This Papa Johns Guff

Rampant

3 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

While I see the attraction of your idea, the problem is that the money (ie. sponsors and big attendances) only comes when the big EPL teams are involved. 

Where you are right is that there should be some experiments to add more interest.  The main problem is that these cups have become too predictable. We need some rule changes to add the randomness back in to make it more of an event. All Championship clubs should have a realistic expectation that they could make it to the semi-finals.

Look at the way cricket has done all kinds of experiments with its one-day format as an example.

Just off the top of my head here are some random ideas that they could try.

* No penalties. If the game is a draw the lower placed team go through.

* Limit the age of players. Maybe an U27 competition. Or U25 competition.

* Give lower league teams get a one-goal start against higher opposition.

Sure there are loads of other experiments people could come up with. 

If they keep the Pappa Johns not sure what they can do with it to make it more of an interest. Get rid of the U21 teams, Get rid of this penalty shoot out nonsense after a draw, Include national league sides. Make all games free to view on BBC. make all disciplinary offences isolated in the tournament so it doesn't impact league games. Make the money a club can make significant. Play the final at a decent stadium, near the two finalist. Not at Wembley.

I'll be honest I have no interest in the games and see all games pretty much like a reserve match

1 hour ago, WestStandStartTheBounce said:

If they keep the Pappa Johns not sure what they can do with it to make it more of an interest. Get rid of the U21 teams, Get rid of this penalty shoot out nonsense after a draw, Include national league sides. Make all games free to view on BBC. make all disciplinary offences isolated in the tournament so it doesn't impact league games. Make the money a club can make significant. Play the final at a decent stadium, near the two finalist. Not at Wembley.

I'll be honest I have no interest in the games and see all games pretty much like a reserve match

It’s a good chance for some to get some game time but the insistence that you have to have 7 playing who were involved the previous league game is just wrong 

People are talking about the Papa John’s as if it’s a new thing. It’s been around decades. It used to be called the Auto Windscreens Shield back in the day. I remember Birmingham winning it under Barry Fry in the 90s.  It’s always had a Wembley final. Only recent change is the introduction of premier league u23 sides reckon that’s possibly a legacy of the EPPP deal. 

Fact we’ve got restrictions on how many we can leave out serves to keep it competitive which is good. It’s a chance at a Wembley final, it’s a chance for silverware, we shouldn’t feel such a sense of entitlement that means we scoff at this tournament. It’s important to build a winning mentality and get players like Rooney ready for league action. Thoroughly enjoyed the Grimsby game and I’ll be attending more. 

The crux for me is allowing the EPL U21 sides in.  I like the idea of a competition allowing those teams outside the EPL to compete and win, especially those lower down who are scrapping for survival as it is,  but to have a set of rules dictating to EFL sides that they have to include x amount of first team players, or face a fine, but to then allow the likes of Man City to field an U21 side - it's smacks of yet more hypocrisy.   But where football is concerned, whilst it's run by the EFL and the FA, I shouldn't be surprised. 

5 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Fact we’ve got restrictions on how many we can leave out serves to keep it competitive which is good. It’s a chance at a Wembley final, it’s a chance for silverware, we shouldn’t feel such a sense of entitlement that means we scoff at this tournament. It’s important to build a winning mentality and get players like Rooney ready for league action. Thoroughly enjoyed the Grimsby game and I’ll be attending more. 

No sense of entitlement - we still have a relatively small squad; winning this tournament isn't a priority and we don't need injuries/fatigue adding to the challenge. (In fact it could be argued that the sense of entitlement shows more in expecting us to build a winning mentality!)

Completely agree about bringing players through (like Rooney) and also helping players come back from injury and even press their claim to start.

So far we've benefited from it, but I imagine the staff see it how the big clubs view the EFL Cup - let's take it seriously if we find ourselves deep in the tournament, otherwise let's make good use of it but we don't want it causing problems for us.

It's more competitive than putting players into the under 23 team.

It'll generate a few more pound coins and increases morale as we win games.

What is not to like apart from the potential downside of an injury which is possibly just as likely to happen in training?

I bet if you ask players - do you want to have a training session or play a game.... I know what they say.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/09/2022 at 13:23, WestStandStartTheBounce said:

Your mr sun shine aren't you mate