Lincoln v Derby (A) Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

4 minutes ago, Norman said:

Nah, not having this "like" farming nonsense. 

In isolation, this squad should be doing better than it is. Especially away from home. It's as simple as that. 

I’m inclined to agree. Short preseason excuses and fitness building are running out of rope for me. Yet I know from the good bits that we have some sound players, many with an elevated skill level for this division. I’d suggest that in the last 2 games we have under performed. I’m not “entitled” .. This is a tough league with some good footballers, no game is a forgone conclusion but with the quality we have, we should have a better yield of points and not be falling off a form cliff which the last 2 games seem to be pointing to. … OK rolls sleeves up, go again and as old school reports used to say .. must try harder. 

16 minutes ago, Warwick Ram said:

Big decision now for Mr Clowes. Stick or twist.

Nice bloke,talks a great game,knows the technical side of things by the book......but,inexperienced and struggling with the practicalities of real football.

I think he will be replaced before long after giving it a good go.

Lots of individual mistakes and frustration tonight. 

Didn't think Barkheuizen had a positive impact and where the flip was Osula? 

McGoldrick gave it a bit of a go. 

So I think Liam tried to learn from Plymouth and put stronger people on the bench but if we can't play better than that as individuals it doesn't really matter what he tries. 

Just now, jono said:

I’m inclined to agree. Short preseason excuses and fitness building are running out of rope for me. Yet I know from the good bits that we have some sound players, many with an elevated skill level for this division. I’d suggest that in the last 2 games we have under performed. I’m not “entitled” .. This is a tough league with some good footballers, no game is a forgone conclusion but with the quality we have, we should have a better yield of points and not be falling off a form cliff which the last 2 games seem to be pointing to. … OK rolls sleeves up, go again and as old school reports used to say .. must try harder. 

Plus the fact these inept away displays with the same mistakes and lack of goals have been going for years - and Rosenior is the common denominator. 

I hope he turns it around, but he can't be free of criticism. Some of these performances go beyond just this group of players.

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

How many games have we played ? 3 points off the top 6. People calling for LR to go. Honeymoon period of celebrating having a team to support didn’t last long ☹️

But it's not going to is it. We are back in the room. The relief of still existing is quickly replaced by expectation and hope. 

We just played our 5,000th League Game and lost to a team who haven't won at home previously this season...and we haven't scored an away League Goal in 6 hours of football.  Our lack of goals is not just us missing chances...it looks increasingly like a pattern and a well-developed trend. It was there last season..."but these are different players" I hear you say. Yes and LR is the constant. I'm not btw advocating a sacking but I've suspected for 4 games now that midfield is the cause...isolated defence, isolated attack, no fluidity between departments, poor shape, wrong tactics, lots of pointless and fruitless possession. A self-fulfilling prophecy is building with players now looking desperate when a goal chance appears and they make the wrong decision. A bright-ish start now sees us drifting downwards. Can LR change it? 

10 minutes ago, Tombo said:

By the way we haven't failed to score at home all season. And in 4 home games in the league we've scored 7 goals. 3 games with 2 goals and only the opening day where we only scored once. Peterborough at home in particular was littered with chances and should have been a full-on pasting.

It's easy to point to these nebulous things like "tactics" and "shape" and then never have to follow up with what you're going on about or if you even know what you're talking about. You can just say "nah, tactics are wrong, shape is wrong". Reminds me of when people used to say "we're missing passion"

I'd like to know exactly what you think is wrong.

Have we been short of opportunities? No.

Have we lost possession too often? No, our possession stats are always sky high.

Have we defended poorly? Yeah, I'd say so in spells but we've conceded 8 goals in 8, which includes conceding 3 in one game at home to Plymouth.

There's nothing wrong with the instructions to my eyes. Nothing wrong with what we've tried to do with the ball, or our shape without the ball. We just seem to play with an remarkable amount of fear for the talent that we have. I think we're suffering from what many of us thought we might and that's that we are a target, and every game is the opposition's cup final. That's what makes away games so difficult is that pressure cooker that leads to mistakes. That's the "royal battle" you're referring to.

I'll absolutely agree that the buck stops with the boss and he has to do something to get it right, but this is what you call a lapse in form - don't tell me you've been watching football this long and never seen one before - which has happened because when we were playing well we didn't finish off the teams in front of us and now we're crippled by second-guessing. It was clear to see when we nearly threw away the two goal cushion vs Peterborough, and then when we did spectacularly vs Plymouth.

You don't get a two goal cushion to throw away if your tactics and shape are wrong. You don't get to get that far. Think about it

To be fair I agree. 
but I think it’s clear.. we don’t have any metal on midfield no hard players to say don’t f*** around with us in midfield. We’re scared to get stuck in mate. 

The problem is midfield, not sure he can change anything until Smith is back

Very disappointed in the players, especially the midfield. Sometimes you have to play teams at their own game, break them down and earn then right to play your game. Too many have no interest in rolling their sleeves up. Not sure how much you can throw at Rosenior to be honest, the players don’t play to the occasion away from home.

Dreadful Performance.

The midfield 2 of Bird and Hourihane is simply not working, need to drop Hourihane and give him a reality check. Both are far too immobile, especially in League 1 where teams let us have possession and put pressure on until we make a mistake. Should have got a RB in the window so we can slot Knight back into the midfield. Even though it's yet to be seen if he is ready, we should give Oduroh a go at RB.

Dobbin I thought was poor, lost the ball too often and didn't create anything up top. I thought Sibley was playing ok so I don't know why he was brought off so early and players like Hourihane stayed on the pitch. 

We seem so easy to play against and Rosenior needs to sort it out fast. Teams let us have the ball and take advantage of errors we make whilst we hardly create anything to make up for the possession. It almost seems more advantageous for our opposition just to give us the ball in our half and wait for us to bugger it up. Lincoln were pretty much doing that, they constantly played long balls which hardly hit their man.  

2 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

The tactic every week seems to be. Start Mcgoldrick and Barkhuizen.

Then bring on Sibley and Dobbin.

That's it. 

The right back situation is bizarre. Needs to bite the bullet and chuck Oduroh in. Because if he can't see Knight is needed in midfield then there's no helping him.

Except today when McGoldrick and Barkhuizen were on the bench?

What are you talking about?