Lewis Dobbin

Heisenberg

On 18/08/2022 at 23:30, Magicman said:

Dobbin is an U21 level lad who has a lot to learn & prove . Reminds me of the time we took Lingard on loan and he never impressed me. 

Lingard scored 10 and assisted 7 in 30 Championship appearances the season before.

Came to us to replace Ibe and compete with Russell, Ince, Ward and Dawkins. Still average a goal or assist every 187 minutes for us.

Think Lingard was pretty average for us, but we've had plenty of similar players (highly rated youngsters at a top Prem club with previous loan experience) who have done very well: Tomori, Wilson, Ibe, for example. 

I guess Dobbin is more of a risk since he hasn't had a loan before but we are League One - what do we expect? 

Looks lively to me, think he will do very well, but only time will tell. 

• 7 months later...
6 hours ago, Needlesh said:

I'd have him back next year. He's got pace, can beat a player, and if the end product starts to flow he's going to be a top player.

Depends on who we can get in. 

I like him, he seems an honest trier, he's young and learning. Whilst his finishing and final ball need much improvement, he can drive us forward at pace and drags defenders out of position, these are qualities we badly lack in the current squad. 

However if we are able to get better options during the summer then we should go for them, if not, then I'd be open to him having a second spell.

He certainly served us well this season given the situation we found ourselves in with 5 players on the books. I hope this loan has been as beneficial for him as it has for us!

On 03/04/2023 at 14:31, Magicman said:

No way another over rated player who has not improved that much either . He wastes his chances and disappears in most games 

I have to applaud your consistency but I challenge the accuracy of your statement.

”over rated” by who ? Most people on here when discussing Dobbin are well aware of lack of finishing/final product to date. Reviews given to him by talk openly about his strengths and weaknesses. 

“disappears” what ? I don’t know about anyone else but he always looks keen to get on the ball and displays controlled drive when he has it. 

He isn’t over rated, we all know he has pace and for a 19 year old, is strong but he lacks the final cutting edge. This is league one, we are a team that lacks a few teeth by virtue of our finances and the trauma the club has been through. Lewis is a contributing member of the team and one of the few that with the energy and youth that can press home an attack. He does need to finish better. If he was ripping up the league then Everton would be bringing him back. Right now he’s learning and for what it’s worth I think he is improving. He is running in to less traffic now, the pass or shot gets made. I would be happy if the loan runs to next season, then we can see if he does step up a level.

Why do you so easily rubbish players ? You never seem to weigh the pros and cons, the good, the bad and where we are as a club and unit. You seem to be suggesting that because he is a young prem loanee then he should automatically be George Best and if he isn’t then he’s no good. Perspective young man .. Perspective 

7 hours ago, jono said:

I have to applaud your consistency but I challenge the accuracy of your statement.

”over rated” by who ? Most people on here when discussing Dobbin are well aware of lack of finishing/final product to date. Reviews given to him by talk openly about his strengths and weaknesses. 

“disappears” what ? I don’t know about anyone else but he always looks keen to get on the ball and displays controlled drive when he has it. 

He isn’t over rated, we all know he has pace and for a 19 year old, is strong but he lacks the final cutting edge. This is league one, we are a team that lacks a few teeth by virtue of our finances and the trauma the club has been through. Lewis is a contributing member of the team and one of the few that with the energy and youth that can press home an attack. He does need to finish better. If he was ripping up the league then Everton would be bringing him back. Right now he’s learning and for what it’s worth I think he is improving. He is running in to less traffic now, the pass or shot gets made. I would be happy if the loan runs to next season, then we can see if he does step up a level.

Why do you so easily rubbish players ? You never seem to weigh the pros and cons, the good, the bad and where we are as a club and unit. You seem to be suggesting that because he is a young prem loanee then he should automatically be George Best and if he isn’t then he’s no good. Perspective young man .. Perspective 

Don't rate him keeps it simple for the rose tinted wearers ! 

• 1 month later...
On 09/04/2023 at 10:28, jono said:

love his spirit.  Hard to know whether he can become a more complete footballer; or whether his destiny is to streak past lower league defenders again and again, and then get tangled up with the bye line. Similar questions arose irt festy - is he a thrilling one trick pony? Or is he a Rahim Sterling in the making?  The (more) interesting question is : how should you coach players like this so as to give them the best chance of expanding their repertoire.