Matchday Thread - Fleetwood Town v Derby County (20/08 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

1 minute ago, PistoldPete said:

Hmm... problem is that the teams we have played so far (home or away) none of them will finish in the top 6. Neither will we if we cannot score goals.  Peterborough don't seem to have that problem so we need to up our game for the next match or else we will lose that one. 

That's my point. We seem to up our game massively when we are at pride park

2 minutes ago, DanS1992 said:

4 points dropped in the last two games. Shrewsbury and Fleetwood were awful, should be beating teams like them if we have any ambition to get out this league. All this nonsense about "it's only 5 games in", or "need time to gel" I don't buy it. The football is neat and tidy from defense up to the middle of the pitch and there seems to be a collective understanding to a certain extent, but as soon as the ball is in the final third, we are toothless. LR has got his work cut out, needs to find a solution ASAP. Very disappointing again, despite the neat football played in the first half. Anyway, onwards and upwards, bring on Peterborough.

Have a look at the Jim Smith season we got promoted or to a lesser extent the Billy Davies one. Have a look at the league table after 3,5,10 games.

Youll find right now we are just fine.

Overall feeling today: incredibly frustrated not to score, feels like a loss to be so dominant and come away with a point. I'd have sighed some relief at a score draw, at least get a monkey off our back that way. I'll be chilled if sort this out next away game, will be pretty concerning if we repeat again. For instance if we continue to chalk up 10-15 corners every away game and get no goals, you start to have to ask questions if it is just luck, or you're not doing enough to force it in.

1 minute ago, Gritstone Ram said:

I’m not sure what the answer is. I think we should carry on creating chances and playing football. I hope we can stay in touch with the top two. I don’t fancy any play offs. I couple of tough home games to come.

I don't fancy playoffs either. But where we are in the league and in relation to other teams is meaningless at this stage in the season. Fulham are sitting in a champions League place. They won't be in May.

3 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I bet there will be a few wrist slashers out tonight. I’m not one of them - that was excellent stuff.

Created, attacking intent, decent opportunities created, decent openings, just not had that luck that we need to score.

I have no doubt it will come very soon.

We will play worse than that and win in fact we already have v Barnsley. ??

2 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

It's bloody frustrating but it's still early. I say this every week but if it's still the same problems two months down the line then yes there is clearly a conversation to be had. 

It's not bad at all. We're 8th, creating chances, still keeping up pace with the rest and now have two home games.

I mean what more can Liam do even two months down the line - if the players aren’t putting the chances away that we are creating no manager can do anything more. I think we do need a goal in the first 20 mins next away game or the frustration in the crowd grows which I think will grow in the players too. Hopefully we get 3 wins out of these 4 home games in the league and cup to really drive some momentum. 

Another first half where we absolutely battered them for possession, second half we  seem to lack ideas or options - The bench today again shows how few attacking options we have.

Sibley needs to start and try going 442 -  disappointed in Hourihane TBH;  poor corners, passes going astray (especially second half). Expected better and I know he's capable of it.

14 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Can you think of a Derby side that created so many chances over an entire season and failed to convert them? I can only think of 04/05 where we hit the woodwork 15 times but even then we finished 4th.

My point is nobody is this wasteful for long. Either we start scoring or the chances dry up altogether, but this, this does not last an entire season.

Are you forgetting last season with Liam as coach..same system.. and we lost 9 away games on the bounce and we hardly scored a goal.Deja Vu?

Edited by Patrick Rams

1 minute ago, Ramos said:

I mean what more can Liam do even two months down the line - if the players aren’t putting the chances away that we are creating no manager can do anything more. I think we do need a goal in the first 20 mins next away game or the frustration in the crowd grows which I think will grow in the players too. Hopefully we get 3 wins out of these 4 home games in the league and cup to really drive some momentum. 

This entirely. For me the manager's job is to find a system that creates more good chances than the opposition, something we've done in every match so far. Can't ask more from Rosenior.

1 minute ago, Papahet said:

Another first half where we absolutely battered them for possession, second half we  seem to lack ideas or options - The bench today again shows how few attacking options we have.

Sibley needs to start and try going 442 -  disappointed in Hourihane TBH;  poor corners, passes going astray (especially second half). Expected better and I know he's capable of it.

Couldn't agree more. Early days I know, but I expected a lot more from him. Has plenty of time though to improve, and I think he will.

5 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

what serious questions need to be asked? Seriously 

Why out of the dozens of chances we have created in the last three away games have none been scored? I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that. You can question our scoring ability without going mental and asking for Rosenior to be sacked or for Collins to be publicly flogged in the middle of the shopping centre.

1 minute ago, css said:

Time for  change you dont get points for your manager being articulate in interviews. 

Are you serious? After 5 games and a new set of players and where we were a few mere weeks back?

What sort of change do you want?