Starting 11 v Oxford

Its too early to predict the starting 11 for the Oxford match, there's more incoming players before the kick off on the 30th. That's nearly a fotnight for players to sign and train with the squad prior to Liam picking his starting 11. Lets hope the coach's have watched video's of this season's opponents, because that could be a deciding factor to our set up/formation and starting 11. It's easy to guess that Wildsmith, Davies, Hourihane, Barkhuizan and Bird will probably start providing they are fit. That leaves 6 other slots up for grabs and with the new rule that allows you to make 5 subs in a match, it gives Liam chance to use 16 players in a match.

2 hours ago, Shuff264 said:

I think this is pretty close, I've been at Bradford and Hertha and while we did play slightly differently it was mostly the same.

I think we line up in a 4-2-3-1 without the ball, albeit probably more of a 4-4-2.

The number 10 joins with the strike to press the opposition defence but then drops back once the ball enters the midfield, to prevent us being overrun in the centre.

image.png.25bc7bc5b6a357fe9d0a1deb23be9981.png

When building from the back, we shift quite dramatically to create good passing angles - trying to prevent players standing in vertical or horizontal lines with one another.

I think this starts with the left back pushing high, this triggers the left winger to come centrally and pushing the number 10 slightly wider. 

In turn this pushes the right winger slightly deeper and further wide to find space, theres now no room for the right back to overlap in a similar way to the left back so he comes centrally in an under lap.

To cover the left back and allow for the right backs movement, the the midfield two shift left slightly with the one of the two operating in a similar role to the right back.

This creates an almost diamond shape:

image.png.5715b71e98e7e4c2792581fe98204ece.png

The above is more accurate to what I saw at Bradford than what I saw against Hertha so I'm unsure which is more true to how we will play come first game, but it is my interpretation of it so far.

That's pretty similar to how we played last season. 

14 hours ago, Jram said:

I expect he was on quite a decent whack- he’s signed at least three contracts since he joined the club, two of which were under the mental Mel years when we were paying outrageous wages

Perhaps it’s hard to get him to come down to an affordable wage under the restrictions. 

Maybe that’s it but he’ll know what others have signed up to - and he’s no spring chicken you’d think he’d be realistic. Wondered whether we need to sell someone before we can sign him within the business plan.  

On 16/07/2022 at 22:25, TheHomunculusLives said:

I hope you're right about Oduroh, but I get the sense Rosenior will be going for experience over youth this season. I don't see Cashin or Thompson starting either.

Can’t be sure about Tommo but Cashin will get plenty of starts. It may be a rotation with Chester but he’ll be there and regularly. No doubts at all. 

6 hours ago, jono said:

Can’t be sure about Tommo but Cashin will get plenty of starts. It may be a rotation with Chester but he’ll be there and regularly. No doubts at all. 

I think Tommo is probably earmarked as one of 4 players for the 2 DM spots (i dont think Bielik is particularly in the planning). And as such given how many games we will need to play this season I suspect he will start a decent amount.

12 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I think Tommo is probably earmarked as one of 4 players for the 2 DM spots (i dont think Bielik is particularly in the planning). And as such given how many games we will need to play this season I suspect he will start a decent amount.

I hope he does. He’s got something about him. Good with his feet, retains possession, gets stuck in despite his stature. I haven’t really registered his long passing ability though ? He always plays it clean and sharp. 

The delightful thing is going to be watching how we shape up and how players fight to make a position their own. I feel that after the last 2 seasons along with all the new boys, we have a completely new team feel. No hangover from Mac and Nigel, the changes have been well and truly rung

35 minutes ago, DerbyRevolution said:

With the captaincy surely Davies is a starter now. 

So who partners him from Chester, Cashin and Stearman? 

Chester. And that allows Curtis to be on the correct side. ?

Edited by RoyMac5

I think even the opening day team is pretty much set.

Wildsmith seems a given to start in goal as we seem no closer to a 'rival'

A new right back, Davies, either Cashin or Chester (Cashin being left footed should steal it) and Roberts.

Bird and Hourihane are definites for midfield.

NML is a cert for right wing, if Knight is still here he'll be accommodated. Most likely McGoldrick will take the 3rd spot based on performances with Collins up top.

Subs: Loach, Chester, Stearman, Forsyth, Smith, Barks, Sibley

3 academy graduates in the team and one on the bench.

Highlights we need to be looking for an alternate to Collins, otherwise it's kids and midfielders covering his spot.

37 minutes ago, Rample said:

I think even the opening day team is pretty much set.

Wildsmith seems a given to start in goal as we seem no closer to a 'rival'

A new right back, Davies, either Cashin or Chester (Cashin being left footed should steal it) and Roberts.

Bird and Hourihane are definites for midfield.

NML is a cert for right wing, if Knight is still here he'll be accommodated. Most likely McGoldrick will take the 3rd spot based on performances with Collins up top.

Subs: Loach, Chester, Stearman, Forsyth, Smith, Barks, Sibley

3 academy graduates in the team and one on the bench.

Highlights we need to be looking for an alternate to Collins, otherwise it's kids and midfielders covering his spot.

Forsyth would need to be under contract wouldn’t he?

18 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Forsyth would need to be under contract wouldn’t he?

He would need to be registered. I presume he could actually play on a non-contract basis.

I was assuming though for the sake of the post he will sign before then.

I think todays starting 11 is quite possibly how we will lineup next sat if we dont sign a right back in time. Maybe swapping Smith & Knight over, dropping Hourihane into CDM & Knighy into CAM

I dont think McGoldrick will start as he hasnt had much of a preseason.

7 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I think todays starting 11 is quite possibly how we will lineup next sat if we dont sign a right back in time. Maybe swapping Smith & Knight over, dropping Hourihane into CDM & Knighy into CAM

I dont think McGoldrick will start as he hasnt had much of a preseason.

I disagree about McGoldrick. He has been one of the more impressive players when he has played, so even if he tires and needs to be subbed after an hour I think he will start.