Tommy Smith

DCFC1388

5 minutes ago, nogbad van 50 said:

Hell of a commute to Boro from Stoke (163 miles) so does he move house to go there for better pay and play at a higher level than us ? Or,does he travel to Derby( easier journey-35 miles) on lower money and look at our other signings and think that he’d like to be part of the LR project at a bigger club.Minimal disruption and exciting project or more money at dour Boro.-your call Tommy ?

He was at Huddersfield from 2013 to 2019 before transferring to Stoke so it's possible his actual home is still at Huddersfield - if so, Boro is still 90 miles away,  Derby would be 70 miles

Guess it depends on if he has a family settled somewhere & where they want to live.

Now Boro have sold Djed Spence for up to £20m, they should have some decent salaries to offer to new players

9 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

He was at Huddersfield from 2013 to 2019 before transferring to Stoke so it's possible his actual home is still at Huddersfield - if so, Boro is still 90 miles away,  Derby would be 70 miles

Guess it depends on if he has a family settled somewhere & where they want to live.

Now Boro have sold Djed Spence for up to £20m, they should have some decent salaries to offer to new players

They were over 20 million behind on their tax shock horror.  Lets hope the ambassadors of football don't cheat and get it paid.

giphy.gif

10 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

Fair comment .Just read that Wilder has bids in for three Prem strikers and is waiting to hear the outcome.They got £12.5m for Spence with potential add ons  of £7.5m but I’m sure I read last season that they’d got some serious debt issues to resolve or is that just wishful thinking on my part re the arch villain Gibson?!

3 hours ago, rammieib said:

Would be very happy if this fella came in as first choice RB. Continuity with Chester as well.

Hope we can make it happen.

Surely at this age of your career, you want to play football most weeks. I guess the key will be what we could offer him against what Boro can.

I would normally agree. But when you see Lingard choosing a relegation battle at Forest over Top 6 and European football with West Ham. Nothing would surprise me.

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I would normally agree. But when you see Lingard choosing a relegation battle at Forest over Top 6 and European football with West Ham. Nothing would surprise me.

You omitted the most important factor for the majority of professional footballers. Money.

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

You omitted the most important factor for the majority of professional footballers. Money.

It’s not just professional footballers though is it? The vast majority of people, when considering work (which is what football is to them after all) will choose the place that pays them the most.  

I acknowledge  football is odd insofar as you also have the potential for ‘success’ and winning trophies and all that, which might also be a major motivator. Loyalty might be another factor. But even there, the majority are  only going to shun better wages if they’ve already earned enough not to have to worry (I’m imagining Curtis in this category).   

It bugs fans when players scarper for more money or leave clubs in the lurch (Byrne anybody), but ultimately, I don’t think I blame them too much. They’re never going to see it the same way we do. They aren’t here (generally) for love. 

13 minutes ago, LazloW said:

It’s not just professional footballers though is it? The vast majority of people, when considering work (which is what football is to them after all) will choose the place that pays them the most.  

I acknowledge  football is odd insofar as you also have the potential for ‘success’ and winning trophies and all that, which might also be a major motivator. Loyalty might be another factor. But even there, the majority are  only going to shun better wages if they’ve already earned enough not to have to worry (I’m imagining Curtis in this category).   

It bugs fans when players scarper for more money or leave clubs in the lurch (Byrne anybody), but ultimately, I don’t think I blame them too much. They’re never going to see it the same way we do. They aren’t here (generally) for love. 

Yes but you're talking about football like it's a normal job. People would move jobs who don't have sayings, dont have much money for the sake of earning an extra £200/£300 a month.

We're talking about a bloke who is already a millionaire earning either 150k a week or 180k a week.

Tbf Lingard is everything that's wrong with football. More interested in practicing dance routines for tiktok.

He's also a 30 year old man who refers to himself as JLingz.

Not entirely sure who he thinks he is. He's bang average and done absolutely nothing to warrant being on that much money. Other than the West Ham spell. What's he actually done? He's a myth.

Would be a good signing. Shown himself as competent in the Championship throughout his career, so should be a top quality right back at League One level in my view. Would replace Byrne and not be too much of a downgrade.

I wouldn’t get your hopes up on this one though. He’s never played below the Championship before, and he’s not exactly old, so I’d expect him to remain at that level. If he’s on trial at Middlesbrough, then I suspect it’s simply a formality that he signs for them.

I don't know much about this lad, but it strikes me Bryne would be an ideal wingback in a Chris Wilder system.  

Maybe there's some element of leverage going on here, Boro trialing Smith, but really wanting Nathan to be released to join them, at which point they'd drop interest in Smith? 

Probably just me watching too much Succession atm, and seeing fiendish plots where there are none.