This Papa Johns Guff

Rampant

So, do we waste a @Ghost of Cloughmatch thread on this or is this the de facto thread?

From @Shuff264's fantastic investigation of the rules I'd suggest he's missed Fozzy and we should pick our 4 as:

Fozzy (to skipper the side)

Dobbin (to try to get a goal)

Collins (to try to get a goal)

Smith (for fitness)

Loach

Oduroh    Rooney     Forsyth (c)     Grewal-Pollard

Smith     Thompson

Dobbin    Aghatise     Nunn

Collins

If Collins needs a rest then Dobbin up top and Bird in as the fourth man.

31 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Well it’s eleven a side and involves a ball but that’s about all they have in common. The Watney cup was a pre season straight knock out cup. This is a mid season trophy with group stages.

Ah right, my memory just remembers us winning. ?

So it's good to win a cup! #COYR

Unless you are really old and remember the Fa cup win or you supported Derby during the 70s, the odd promotion is the only success in memory and a cup win, whatever cup would be pretty nice. Having said that, not bothered if Derby go out. I am always more keen on the league cup and FA cup- we should ALWAYS go all out to win these. The clubs who have won the league cup - Derby should be on that list but always field weak teams. 
The painful reality is Derby are, at the moment, a lower league side and this is a lower league competition so this is what we should aspire to, as depressing as that is. Dreaming of Wembley! 

40 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

So, do we waste a @Ghost of Cloughmatch thread on this or is this the de facto thread?

From @Shuff264's fantastic investigation of the rules I'd suggest he's missed Fozzy and we should pick our 4 as:

Smith (for fitness)

Loach

Smith     Thompson

Collins

I'd rather Rosie picks his Xi (+ 7 subs) with our L1 campaign in mind. If we pay a 5k fine then so be it. 

I can see the sense in playing Oduroh, Rooney, Thompson and Collins but not Fozzy. If Dobbin and Smith need to boost fitness levels then maybe an hour for them. 

It'd be interesting to see how many of the 48 L1/L2 clubs would vote in favour of having this tournament given a choice. 

55 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Smith (for fitness)

Loach

Smith     Thompson

Collins

Damn, theres always one!

14 minutes ago, samtheram83 said:

A bit of topic but didn’t we get to the final of the Anglo Italian cup and lose vs cremonese?

For some reason I loved the Anglo Italian cup. 

We did. I went to the final and Cremonese were good value for their 3-1 win tbf. Martin Taylor saved a penalty for us too. I think Gianluca Vialli started off at Cremonese. 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Smith (for fitness)

Loach

Smith     Thompson

Collins

I think Aghatise is injured, sadly. Buzzing around on the edge of the squad, got a great shot on him. 

Maybe try Cybulski instead of Collins as he's building his fitness back up. Did okay in pre-season and is the nearest thing we've got to cover at CF.

38 minutes ago, Rampant said:

I'd rather Rosie picks his Xi (+ 7 subs) with our L1 campaign in mind

With us only opening the East Stand for this match I think it’s a big clue in how we will approach this game.

U23s.

Just been talking to my mate, apparently Grimsby fans have been kicking off about this cup for a while now and pretty much boycott it since U23 teams have been invited in.

Played Scunthorpe, their big rivals and only 1000 turned up where a league game would have seen a sell out naturally.

1 hour ago, samtheram83 said:

A bit of topic but didn’t we get to the final of the Anglo Italian cup and lose vs cremonese?

For some reason I loved the Anglo Italian cup. 

That was a great day out - took my eldest lad to Wembley for the first time. It would have been nice to win but for once, a Wembley trip with no "must win" pressure.

2 hours ago, David said:

With us only opening the East Stand for this match I think it’s a big clue in how we will approach this game.

U23s.

Just been talking to my mate, apparently Grimsby fans have been kicking off about this cup for a while now and pretty much boycott it since U23 teams have been invited in.

Played Scunthorpe, their big rivals and only 1000 turned up where a league game would have seen a sell out naturally.

I have been told we should be boycotting it.  Its a "trial" for b teams like they have in spain.    To send a message out to protect the lower league clubs should we be attending?      

25 minutes ago, The_Sheriff said:

I have been told we should be boycotting it.  Its a "trial" for b teams like they have in spain.    To send a message out to protect the lower league clubs should we be attending?      

Makes no odds to me if people attend, I don't think B teams would ever be voted through in the leagues.

If it is a trial for that then it's been a disaster 

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

So you support them through thick or thin, die hard fan, no matter what you'll be there.... Well so long as it's in the Premier League.

Anything else, it's just something to kill the time before Love Island is back on the Tele.

No.

That was just a joke.

The fact I was there yesterday spending £100 on tickets shows that.

Had we been playing Liverpool we still would have left on 85 mins as we had to be out and back on the motorway.