Curtis Davies - signed 1-year deal

YouRams

41 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

I seem to remember him signing last Summer and basically saying it's only cause it's Derby County that he would play for the £4.5k a week salary

I can too. I presume he wants more than this now?

45 minutes ago, Ram1988 said:

I can too. I presume he wants more than this now?

He deserves more, last season should be accrued into his new wage. 

He played every single game last season and was by all accounts excellent - arguably one of the best performers in the Championship in his position. He's getting older, sure, but he's had his best season in 4/5 years. 

No idea what business plan we're working towards, but Davies outperformed Chester considerably last season. We also know what a character he is too, which is huge considering we're in a rebuild. He is a character setting player who ensures that others are following. 

He would be an absolute huge loss going into next season. We need competition for him, of course, but it's imperative for me we keep him. 

51 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I just read on twitter appentley that derby agreed 2 years of new contract.

Is it a reliable source B4?

18 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

He deserves more, last season should be accrued into his new wage. 

He played every single game last season and was by all accounts excellent - arguably one of the best performers in the Championship in his position. He's getting older, sure, but he's had his best season in 4/5 years. 

No idea what business plan we're working towards, but Davies outperformed Chester considerably last season. We also know what a character he is too, which is huge considering we're in a rebuild. He is a character setting player who ensures that others are following. 

He would be an absolute huge loss going into next season. We need competition for him, of course, but it's imperative for me we keep him. 

I agree, we need to do all we can to keep him. I just hope that he isn't asking for a silly wage which will break any form of wage structure are trying to put in place.

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

You shouldn’t be paying top wages to a 37-year-old.

Yet we expect “loyalty” from players ?

No you shouldn’t but “top” wages are now a different thing. We must be talking about the difference between 3k a week and 4K a week. Not 10k and 20k - those days are gone

Being ever present at 38 in the modern game is remarkable in itself, doing it at 38 is staggering. Doing the right thing by Curtis is a moral imperative and simply gentlemanly conduct in my book. Within the limits of what the EFL allow us to do and what Curtis wants we should do everything possible. In the same breath I’d also expect Curtis to be making rational requests which I am sure he is, considering how he has conducted himself as a Derby player. 

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Really?

Shouldn't you? Tell that to Ronaldo. 

Curtis played every minute of every game last season and was immense. 

His age means nothing. Would you rather we payed top wages to a 18 year old who's never played a game just because he's 18?

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think there’s always a danger that you agree terms with a 37 year old who then breaks down with injury and your money seems wasted. TBH I expected that to happen last year but he amazed me with his fitness levels and desire.

He is a leader and leaders get good money whether they’re young or old.

His enthusiasm rubs off on others and Eirin Cashin and others will learn so much from playing alongside him.

I hope he signs soon.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

I think there’s always a danger that you agree terms with a 37 year old who then breaks down with injury and your money seems wasted. TBH I expected that to happen last year but he amazed me with his fitness levels and desire.

He is a leader and leaders get good money whether they’re young or old.

His enthusiasm rubs off on others and Eirin Cashin and others will learn so much from playing alongside him.

I hope he signs soon.

Players are covered with insurance for the club if they suffer long term injuries I think ?

Edited by WystonRam

I was genuinely thinking yesterday that with Roberts being added to the list of potential targets we were starting to look elsewhere or keeping Davies hanging to see if we could do better.

Early test of Clowes and Rosey here, if Davies is let go there will be uproar.

From interviews he sounds like he wants a playing contract this year but would be open to moving into coaching after. Give him a 2 year deal with the second as player/coach (he'd still be okay as emergency back up) and test him out.

Alternately move him over to Rams TV in 2023, he would do really well there.

I’m a fan of Davies 

However I am of the understanding that the EFL will have set conditions and cap’s (the same as  all league 1 Clubs) as part of the agreement when we came out of administration! 

Our new owners need to prove our club culture has changed and we follow the conditions / business plan agreed a few days ago 

There is no sentiment in business! 

Edited by swadieram
Typo

2 hours ago, w8sey said:

Really?

Shouldn't you? Tell that to Ronaldo. 

Curtis played every minute of every game last season and was immense. 

His age means nothing. Would you rather we payed top wages to a 18 year old who's never played a game just because he's 18?

You really can't, or shouldn't, compare a defender who's been around the block a few times and has a history of serious injuries to one of the top athletes of a generation who's kept himself in prime physical condition and never had an injury keep him out for more than 3 months. 

His age alone means nothing, sure, but there's a far wider context to consider. 

Edited by Coconut's Beard

1 minute ago, swadieram said:

I’m a fan of Davies 

However I am of the understanding that the EFL will have set conditions and cap’s (the same as  all league 1 Clubs) as part of the agreement when we came out of administration! 

Our new owners need to prove our club culture has changed and we follow the conditions / business plan agreed a few days ago 

Not many businesses are loved like football clubs are!

As has been said if you demand loyalty from the players you must return it. I can't think that Curtis is making outrageous demands, so I hope compromise is reached soonest.

4 minutes ago, swadieram said:

I’m a fan of Davies 

I don’t think anyone is suggesting we breach any salary caps or agreed business plans to keep Curtis. That would be insane and I’d hope he isn’t expecting us to. It must be either a question of do we offer Curtis more but take a hit on what we can offer others in order to stay within the limits or, do we offer him a longer term contract/a guarantee of something at the end?

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I don’t think anyone is suggesting we breach any salary caps or agreed business plans to keep Curtis. That would be insane and I’d hope he isn’t expecting us to. It must be either a question of do we offer Curtis more but take a hit on what we can offer others in order to stay within the limits or, do we offer him a longer term contract/a guarantee of something at the end?

I don't think we should offer a 37 year old more than a 1 year contract.last season was remarkable, especially for Curtis but I can't see the sense of offering more than 12 months especially as he has stated his preference for punditry when he hangs up his boots. 

Edited by The Scarlet Pimpernel

There are so many decent players available on a free I'd only sign him on a basic low wage with bonus for playing - I imagine that's the offer. Let's face it, at that age he's always a few seconds away from a career-ending injury.

However, would definitely like him to stay if we can get the terms right. I suspect our new regime will be ultra-cautious. We're a BIG draw for a lot of players apart from anything else, if I was a player in my twilight years (and having earned good money previously) I'd rather play for Derby than Rotherham even if we pay less money. For a player like Hourihane, it's less 'embarrassing' to step down to Derby in League 1 than, say, Blackpool in the Championship (with all due respect).

Just now, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I don't think we should offer a 37 year old more than a 1 year contract.last season was re. Arable, especially for Curtis but I can't see the sense of offering more than 12 months especially as he has stated his preference for punditry when he hangs up his boots. 

Me neither. I’m just speculating as to the possible delay in signing him up.