A Senior Striker

Fraser_23

I still think we’ll re-sign Waghorn… my supermarket ITK is definitely legit ?

In all seriousness, he does fit the “senior” striker bill at 32 now. Think he’s exactly the sort of player Rosenior wants - someone who can come off the bench and make an impact anywhere across the frontline. He knows the club, has experience in this League, and is known for his hard work and graft (despite lacking in actual technical ability). Would provide competition for Collins to start upfront, and can come off the bench on the wing if needed late in games to freshen things up. 

Still think the Daily Mail had to have heard something to put that story out (though maybe that’s giving them too much credit). Probably just “interest” rather than the done deal they made it out to be, but I still think there might be something there.

I had a little nose on transfermarkt to see which “senior” strikers are available on freebies and put together the following list. There are many more than this, but since a certain political event took place there are strict rules around work permits so I’ve included mainly those I think would/could qualify for one either as UK nationals or due to their own profile/most recent employment. It’s listed by the transfermarkt price in descending order (which makes no sense as they’re all free agents so how do they have a value? ??‍♂️)

A couple of them are very unrealistic, some are wingers rather than strikers, some are former rams, some I think are former colleagues of Rosenior’s, some are old and rubbish and not worth consideration….just thought it might be interesting for people to read and speculate;

Diego Costa - 33

Edison Cavani - 35

Matej Vydra - 30

Saido Berahino - 29

Izzy Brown - 25

Aaron Lennon - 35

Oumar Niasse - 32

Andy Carroll - 33

Daniel Sturridge - 32

Scott Sinclair - 33

Hal Robson-Kanu - 33

Callum McManaman - 31

Sammy Ameobi - 30

Robert Snodgrass - 34

Anthony Pilkington - 34

Sam Winnall - 31

Gary Hooper - 34

Nick Blackman - 32

Leon Clarke - 37

Fraizer Campbell - 34

My own thoughts of those listed; Top two names are way beyond us I just added em in for fun, Vydra would be a dream but not sure how he fits the system, think Ameobi could do a job as a wide option if we could stomach his former employment, Andy Carroll a different option but injury prone. Any of them would bring some sort of risk and baggage I guess. Plus it could be a loan option, or something like what happened with Collins….OR Nixon could be full of hot air. 

Carroll is not only fantastic in the air, he's good with the ball on the ground aswell.

Too good and too expensive for League One?

Maybe but it's now almost a buyer's market. If these players just want to play football, they have to accept offers below their expectations.

23 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I had a little nose on transfermarkt to see which “senior” strikers are available on freebies and put together the following list. There are many more than this, but since a certain political event took place there are strict rules around work permits so I’ve included mainly those I think would/could qualify for one either as UK nationals or due to their own profile/most recent employment. It’s listed by the transfermarkt price in descending order (which makes no sense as they’re all free agents so how do they have a value? ??‍♂️)

A couple of them are very unrealistic, some are wingers rather than strikers, some are former rams, some I think are former colleagues of Rosenior’s, some are old and rubbish and not worth consideration….just thought it might be interesting for people to read and speculate;

Diego Costa - 33

Edison Cavani - 35

Matej Vydra - 30

Saido Berahino - 29

Izzy Brown - 25

Aaron Lennon - 35

Oumar Niasse - 32

Andy Carroll - 33

Daniel Sturridge - 32

Scott Sinclair - 33

Hal Robson-Kanu - 33

Callum McManaman - 31

Sammy Ameobi - 30

Robert Snodgrass - 34

Anthony Pilkington - 34

Sam Winnall - 31

Gary Hooper - 34

Nick Blackman - 32

Leon Clarke - 37

Fraizer Campbell - 34

My own thoughts of those listed; Top two names are way beyond us I just added em in for fun, Vydra would be a dream but not sure how he fits the system, think Ameobi could do a job as a wide option if we could stomach his former employment, Andy Carroll a different option but injury prone. Any of them would bring some sort of risk and baggage I guess. Plus it could be a loan option, or something like what happened with Collins….OR Nixon could be full of hot air. 

That his age, or games since he last scored

50 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Diego Costa - 33

Edison Cavani - 35

Matej Vydra - 30

Saido Berahino - 29

Izzy Brown - 25

Aaron Lennon - 35

Oumar Niasse - 32

Andy Carroll - 33

Daniel Sturridge - 32

Scott Sinclair - 33

Hal Robson-Kanu - 33

Callum McManaman - 31

Sammy Ameobi - 30

Robert Snodgrass - 34

Anthony Pilkington - 34

Sam Winnall - 31

Gary Hooper - 34

Nick Blackman - 32

Leon Clarke - 37

Fraizer Campbell - 34

No to nick blackman no thanks.

I take vryda back through.

31 minutes ago, InstaRam said:

Don't really get why we should prioritize a "senior striker" with Collins and McGoldrick seemingly fit? Wouldn't a younger up-and-coming striker from maybe lower league or on loan be more appropriate for us?

And keeper as well as right back seems even more important I guess?

Any young upcoming striker would require a fee. So it’s going to either be a prem loan or an old player who isn’t wanted I’d guess! 

23 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Told from someone that it’s ‘most likely’ Carroll with an outside chance it’s Robson-Kanu. Ambitious if true 

I'd be happy with Carroll if we can keep him fit - never really rated Robson-Kanu though - he has very good games followed by a lot of anonymous ones.....

25 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Told from someone that it’s ‘most likely’ Carroll with an outside chance it’s Robson-Kanu. Ambitious if true 

So it 'might' be one of them two Big Trav....or it might be someone else??? All a bit vague......I will have a word with Beryl.....

Not sure whether senior striker necessarily means an OAP. Could just be a striker over the age of 25 that we’re looking to get on loan or permanent. 

Out of the luncheon club there really isn’t many that get my juices flowing. But maybe we can’t be too choosey for this season. 

Nixon is also hinting that our remaining budget maybe used to get this one over the line. Disappointing if true as I’d liked to have seen 3 players brought in.