New manager, who do you want?

RoyMac5

10 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Don’t envy Clowes on this subject. We need a decision and fast.

Rosenior is the obvious choice but is a massive gamble as to whether he’ll be a good manager or bad. If we look to bring anybody else in that won’t happen before another 10 days or so and by then we’ll be needing players asap. 

Think we either place all our chips on LR and get the ball rolling. Or we accept we’re gonna have a poor start, get battered most weeks. But whoever we go for can assemble a team before deadline day and go from there.

Agree with the missing envy but in some respects there isn't a decision to make, we have no management structure, he's completely wet behind the ears regarding running a football club, he just has to stick with Liam!

I know this is from 2020, but you don’t need a subscription to read, and is a really enjoyable insight into Rosenior’s working methods and ethics. This has probably been overlooked with 99% of the focus on Wayne Rooney over the last 18 months.

https://theathletic.com/2208294/2020/11/19/liam-rosenior-derby-rooney/?amp=1

Edited by Kernow

Rosenior talks a really good game. I will be fascinated to see what's different with him in charge, as opposed to Rooney.

I have seen a lot of people suggest that he was the brains behind the previous coaching ensemble. I am not sure what this is actually based on, other than perhaps how well he comes across in interviews and maybe an inherent assumption in football that the No.2 is somehow the brains rather than the brass.

He is certainly the easiest appointment. Is it the safest, though? First job? League One? Whole new squad? Could be a very tricky one indeed. I think we arguably need a more experienced pair of hands for this league, but appreciate that we're not in a position to be picky.

I also would of thought that a new owner would like his own man in charge. Be interested to see how long LR gets if things don't start well.

Blackpool obviously liked the idea of appointing LR, and then suddenly didn't after interviewing him. I wonder why.

Good luck, Liam. You are going to need it. 

Edited by Nuwtfly

Rosenior for me.

Of the others mentioned, Dyche is a yes but doubt he'd come for what we can pay or drop this low

Dinosaurs like Warnock and Hughton, please god no.... They might bring part success but if we are going to start from scratch, let's build something worth building and looking at.

Hughton is so backwards in his thinking, Cooper took that same Forest team and look what he did, after Hughton had them bottom of the league. I don't know any of his previous teams fans that speak highly of him

51 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I know this is from 2020, but you don’t need a subscription to read, and is a really enjoyable insight into Rosenior’s working methods and ethics. This has probably been overlooked with 99% of the focus on Wayne Rooney over the last 18 months.

https://theathletic.com/2208294/2020/11/19/liam-rosenior-derby-rooney/?amp=1

The great managers have an X factor.  I'm not sure you can learn that.

I find Rosenior incredibly boring and irritating in his interviews.  The way he talks about training to be a manager is like some caricature that I can't quite place, David Brent maybe?

Talks a good game, but has not shown that he can implement it.

Fans are awful at picking managers, and for that reason Clowes would be wise to avoid Rosenior.

2 minutes ago, DerbysLane said:

I find Rosenior incredibly boring and irritating in his interviews.  The way he talks about training to be a manager is like some caricature that I can't quite place, David Brent maybe?

Fans are awful at picking managers, and for that reason Clowes would be wise to avoid Rosenior.

irony GIF

4 minutes ago, DerbysLane said:

He hasn't been able to show it yet as he didn't have any say in the team set up , rooney did. I think he comes across better than Rooney in interviews and looks far more passionate when we score an important goal , I have faith in him 

Edited by dcfcreece1601

5 minutes ago, DerbysLane said:

For the most part fans are awful at rubbishing managers and,players.

For pity sake the guy hasn't even picked his first team yet!

If you think we need to be looking to appoint a potentially 'great' manager then you are suffering from delusion. We need someone who can steady our Club through the next couple of seasons - that might be Rosenior, might not be time will tell.

Edited by Wolfie20

9 minutes ago, DerbysLane said:

You are right he should canvas the fans opinion and go with the least popular. Step forward Mr Warnock.

It would be unwise to go with Rosenior it our current circumstances.

We need a complete overhaul which cannot be done by a Rookie. New players to find, an ethos to compete at this level to be found and a leader to put it all into practice. It’s just too much to take on. Rooney couldn’t do it as a Rookie and the task ahead regarding the team is far harder now.

An experienced operator needed. 

Too bad for Liam he may think he’s earned a shot but DC would be mad to give him the job.

52 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Blackpool obviously liked the idea of appointing LR, and then suddenly didn't after interviewing him. I wonder why.

As I understand it they liked the idea of appointing him after they interviewed him, which is why he was set to be named their new manager. Rosenior allegedly went back to them seeking assurances and asking for certain demands to be met, Blackpool couldn’t or wouldn’t do so, so they moved onto another candidate. 

We obviously have to move fairly quickly to pull together a squad and team that can be ready for the first game. 

Rosenior was always going to get it with the status of the takeover. I’m ok with him getting it. My preference would have been an lower league manager who stock was on the rise type, but we don’t have the budget.

My only concern with Rosenior is the possibility that he’s wedded to last seasons style of play. Which we don’t have the players to continue and it won’t really suit our new surroundings.

That said it’s time to get behind him and hope he does well!

Many rookie managers cut their teeth in the lower leagues, often having to build a team with limited resources.

To suggest that only experienced managers can succeed at this level or under these circumstances is a fallacy.

Ability is more important than experience; there are plenty of experienced managers with limited abilities who struggle at big budget clubs.

A rookie manager with the required abilities can succeed, if they are given the chance.

Will Liam Rosenior be a success? Who knows if he's not given the chance.

He's got a head start by knowing our set-up here, the abilities of what players we have and he must have a good idea of what we need to fill the gaps.

I say give the man a chance.

15 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

no accusation made at all. I was suggesting unconscious racial bias, and I am not the first person to suggest it in the appointment of Rooney over Rosenior after there was a team of 4 put in charge when Cocu left. In fact, it hadn't entered my mind until the Black Lives Matter discussions in the Media turned to it and started discussing it as another example of lack of trust in Black Managers.

I thought Rooney was appointed under Rooney Rules. It’s so bloody confusing this racism stuff.

15 minutes ago, 24Charlie said:

It would be unwise to go with Rosenior it our current circumstances.

We need a complete overhaul which cannot be done by a Rookie. New players to find, an ethos to compete at this level to be found and a leader to put it all into practice. It’s just too much to take on. Rooney couldn’t do it as a Rookie and the task ahead regarding the team is far harder now.

An experienced operator needed. 

Too bad for Liam he may think he’s earned a shot but DC would be mad to give him the job.

I think his most important job is to appoint an experienced number 2. I thought Rooney's biggest mistake was he never appointed one.

29 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

As I understand it they liked the idea of appointing him after they interviewed him, which is why he was set to be named their new manager. Rosenior allegedly went back to them seeking assurances and asking for certain demands to be met, Blackpool couldn’t or wouldn’t do so, so they moved onto another candidate. 

This is what I've read too.

And let's face it, if he was deemed good enough to progress Blackpool, there's a good chance he could do the same for us. I'd imagine it's harder for a rookie manager to take an existing, underperforming squad and turn them round, than it is to assemble a group from scratch to play into a preferred playing style. Liam has the rare opportunity to practically sign an entire team, and he can select players based on how he wants to play- for a new manager, that's an ideal scenario.

Tactically he should be sound, being the youngest coach to obtain the UEFA Pro badge. He's had 3 years of man management experience now also, and knows the club very well. Given we're likely working on a limited budget, there's enough there to say he's worth a shot imo.

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

Rosenior talks a really good game. I will be fascinated to see what's different with him in charge, as opposed to Rooney.

I have seen a lot of people suggest that he was the brains behind the previous coaching ensemble. I am not sure what this is actually based on, other than perhaps how well he comes across in interviews and maybe an inherent assumption in football that the No.2 is somehow the brains rather than the brass.

He is certainly the easiest appointment. Is it the safest, though? First job? League One? Whole new squad? Could be a very tricky one indeed. I think we arguably need a more experienced pair of hands for this league, but appreciate that we're not in a position to be picky.

I also would of thought that a new owner would like his own man in charge. Be interested to see how long LR gets if things don't start well.

Good luck, Liam. You are going to need it. 

Have you seen any of the We Are Derby docuseries on RamsTV? I think there's where a lot of people, including myself, have got this idea about Rosenior being the brains behind Rooney. He seemed to be the one on the training ground taking charge of the sessions and seemed to be the lead when they discussed tactics.