Petition to Derby to remove our relationship to gambling companies

whestonram

Like a flutter but gambling has become so engrained in most sport and as a mum of 2 teenage sons I really really object to that. But there needs to be a change across all sport like with tobacco advertising. As others have said when someone looking to stabilise our club financially dont think they need this added pressure. Clowes uk may prefer us not to be sponsored by a betting firm also but financially may be difficult to turn down at the moment

43 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Fair enough. I like having a flutter and am happy to have gambling companies as sponsor at any time. I've found betting on a game has been a fun thing to do for many years, just as drinking at a game has. Humans are social animals and these things add to the mix and I'd suggest it's a strange attitude to partake in either but then want the names of the companies involved banned from the ground. As noted in the thread, the National Lottery is the biggest form of gambling in in country and I'd be delighted if they want to put Lotto on the Derby shirts. I feel there are too many morality lessons from the middle classes pervading society nowadays, who don't like seeing what us dirty oiks get up to.

You would be amazed how many people tell me it’s terrible that I’m a smoker whilst gulping down gallons of alcohol,,, sadly the world seems full of my poo don’t smell zealots 

Genuinely sorry to hear about the loss of a young life.

I would say though that hundreds of thousands of ordinary people gamble with their money every day but this is seen as acceptable gambling - putting money into Premium Bonds is gambling, investing in the stock market is gambling, buying a lottery ticket is gambling.

But all of those activities don't have the same social stigma as gambling on sports events but gambling is what they all are.

Am sorry but where do you draw the line?

8 hours ago, David said:

It's easy for a club to turn down gambling sponsorships when they are a global brand, huge in Asia, receive large sums of money playing in the Premier League and Champions League.

They received £162m last season from the Premier League alone, up £14m from the season before.

That money could have bought this club three times over in the summer.

Let's not forget, even if we were to ban gambling sponsors on the front of our shirts, they will still have the Skybet patches on the sleeves and all over the league branding around the ground and on the pitch.

Sorry for your loss @whestonram, really don't want to be seen as being insensitive here, just looking at the reality of the situation where it's difficult for clubs to turn their back on the best offers compared to clubs such as Liverpool which was mentioned above.

Ideally football would be in a better state where clubs could choose sponsors that fit the club rather than who pays the most.

Brave to say this David especially when morality has become so hugely fashionable. In essence though, I agree with the OP. There is something subtly wrong in the gaming industry. It needs to be regulated to a much higher standard. It needs to pay its dues. At the moment it’s getting a free ride. There are a number of industries, be they power generation, Gambling or fresh water supplies. They live in a very protected environment because their product is and always will be, in demand but the costs and controls are known. They have an easy life. Theirs is a privileged position in a semi free market.  There is (or should be ) a cost for that .. whether it be an obligation to build a water reservoir or  to have oversight of their advertising and general commercial practices. 

@David’s post was excellent and far more eloquent than I can put.

I think the OP, like any fan shouldn’t be making statements such as “DC is a good guy, I’m sure he will do the right thing” - these types of posts are trying to apply a subtle pressure (albeit on a forum I'm sure makes little difference in isolation) to actually align with the views of the OP and if he doesn’t, makes him sound like a bad guy. I thought we as fans could be better than that?

Would I prefer our sponsor to be a local employer or a health company - sure, of course I would. There are many industries I would like to avoid - Tobacco, Gambling, Junk food for instance. British people are the heaviest in Europe now - it scares me when I’m abroad now and see every other EU nation so much healthier than us. McDonalds does far more damage to our health system than gambling (again my opinion) but if Maccy D’s offer a 500k shirt sponsorship but the Derby Silk Mill only offer 25k, then it’s a no brainer.

I just hope a good brand ideally locally based can offer a sum of money that makes it worthwhile for us to accept it rather than an alternative that doesn’t.

Shirt sponsorship is nothing, sorry if you disagree, but it's a tiny piece of the artillery the gambling company's deploy. 

TV Adverts, particularly the one that uses Sweet Caroline, are far more pervasive.

Multiple others, suggesting a crowd of lads, and it's always lad's, having their day enhanced by a cheeky little acca. 

You can't listen to a commercial radio station without hearing a betting ad every few minutes, or the station running a competition in conjuction with a betting firm.

Dont get me started on Talksport, who interrupt live commentary to give you the latest live odds!

Nevermind those same broadcasters constantly pushing their own text competitions at £2 a pop. 

Bet or don't bet, the choice is yours, but ultimately the exposure to those outlets is massively higher in the broadcast media than through a name on front of a shirt. 

That's where the petitions should be aimed, imo.

1 hour ago, Rev said:

Shirt sponsorship is nothing, sorry if you disagree, but it's a tiny piece of the artillery the gambling company's deploy. 

TV Adverts, particularly the one that uses Sweet Caroline, are far more pervasive.

Multiple others, suggesting a crowd of lads, and it's always lad's, having their day enhanced by a cheeky little acca. 

You can't listen to a commercial radio station without hearing a betting ad every few minutes, or the station running a competition in conjuction with a betting firm.

Dont get me started on Talksport, who interrupt live commentary to give you the latest live odds!

Nevermind those same broadcasters constantly pushing their own text competitions at £2 a pop. 

Bet or don't bet, the choice is yours, but ultimately the exposure to those outlets is massively higher in the broadcast media than through a name on front of a shirt. 

That's where the petitions should be aimed, imo.

Surely the OP would agree with everything you say. But his ambitions are realistic 

12 hours ago, David said:

Children's shirts do not have gambling sponsors on them, even the U21's shirts Derby play in do not have them, it's been like that for years now.

If you want to see children being exploited, look at video games, mobile phone games where they encourage kids to open loot boxes, some of these games do not even have an age rating so kids as old as 6/7 are introduced to them. I would argue this and social media would expose more children to gambling than a sponsor on a football shirt ever would.

As for being a parent, no I'm not, but If I go to any seaside resort across the country these weekend, the amusements will be packed, parents handing kids pots of coins to place in machine hoping it pushes more out. Buying those plastic balls with a toy inside completely unaware of what they may get. Is this not teaching children gambling?

I would think that there are a lot of kids that the children’s shirts are too small for so end up with the adults shirts that have the gambling logos on them (I stated wearing adult shirts when I was around 11 I think). I wore shirts with Pedigree on them. Fortunately this didn’t affect me (I don’t drink alcohol) but I imagine it could of had an affect on others. Just because the logos aren’t on children’s shirts doesn’t mean gambling isn’t being normalised to children.

The last couple of seasons the club did sell adult shirts unsponsored (I bought them) but this was not very well publicised (in my opinion) and were not viewable in the stadium shop (you had to ask for them at the counter) or available online without requesting them. Also last season during the mid-season sale the unsponsored away shirts were full price but the shirts with 32Red were cheaper (I know this for a fact). How is that right?

Edited by Will the Ram

14 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

As with many issues of this nature the situation will only change through regulation and a handful of clubs making a stand is unlikely to have much impact. That doesn't mean they shouldn't make that stand. Just because the money is there and we need it, doesn't mean that we should take it. 

Agreed with much of your post but particularly this bit. That's leadership for you, that's taking a stand. Some will wait for governing bodies or even governments to define that something is within or without the rules or laws, others will make that stand, that's the difference between leaders and followers and I know which boat I like to be in. Gambling is so horribly and obviously addictive, ruins lives yet it's integral to sport and football in particular - let's kick gambling ads out of football.

9 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Surely the OP would agree with everything you say. But his ambitions are realistic 

Indeed. And there are things going on in those areas too. For me, this is something that is doable, and will help, but of course the issue is much bigger than Derby or football. But that shouldn't be a reason for not doing what we can.

16 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Sometimes it works the opposite, I would never drink Labatts on principle.

12 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

I’ve never used Crown Paints either 

Additionally, I have never owned a capital one card, drank Skol or Shippo's, or bullied anyone over the last Pye at an auction!*

*I may have my details a tad muddled, for that last one!  ?

Edited by Mucker1884

14 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Fair enough. I like having a flutter and am happy to have gambling companies as sponsor at any time. I've found betting on a game has been a fun thing to do for many years, just as drinking at a game has. Humans are social animals and these things add to the mix and I'd suggest it's a strange attitude to partake in either but then want the names of the companies involved banned from the ground. As noted in the thread, the National Lottery is the biggest form of gambling in in country and I'd be delighted if they want to put Lotto on the Derby shirts. I feel there are too many morality lessons from the middle classes pervading society nowadays, who don't like seeing what us dirty oiks get up to.

I don't think anyone is telling you what to do. 

The petition is not about what you get up to.

I signed the petition because I don't want our club to lend its support to online gambling companies. Online gambling is designed to be addictive, and the online gambling companies pursue the addicts for every penny they have and then some. It's a long way from the Saturday coupon.

That's not telling anyone they can't have a bet, is it?

6 hours ago, Will the Ram said:

The last couple of seasons the club did sell adult shirts unsponsored (I bought them) but this was not very well publicised (in my opinion) and were not viewable in the stadium shop (you had to ask for them at the counter) or available online without requesting them. Also last season during the mid-season sale the unsponsored away shirts were full price but the shirts with 32Red were cheaper (I know this for a fact). How is that right?

The irony of the unbranded kit being kept out of sight! 

How will we know whether our new sponsors outbid others or were preferred because of who they were? Can/will we be told. What is the sort of difference in monetary terms? 

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Can Derby County FC disassociate themselves from gambling advertising/sponsorship without first pulling out of whichever Skybet division they happen to be in at that time?  ?‍♂️

Yes. Of course. The club makes a statement to the effect that it won’t take direct sponsorship from the sector. 
Would be nice to see a heavyweight company with a big presence in Derby step into the breach when that announcement is made 

18 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Yes. Of course. The club makes a statement to the effect that it won’t take direct sponsorship from the sector. 
Would be nice to see a heavyweight company with a big presence in Derby step into the breach when that announcement is made 

But they get paid "Prize money" by EFL, who get their kitty direct from Skybet.

Technically, you're right of course, as that's not direct sponsorship, but it's hardly 6 degrees of separation!  ?