Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

1 hour ago, Blondest Goat said:

Disappointing decision for me.  I'm not sure that we'd have been promoted under LR but I'm not sure we will be promoted under the new man either and LR would at least have tried to do it with class and dignity.  After the MM years this would've been enough for me. 

Obviously easy for me to say as I'm not the one who has used my own money to save the club so understand that things are totally different for DC.

That statement reads to me that Warne wouldn't conduct themselves with class and dignity going forward, what gives you that certainty to make that cosmic character judgement of the future.

assuming he's going to watch the games back starting with Oxford, what an absolute mixed bag of performances and results he's got to go off.

for what its worth i think west brom at home was the best we've played, Lincoln away by far the worst. everything else in between with fleetwood and shrewsbury particularly painful viewing. 

5 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

They will all be on one or two year contracts and not on huge wages. But our wage budget is capped by EFL so we can't bring in new players without shipping these ones out.  

Agree the wages will not be huge. But astonished to see in the press they are on a 4 year deal. Don’t get that at all 

I'm sad for Liam like we all are - I thought the turn around in the last match was a sign he was improving. Although its a ruthless move, this does make sense on paper. Big statement from Clowes, especially with the length of the contract. I do feel slightly more confident about our chances of going straight back up now. 

12 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Agree the wages will not be huge. But astonished to see in the press they are on a 4 year deal. Don’t get that at all 

Really? He's in a strong bargaining position and coming from a team in the Championship to a team a league below, who have huge aspirations their chequebook can't currently cover and a history of firing people and not always seeming to honour contracts (from the outside anyway). Not surprised he wanted to be convinced he couldn't quickly and cheaply replaced.

Edited by Chester40

On holiday, and shocked this has happened,  thought Liam has been class and me personally would have given the season to see what he could do  but we obviously knew this could happen with him being only interim manager,  Warne, done ok with Rotherham on a budget , hopefully will do well here  but felt we were getting stability back with LR in charge, but back in the day I was underwhelmed when the bald Eagle took over, so what do I know!!!

34 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Warne was appointed manager of Rotherham on the 28th of November 2016.

2016/17 season ………..24th relegated.

2017/18 season, finished fourth 19 points behind Wigan, beat Shrewsbury in the playoffs……promoted.

2018/19 season…………22nd relegated.

2019/ 20 season……….the infamous points per game season when Wycombe finished eighth with points won but the computer said they’d made the playoffs which they won, the same computer put Rotherham second……..promoted.

2020/21 season………23rd relegated.

2021/22 season……..2nd behind Wigan promoted.

Relegated, promoted, relegated, promoted, relegated, promoted.

……perhaps a twelve month rolling contract would have made more sense ?

I agree 4 years seems excessive, but we had to offer something if we want to get a manager who already had a job.

And yes he has got them relegated from the Championship, but Rotherham have far fewer resources than us. They roughly break even most years and even if we choose to do the same we get almost 3 times their average attendance when we're in league one so we're still going to have more cash to spend.

At the end of the day any feelings towards Liam will soon dissipate if we get promoted this season under Warne. It’s really hard to argue with his experience versus that of a novice. I’ve always thought Liam has spoken about the game impeccably but I’ve never been convinced by his ability to really command the respect of senior players (find his approach quite weak and uninspiring in the clips on RTV).

That said; he’s been an asset to the club in the seedlings of the post-EFL admin era.