Starting 11 v Oxford

I need to watch the Berlin game, but I do wonder if Rosenior is trying to be coy with the RB position. 

Knight or Smith offers a defensively sound player, with relatively high quality football ability. It allows him to scheme that player into a lot of favourable matchups - albeit when the backs are against the wall then we will be at a disadvantage over a more conventional RB. 

I guess it does make sense given the quality within the squad and the fact we will be very possession heavy this season. 

I think you decide which players have to play and then work backwards with what system best suits them and then which of the players that are left, fit into the ramaing places.

Therefore I'd say that Wildsmith, Davies, Bird, Hourihane, McGoldrick and Collins are certain starters.

With that in mind I'd have to go 4-4-2 with McGoldrick floating off Collins. My team would be

G-Wildsmith

RB-Oduro

CH-Davies, Cashin

LB-Roberts

RM-Mendez Laing

CM-Bird, Hourihane

LM-Barkhuizen

CF-McGoldrick, Collins

Harsh on Knight but there's only 11 places and he is battling in the strongest department.

1 hour ago, Loughborough Ram said:

I think you decide which players have to play and then work backwards with what system best suits them and then which of the players that are left, fit into the ramaing places.

Therefore I'd say that Wildsmith, Davies, Bird, Hourihane, McGoldrick and Collins are certain starters.

With that in mind I'd have to go 4-4-2 with McGoldrick floating off Collins. My team would be

G-Wildsmith

RB-Oduro

CH-Davies, Cashin

LB-Roberts

RM-Mendez Laing

CM-Bird, Hourihane

LM-Barkhuizen

CF-McGoldrick, Collins

Harsh on Knight but there's only 11 places and he is battling in the strongest department.

Think I agree with that X1 ??

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I need to watch the Berlin game, but I do wonder if Rosenior is trying to be coy with the RB position. 

Knight or Smith offers a defensively sound player, with relatively high quality football ability. It allows him to scheme that player into a lot of favourable matchups - albeit when the backs are against the wall then we will be at a disadvantage over a more conventional RB. 

I guess it does make sense given the quality within the squad and the fact we will be very possession heavy this season. 

I actually think there is a decent chance at something like this happening after watch us versus Berlin in the first half.

We've shifted tactically from last season. Last season the full backs would push very high, wingers come narrow and the defensive midfielders would split and stay deep. Something like: 

CB  CB 

DM           DM

RB  RW CAM LW  LB

CF

This season however it looks like we are going to try to us the fullbacks more auxiliary midfielders. It was noticeable that the full back would stay in a line with Bird when we were in position and come slightly narrow. Hourihane would then push right up, playing close to Mcgoldrick and both winger stayed high and on the touch line.  More like 

CB  CB 

RB     DM      LB

DM  CAM

RW        CF        LW

So the demands of a full back here wouldn't be the same in fact you'd probably want someone who is comfortable being in midfield (not necessarily a midfielder). So trialing Knight and possibly Smith would make a lot of sense. 

Although what I will say is I'd be very very wary about playing Fozzy with how we currently look to be setting up.

2 hours ago, Loughborough Ram said:

G-Wildsmith

RB-Oduro

CH-Davies, Cashin

LB-Roberts

RM-Mendez Laing

CM-Bird, Hourihane

LM-Barkhuizen

CF-McGoldrick, Collins

Not saying I disagree but for people demanding £5 million plus for him, how does he not get into the team? 

(I’m not sure he’s in Mike either as it stands)

18 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Not saying I disagree but for people demanding £5 million plus for him, how does he not get into the team? 

(I’m not sure he’s in Mike either as it stands)

I left him our with a heavy heart to be honest.

If he signs a new contract then he probably gets in at right back instead of Onuro, but if not then we have to get the Young lad up to speed in my opinion, because we're going to need him.

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

I actually think there is a decent chance at something like this happening after watch us versus Berlin in the first half.

We've shifted tactically from last season. Last season the full backs would push very high, wingers come narrow and the defensive midfielders would split and stay deep. Something like: 

CB  CB 

DM           DM

RB  RW CAM LW  LB

CF

This season however it looks like we are going to try to us the fullbacks more auxiliary midfielders. It was noticeable that the full back would stay in a line with Bird when we were in position and come slightly narrow. Hourihane would then push right up, playing close to Mcgoldrick and both winger stayed high and on the touch line.  More like 

CB  CB 

RB     DM      LB

DM  CAM

RW        CF        LW

So the demands of a full back here wouldn't be the same in fact you'd probably want someone who is comfortable being in midfield (not necessarily a midfielder). So trialing Knight and possibly Smith would make a lot of sense. 

Although what I will say is I'd be very very wary about playing Fozzy with how we currently look to be setting up.

Maybe a little bit more like this:

CB   CB

RB       DM           

DM    AM    LB

RW       CF     LW   

LB push a bit higher and LW tucked in a little bit. At times you'd have crosses from the right with Collins, McGoldrick, Barkhuizen and Forsyth to aim at.

38 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

CB   CB

RB       DM           

DM    AM    LB

RW       CF     LW   

LB push a bit higher and LW tucked in a little bit. At times you'd have crosses from the right with Collins, McGoldrick, Barkhuizen and Forsyth to aim at.

Maybe yeah? Although I do think Knight Bird and Roberts were virtually in line especially in the first two thirds of the pitch.

I do worry about playing fozzy though if we really expect the left back to be involved in the starting of moves. Roberts, on the other hand looks more than comfortable.

Out of possession is more or less the same shape as last year virtually falling back into a 442.

18 hours ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

He might have to unless we sign a senior right back. Naive comment I'm afraid.

18 hours ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Some very ill-mannered people on this forum these days. Perhapts it's the heat.

Eh. It is ok for you to criticise and call someone naive. But when the say your selection is naive you call them ill-mannered? How very odd

6 hours ago, Big Trav said:

People need to also remember we could potentially play up to 60 games this calendar year.m and that’s not including lads who are internationals. You’ve got the league, the pizza cup, the league cup from round 1, the FA cup from round 2 I think. You’ve got potentially another 14-16 games to factor in here. Cashin will get plenty of games as will thommo, knight, sibley, Stretton etc. We still need a good 5-7 more bodies for a complete squad

Play kids in the pizza cup. Kids like pizza.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

CB   CB

RB       DM           

DM    AM    LB

RW       CF     LW   

I think this is pretty close, I've been at Bradford and Hertha and while we did play slightly differently it was mostly the same.

I think we line up in a 4-2-3-1 without the ball, albeit probably more of a 4-4-2.

The number 10 joins with the strike to press the opposition defence but then drops back once the ball enters the midfield, to prevent us being overrun in the centre.

image.png.25bc7bc5b6a357fe9d0a1deb23be9981.png

When building from the back, we shift quite dramatically to create good passing angles - trying to prevent players standing in vertical or horizontal lines with one another.

I think this starts with the left back pushing high, this triggers the left winger to come centrally and pushing the number 10 slightly wider. 

In turn this pushes the right winger slightly deeper and further wide to find space, theres now no room for the right back to overlap in a similar way to the left back so he comes centrally in an under lap.

To cover the left back and allow for the right backs movement, the the midfield two shift left slightly with the one of the two operating in a similar role to the right back.

This creates an almost diamond shape:

image.png.5715b71e98e7e4c2792581fe98204ece.png

The above is more accurate to what I saw at Bradford than what I saw against Hertha so I'm unsure which is more true to how we will play come first game, but it is my interpretation of it so far.