait and see. Can’t say I’m hugely for it, but at least I’m not against it (Nigel Pearson, anyone?). 

The one thing I will say though, is it is lovely to not be obsessed with celebrity for once. There’s no Lampard, Ashley Cole, Wayne Rooney, Cocu etc etc. even Rosenior to a degree was a tv guy. It’s finally nice to have none of it still in the club. 

Highlighted above is a great way to describe the difference between MM and DC. One obsessed with celebrity and fame , one calm, methodical and happy to be behind the scenes.

Really hope this works, for DCFC and all of us obviously, but for David Clowes as well. we never heard a peep from within the club until the deal was done.

It appears DC conducts his business quietly, professionally and respectfully.

24 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I really like Warne from what I’ve seen so far. Not so much from all the interviews, but from the BBC Moment of Truth podcast. That’s really worth having a listen to if you haven’t already. You really get an insight into what he’s like as a manager and as a person. 

My only concern at this stage is the potential change in direction, tactically. Nigel Pearson’s time here showed you what happens when you try to take a team of players who are used to playing intricate, possession based stuff and try to turn them into “athletes.” I’m pretty sure only Craig Bryson looked like he fitted. The same thing could happen here.

That being said, we shouldn’t assume that he’s going to play a certain way. We just don’t know at this stage.

On Liam, a little harsh yes. A good guy, for sure. But I can’t say I’m disappointed to see us move on from the last remnants of the coaching staff that were part of arguably one of the worst moments in our history.

Fresh start! 

He did say in one of the interviews, when commenting on the fantastic job Liam had done if I recall, that despite having some great youngsters, and very good "older" pros, we could do with a few more in the 23-29 bracket, or similar (don't recall the exact ages). As much as he wants athletes, I think from that comment alone he's realistic about what our current set may be capable of physically, especially the older ones.  That said, I still think he and the new coaching team will push everyone that extra bit more. 

38 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Fresh start! 

They are good points, I'm going to give him every chance.

Sorry, @Carl Sagan I don't want us to turn into the type of team I've always despised, though! 

3 hours ago, angieram said:

I agree, Saffy. 

The interview and all the media around it has made me feel uncomfortable,  it's all overkill at this stage.

It went on too long - very complicated answers, thought Warne was trying too hard. My comment about the coffee was only partly in jest, he really needs to calm down a bit! Maybe the club could do the same. We've hardly signed up Fergie - and if we have he's more Darren than Alex! 

From where I sit, the fans were enjoying the fact we were trying to play football, weren't calling for the manager's head, so there's that bit of unease around the way Liam has been treated. He failed his target - so what was that? We were seventh after the start to the season we had, hardly dismissal material.

As for Warne, I didn't like him before, he's very aggressive on the touchline, a bit of a bully with the officials, I sit above the away dug out so see it every game. Seems to encourage his players in the dark arts, Crooks springs to mind as an example. A good footballer, but playing on the edge of legitimacy all the time - more bullying.

I think some players will respond well to him, but others? I don't know. I know I wouldn't want my boss texting me all hours with snippets - there needs to be boundaries, imo.

However, what I did like, was when he started talking tactics. He suddenly grabbed my attention and I liked what I was hearing. My fears about the sort of football we're going to see have subsided somewhat, especially as we've not got those sorts of players available to him (currently).

If he can deliver what he says, and if he can tone it down a bit, I'll be happy. But I'm not in the fanclub yet! 

Nicely reasoned post I think. What I would say is that after all the crap we have had to endure over the last 2 / 3 years, I can imagine it would be very easy for people to jump on any glimmer of positivity. 

I remain open minded about ? at the moment, but will obviously get behind him and the team.

Who thinks we will score our first away league goal on Saturday?

Warne said himself he will adapt his tactics to match current playing staff and league he’s in.

We are not good enough to always play out from the back ( I’ve had too many heart in mouth moments already this season thank you very much).

if we do become a little more direct but more successful, then so be it. 

Surely we all want DCFC to get out of League 1 as quickly as possible?

Come on you ? 

3 hours ago, angieram said:

I agree, Saffy. 

Fair points @angieram but it would be very odd if on day 2 both he and all those now working for and alongside him weren’t working hard, or even too hard, to impress. Like any new employee (and colleagues) in any new role you do want to make a positive impression - Warne on us and the staff at MF, and vice versa. Shaun Barker talks positively about him and that’s a good referee in my book (excuse the pun)

I liked Liam, the honesty of his public utterances post match, his loyalty and the style of play he wanted us to play. I enjoyed the moments of high tension at the back. I enjoyed a lot of the football we played. I liked his recruitment. I would have been happy for him to stay and I hope he does well elsewhere. He’s left well. But my view counts for nothing in David Clowes eyes and he thought differently. And I like the look of the guy he’s chosen to replace him. So far. Results will be all, as ever.

What I hope above all is that Warne has at least two years and preferably 3 and more. The club desperately needs stability of management, in my view, over a medium/long period. Too much change in that role has had a bad effect.

3 hours ago, Topram said:

The tippy tappy stuff around the back I’m sure over the course of the season would of given at least 5 people a heart attack, it was terrible at times like the players didn’t want to do it but had too, Davies doesn’t look comfortable doing it at all, all season when we’ve attacked teams down the wings and gone at them fast they haven’t been able to handle us but with the slow passing around the back teams get in shape and we can’t break them down, also Lincoln I was their can’t remember seeing a Derby team play as bad for 5 years

Give the players who are good on the ball more of the ball. I understand that the back line are expected to have the ball more but, it is far too much at the min while slowing the whole play down. Too many risks and over coached to keep the ball in play rather than row z option. 

Paul Warne is the 30th official manager to be appointed while I have been watching DCFC. Of the previous 29, only two excited me at the time of their appointment; Brian Clough and Arthur Cox.

The announcement of Clough didn't blow me away at all but when we heard what he had to say on the day the players returned for pre-season training, I and many others were instantly gripped. We'd never heard anything like it. Looking back it was based on the man's massive self-confidence and huge ego but many of the players rolled up their eyes when they heard him say that he intended to take Derby County to the First Division as soon as possible. By the start of the next season when Clough delivered his promise to take us up, 75% of the players he had inherited had left the club to roll their eyes up elsewhere. We all loved Dave Mackay but his appointment didn't excite us because we were so deflated by Clough's departure. Thankfully, Dave took away our pain for the next four years.

Arthur Cox's appointment was exciting because he walked out on Newcastle after leading them to promotion to the First Division to rebuild Derby from a similar position to that inherited by David Clowes when he completed the takeover. We couldn't believe Arthur had chosen to join us. Arthur, like Cloughie, justified our initial excitement. Jim Smith's appointment wasn't exciting; that didn't come until about five months into his reign.

Paul Warne's appointment didn't excite me. I didn't know enough about him. It felt comfortable because he had taken Rotherham up three times in three seasons in this Division. But when I heard his press conference on Tuesday, I was instantly struck. There was no ego but much common-sense, good man management signals, enthusiasm, commitment, a confidence that he knows what he wants and how to achieve it, no promises other than he would do his best. At the end of it I just felt that here was a man and his coaching team who players will want to play for. I was instantly taken.

So for now, for just the third time in just over 60 years I feel excited at the start of a managerial reign. Cloughie and Arthur gave us 16 years between them. I hope my gut-reaction about Warne proves as good it did with them. We'll see but just for now I'm looking forward to the rest of this season and hopefully a season or two or more after that.

2 hours ago, Big Bad Bob said:

Nicely reasoned post I think. What I would say is that after all the crap we have had to endure over the last 2 / 3 years, I can imagine it would be very easy for people to jump on any glimmer of positivity. 

I remain open minded about ? at the moment, but will obviously get behind him and the team.

Who thinks we will score our first away league goal on Saturday?

Well, strangely enough, I do. But I'm on record as saying we will get our first away win of the season there before the managerial change. So we better do, now! ?

5 hours ago, Topram said:

The tippy tappy stuff is fine if it is being done with a positive intent which is what we weren’t doing as we were not creating any chances from it either by a central midfielder turning and moving forwards with the ball or it being bashed forward to on running forwards. We were just doing it until w gave the opponent an easy chance to score 

I can accept that not everyone likes the tippy tappy stuff, but please don't translate that into us not creating chances, because the stats from every game this season suggest we were creating chances.

Now  if you'd said we weren't converting them, then that I'd understand.

Or even that the chances were harder to take because the opposition have much more time to set themselves up to defend them because of our slow build up play.

But not creating chances? Not true.