Lewis Dobbin

Heisenberg

So difficult to assess players based on youth performances. Let’s face it, we were wowed by Bobby Duncan videos.

The fact he was given run-outs by Everton is promising and I trust that he has been well scouted but I think he’s more for the U21s at this stage. We need a bit more in terms of league experience for our back-up/ partner/ replacement for Collins.

11 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

So difficult to assess players based on youth performances. Let’s face it, we were wowed by Bobby Duncan videos.

The fact he was given run-outs by Everton is promising and I trust that he has been well scouted but I think he’s more for the U21s at this stage. We need a bit more in terms of league experience for our back-up/ partner/ replacement for Collins.

Always find loans for the youth side a bit odd , isn't the youth about developing our own players rather than someone else's? Where as we can use loans for winning in the adult side as ultimately that's what it's all about? If you get what I'm saying ?

15 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

He won’t be for the u21s. He’s extremely highly regarded and Everton can play him in their own youth team. The only time we have ever loaned players for the youth team is when their contract is soon to expire and it’s used as almost a trial, this is definitely not that. 

28 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Why would we waste a loan for him to play in our U23s? 

Its pretty obvious that any loan signing we make will be either to play or to cover first team positions. 

2 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Leon Osman, Mason Mount, Harry Wilson, Fikayo Tomori - all examples of young players with limited first team experience who made a real difference 

That’s not really true. Mount had played for Vitesse for a year, Wilson and Tomori had both played for Hull (I think). 

Doesn’t really matter anyway, this is for the first team squad. The suggestion it isn’t is very wrong. 

1 minute ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Leon Osman, Mason Mount, Harry Wilson, Fikayo Tomori - all examples of young players with limited first team experience who made a real difference 

Wilson, Mount and Tomori all had been out in successful loans at the same level it higher (Mount).

Now we’re in League 1, we’re part of the first stage of the loan journey. Hopefully we can pick up the best young talent from Prem academies. Don’t expect many to have had previous loans though. That’s the stage we’re at now. 

6 minutes ago, enachops said:

Wilson, Mount and Tomori all had been out in successful loans at the same level it higher (Mount).

Now we’re in League 1, we’re part of the first stage of the loan journey. Hopefully we can pick up the best young talent from Prem academies. Don’t expect many to have had previous loans though. That’s the stage we’re at now. 

You would also hope the likes of Justin Walker and Wassall would know a lot about some of these players. 

45 minutes ago, enachops said:

Why would we waste a loan for him to play in our U23s? 

Its pretty obvious that any loan signing we make will be either to play or to cover first team positions. 

Yes sorry I merely meant he’s more at U21 standard than first team standard.

My view is that it’s a risk in a small squad to have a player on the bench you’re hoping might score his first truly competitive goal.

Our bench last Saturday was quite weak, and I know Sibley did well but over a long season we will need a real goal scoring threat.  

I hope Dobbin comes and becomes a new hero but it’s an outside chance.

10 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

That would make a lot more sense if that’s the case, we are severely lacking competition out wide, particularly on the left side. Everything seems to say he’s a striker though.

Looked at some of his stats the majority of his appearances have actually come on the left wing. 

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

My view is that it’s a risk in a small squad to have a player on the bench you’re hoping might score his first truly competitive goal.

Our bench last Saturday was quite weak, and I know Sibley did well but over a long season we will need a real goal scoring threat.  

Where are we going to get one of those from though? On a free or loan, for ~£8k a week?  Skimming through the available free agents, and you're looking at people like Connor Wickham, and it's debatable if even he is a "real goal scoring threat".  And if we can't pay loan fees, then we're looking at unproven kids, not first-teamers who are not being used.

Dobbin will come in and be in rotation with Barkhuizen - I'd fully expect him to win out the job. 

He's one of four players Everton fans have realistic expectations to become a first team player for them in their academy. I don't think he's going to come in here to battle it out Agatise for a place on the bench and in the U23 - with all due respect. 

Just now, Ambitious said:

Dobbin will come in and be in rotation with Barkhuizen - I'd fully expect him to win out the job. 

He's one of four players Everton fans have realistic expectations to become a first team player for them in their academy. I don't think he's going to come in here to battle it out Agatise for a place on the bench and in the U23 - with all due respect. 

We also have the option to put Barkhuizen into the no.10 position, supporting Collins

Just now, Ambitious said:

Don’t think it’ll be a case of winning the job. Squad will be needed and lineups picked based on form, injuries and opposition - Rosenior has said as much. 

Just now, Srg said:

Don’t think it’ll be a case of winning the job. Squad will be needed and lineups picked based on form, injuries and opposition - Rosenior has said as much. 

Agreed, but my point was more along the lines if everyone was fit for a big game (play-off final, or whatever) that I'd expect Dobbin to get to the point where he would be first choice in a best 11. You're absolutely right though, we're likely to play more than 50 games this season, with cup competitions and our academy has been thinned out. The players in the first team are going to get a lot of opportunities. 

We could do with 2 wingers coming in, Dobbin + one more, to rotate with NML and Barkhuizen. Injuries are going to come into play, so we really could do with 5-6 players still in various positions.