Lincoln v Derby (A) Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Thank you for a well-balanced post and yes, you are completely right about the away experience. I'm lucky to have the opportunity to do it, but it's hard work at times!

And if I was Max Bird I'd be talking to my agent already. Good players don't become bad players overnight, unless they aren't being used correctly.

Jason similar, - he isn't playing badly overall, he's just not being played in the right place.

I think Rosenior is currently a bit over-awed by his "name" players. He's got to get over this and start making the tough decisions, based on winning some matches.

Yes, Hourihane should be used as an impact sub. Knight must be in midfield with Bird and Smith when fit.

Our three most talented forwards are NML, McGoldrick and Barkhuisen (though he was infuriating last night).

11 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think Rosenior is currently a bit over-awed by his "name" players. He's got to get over this and start making the tough decisions, based on winning some matches.

The most over used saying on this thread is "LR is a nice guy", Nice guys are easy prey for hardened pro footballers, It was nice to see a tidy away changing room at Fleetwood, Maybe those players if it was those don't like doing what us mere mortals have to do at home, Bringing in your Captain who's been out through injury for 4 weeks was a nice gesture a mistake imo...but nice, Not dropping Hourihane is a nice gesture as he looks to be a favourite of LR, Telling us the supporter that Knight is a professional footballer and can cope with being at RB...that's a nice compliment I guess, Making a quiet man Vice Captain(Bird)is a nice gesture but I'd prefer one that gets into the officials faces.

Yes LR seems to be a nice man...Football and it's supporters want success...not nice imo.

37 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Luckily didnt see a single minute of last night's night game as paying my respects at Sandringham. I am very much in the "just relieved we have a club" gang but at some point there does need to be improvement in style and/or intensity of play to keep the same upbeat level of support going. Its a huge effort to support Derby away financially and time-wise (as we live away home matches are all "away" for us) and I really admire those who do it. They deserve more than these abject away performances. Those of us who can mainly only go to home matches are shielded from the realities of division 1 as Pride Park still has the same vibe but those travelling to all the away grounds trying to be optimistic are really living the reality of it. 
Its early days still with a mainly new group of players but as many have said, it seems to be getting worse not better. My concern is unless something gives soon and we can see some green shoots it will be difficult, if not impossible, for example to hold on to Knight, say, in January. Its different being happy to be part of a rebuild with a positive vibe to one with sorts of reaction on here so far today, even from those are usually the more positive and less reactive posters

I haven't seen any of these away day horror shows even on Rams TV. Four games away no goals says it all, we cannot use the excuse of last season that we are handicapped we are not now yet still the same problems exist away from home..Yes we have bad refs who seem to give things to the  opposition but we have to get over that.  

19 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Yes, Hourihane should be used as an impact sub. Knight must be in midfield with Bird and Smith when fit.

Our three most talented forwards are NML, McGoldrick and Barkhuisen (though he was infuriating last night).

I think Barkhuisen could be one of our best players. I thought when he has played on the right he has looked brilliant. The problem there is you'd have to move mendes lang to the left. A lot of square pegs in round holes at the moment

And if I was Max Bird I'd be talking to my agent already. Good players don't become bad players overnight, unless they aren't being used correctly.

How is Max Bird being used incorrectly ? He's been poor simple as that as well as Hourihane but both are playing in there preffered position whereas Knight isn't 

Edited by S8TY

Watched it on RamsTV. Regretted it.

Incredibly poor performance mainly due to awful passing, and the fact Lincoln wanted it more.

I’m not of the view we should be changing the manager, though what I do think though is that we have actually got League 1 players now, and delusions that we have players who ‘should be playing at a higher level’ could well be wrong. Thirteenth place behind many so called ‘smaller’ teams tells its own story.

This will likely be a season of consolidation and stabilisation.

Allot of misplaced and overhit passes last night, often prevented us making the most of some promising positions, particularly first half.

I'm not sure if Barkhuizen's shot was poorly placed or whether their keeper had one of those nights when everything hits him, but I was already shouting goal as it left TB's boot. 

I think Curtis was rushed back unnecessarily, Hourihane needs benching, we need to try a different combination in attack perhaps and I'm now an advocate of a Knight, Smith and Bird three in midfield. I'd even go 2-1 or 1-2 up top and let Collins/McGoldrick, Sibley and Dobbin/NML/Barkhuizen float around where they like. 

I thought our support was poor last night but tbf what we were watching on the pitch wasn't very stimulating. The crap at the end that some fans were giving the players was OTT IMO. 

LR sees these players in match situations and training and analyses them to the last iota. Bearing in mind that most of us see them on match days (when it counts), can anyone put forward an argument to why he persists in playing a midfield that evidently doesn’t work? Are the names like Hourihane to big to drop? Is he hoping it will just sort of come good?

5 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

LR sees these players in match situations and training and analyses them to the last iota. Bearing in mind that most of us see them on match days (when it counts), can anyone put forward an argument to why he persists in playing a midfield that evidently doesn’t work? Are the names like Hourihane to big to drop? Is he hoping it will just sort of come good?

Not an argument just an opinion, This is LRs preferred method of play, If you go to War and your armed forces aren't doing to well, You'd better have another plan.

4 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Just my opinion and i'm sure i'll get laughed out of the forum for it but Cocu/Rosenior's brand of football is more boring than Rowett's poohouse tactics. 

i don't care if we only have 10% possession if we score 2+ goals a match and can defend competently.  

We broke a consecutive goal scoring record under Phillip Cocu. Sibley was brilliant breaking through under him and then covid hit.

Many people remember Cocu’s tenure for the start of the second season when we literally had no attacking players who could score.

I don’t think LR is in such a position given we are in a league below. We should be doing better with the players we have at our disposal.

I couldn’t say the same about Cocu at the start of 2020/21. 

19 minutes ago, Crewton said:

2nd offside goal, there's no shot on the replays that shows NML position as the pass is played. 

1st offside goal, Collins looks onside, or at least level. I wonder if the lino assumed the deflection was the point at which the pass was played :

IMG_20220914_150059-01.thumb.jpeg.d4e1bc7dd891a147c4f8603baa760e59.jpeg

Going by that pic Crewton and the angle Collins looks offside to me, Distance from 6 yard line from Collins and their player Collins looks further forward?‍♀️

I think  last night showed the benefits of playing a high pressing game. Lincoln were in our faces right from the start, and kept it up all match long. I had hoped that they would tire as the match wore on, but they didn't. They were also much more committed to the cause, being first to second balls, and were very physical. However, although that normally equates to dirty and thuggish, Lincoln were simply adept at using their bodies well, such as rolling our player off the ball. Although Dobbin had a real go at beating his man, the defender often was able to stop him by this physicality, and this was team wide. It confirms the call on here for Derby to be a bit "nastier".

This press and physicality meant that more than any other match we had no time to settle on the ball, which is something we like to have, and is one of the reasons a  lot of our passes were not good. But there is more: amongst the plethora of cross-field (sideways) passes, many of them stopped any attacking intentions in their path. So many times the pass was played behind the man, so instead of the recipient running on to the ball and keeping the attack flowing, he had to stop and check back and pick the ball up, and the moment was gone. This went on all match. Late on in the game we had a two-on-one attack which we conspired to turn into a goal mouth scramble, which typifies our ability to not make the best of the opportunities we get. And our ponderous approach to the game. Much has been said about the Bird/Hourihane effect, but right at the end of the first half we decide that because of the urgency we wouldn't pratt about with our incredible goal-kick routine, and go direct - Lincoln had lined up to press the goal kick, so we could bypass this with a real goal kick. Well we would have done, if Wildsmith hadn't then picked the ball up and carried it to the other side of the 6 yard box, position it on the ground twice, and then take the kick. Urgent? What urgency?

Someone asked why Sibley was subbed when Horihane was barely keeping his boots warm. Sibley wasn't at his best, but on that basis all 11 should have been subbed! The reason it happened is that it is actually written into the EFL rule book. (I made that up, but it might as well be). I too was puzzled by it, even though I have come to expect it. As regards Collins not doing much - he doesn't get much service, and is being played as a target man, when he isn't one. He should be playing off a target man. But when have Derby ever payed the right man or men off the target man? Not since Mac 1 and Chris Martin. And it worked! Similarly there have been questions about Ohoru. When he came against Plymouth he made a difference, but last night he wasn't very effective because he got stuck out wide right. That is not his game. But it is Derby's game, apparently. What good there was last night is that even when we were so off the game, we still created opportunities, even though we didn't take them.

What we do need is to learn from what is glaringly obvious, from the well documented changes at right back and midfield, to a few minor tweaks with passing accuracy and shifting on to the front foot quicker.

What last night did was to lump a whole load of extra pressure on Saturday's match against Wycombe. It will be interesting to see how Liam approaches this.

Edited by DavesaRam