Lewis Dobbin

Heisenberg

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

290 games. 213 of those on the right, 28 on the left, 40 at CF and 5 as an SS. He's a winger.

I think he’d be better playing central, in our team. From the left I think he looks pretty ineffective. Might see more from the right, but Mendez Laing seems to look really good from that side at the moment. 

Edited by DCFC27

29 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

I think he’d be better playing central, in our team. From the left I think he looks pretty ineffective. Might see more from the right, but Mendez Laing seems to look really good from that side at the moment. 

Very few managers in his career have felt he's better down the middle, so I find it unlikely that his best position is somewhere all of those managers chose not to play him (very often). 

I have no doubt we'd see him there at some point when we're chasing a goal or two, but we'll see him mostly on the wing.

42 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

He looked pretty ineffective on Saturday because the supply was cut off to him. Notably when the midfield got fixed he started to do alright on the left.  

18 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

He looked pretty ineffective on Saturday because the supply was cut off to him. Notably when the midfield got fixed he started to do alright on the left.  

Without watching the game again, I think you're right; Sibley's introduction put us a bit more on the front foot and it was from around that time that Barkhuizen came more into the game.

I'm not convinced about the long diagonals which seem to be part of the new way of playing. A couple of them seemed to come off on Saturday (barely any in pre-season) but, for me, Barkhuizen is only going to prosper from those if he's running into space on the end of one. Anything shorter and it's a waste of a pass - can't see him winning headers against full-backs (or doing anything useful in that situation even if he does)

I think he has been impressive throughout pre season. He was quiet during spells of the game on Saturday but thats where we need options for different wide men at different oppositons and at different moments of time. He will have a big role to play but we also need other options for me outwide (hopefully someone who can play either side).

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Very few managers in his career have felt he's better down the middle, so I find it unlikely that his best position is somewhere all of those managers chose not to play him (very often). 

I have no doubt we'd see him there at some point when we're chasing a goal or two, but we'll see him mostly on the wing.

He looks to me very much like Wiemann in his style of play.  Finally trusted down the middle after derby… 

3 hours ago, DCFC27 said:

Think he needs a bit of time. Worth remembering if he's playing on the same side as Roberts then he's not going to get as much attacking support as NML and that might make him look less effective. But in any case the fact he hasn't set the world alight from the wing yet doesn't mean he isn't a winger (he usually has been throughout his career). Not sure he'd be any better down the middle and feels to me like we have better options than TB at either 9 or 10.

We definitely need another winger and striker though. 

3 hours ago, brady1993 said:

He got no service because almost every time Roberts received the ball he came back inside to Cashin who in turn went to Davies who then continued to go right to Knight or NML. My impression was time and again Barkhuisen was in acres of space down the left but the pass on to him was declined. Really enjoyed Saturday but this really frustrated me. Given the service I believe he’ll be a great asset. 

3 minutes ago, Gisby said:

He got no service because almost every time Roberts received the ball he came back inside to Cashin who in turn went to Davies who then continued to go right to Knight or NML. My impression was time and again Barkhuisen was in acres of space down the left but the pass on to him was declined. Really enjoyed Saturday but this really frustrated me. Given the service I believe he’ll be a great asset. 

Usually because Cashin took 4 to 5 business days to release the ball and make a decision. 

24 minutes ago, Gisby said:

Totally agree. On the few occasions he did get the ball he was a threat and put balls into the right areas.

9 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Totally agree. On the few occasions he did get the ball he was a threat and put balls into the right areas.

Yep exactly …. If I was him in the dressing room post match I’d be asking my team mates what I’d done to upset them ?

22 hours ago, sage said:

Let's have a poll to see if this is a good signing. 

Shall we contact Gallop or just do a quick straw poll?

Looks like you're ploughing a lone furrow with these puns mate..... 

I was trying to join in, but my ideas stalled 

I was thinking of PM ing you with some ideas, but thought you might bridle at my suggestions..... 

?

8 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Looks like you're ploughing a lone furrow with these puns mate..... 

I was trying to join in, but my ideas stalled 

I was thinking of PM ing you with some ideas, but thought you might bridle at my suggestions..... 

?

Don't saddle me with your second hand puns 

Edited by sage