Finance thread 2022.

Rev

On 20/04/2022 at 18:09, Boycie said:

Turn your boiler thermostat down about 10 degrees room stat a couple of deg, same with the tank or hot water stat 50 deg is more than enough for domestic situations.

If you have to put cold water in your bath before you get in your throwing money down the drain.

This is an argument I have had on several occasions with my father in law, who always complains that our hot tap water is too hot.

Stuff I've seen says the tank should be at least 60C to kill off bugs - specifically legionella

Edited by Wolfie

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

This is an argument I have had on several occasions with my father in law, who always complains that our hot tap water is too hot.

Stuff I've seen says the tank should be at least 60C to kill off bugs - specifically legionella

50 is adequate to kill 90% of the little buggers. 60deg will kill them faster but still only 90% 70deg will kill them all, but kill your savings too ! ?

We can live with 10% can’t we? 

https://legionellacontrol.com/guidance/temperature-influences-legionella-growth/amp/

On 27/04/2022 at 11:30, Van der MoodHoover said:

BBC said this morning that leaving stuff on standby or not unplugging phone chargers could be wasting 150 quid a year. Turn off at the wall..... 

Fixing my back will cost more than £150 bending down 50 times a day! 

• 1 month later...

Without making it political does anyone want to point out any major price rises or reductions to help us. 
My main one is Petrol Diesel up from around £1.40 to £1.80 which is around 30% increase. I haven’t worked out the gas and electricity because it makes me feel sick.

One bit of good news is I’ve managed to get an extra 6 miles / gallon which has softened the blow. I wonder if that cheap Russian diesel wasn’t that economical.

8 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Without making it political does anyone want to point out any major price rises or reductions to help us. 
My main one is Petrol Diesel up from around £1.40 to £1.80 which is around 30% increase. I haven’t worked out the gas and electricity because it makes me feel sick.

One bit of good news is I’ve managed to get an extra 6 miles / gallon which has softened the blow. I wonder if that cheap Russian diesel wasn’t that economical.

Much to the amazement of my wife, I rarely take any notice of the price of petrol and couldn’t tell you how much it costs. This is because it’s not as if I have much choice as to whether to buy it or not and, perhaps foolishly, I don’t bother to shop around. I always go to ASDA because a) it’s the nearest, b) it’s all pay at the pump and so there is therefore rarely a queue (unlike Sainsbury’s across the road from ASDA) and c) I’m fairly confident ASDA will be about the cheapest. On the odd occasions I have checked in the past, Morrison’s is very slightly cheaper but not worth the extra journey to fill up (unless I happen to be passing by). I will be a little more conscious of the prices when I drive down to the Dordogne in two weeks.

We’re a bit traditional and my wife does nearly all the shopping so I don’t know how much the weekly shop has gone up. Gas/electric has gone up though from £139pm to £220.?

Oh, and nothing at Poundland is a pound anymore ?

There's a smug git I have to work with who keeps going on about the fact that he remembers when inflation was about 12% 30 years ago and people survived that so what's the big deal about the price increases now?

Very glib remark which I constantly tell him.

Anyhow back on topic a lot of the food manufacturers are probably expanding on their keep the price point but reduce the amount you get strategy that they've been plying for years.  

To balance that out I saw a tube of Pringles in Asda I think it was for £3 a couple of weeks ago which was totally shocking.

I have never been to a cricket match and have no intention of attending now,but saw this week a price for a family of 4 going to watch the test match,500 pounds,not to sure if that was per day or to watch for the week.

Who can afford that when they could watch it on the box

Nice to see the OPs opening few words being utterly ignored ?

I mentioned in another thread re. similar cost saving suggestions to switch your dishwasher/washing machine/etc to come on overnight.  Depending on your energy tariffs you're probably paying a lot less between midnight and 7am. 

We swapped ours to work overnight a few months ago and reckon we're saving £15/month - or the best part of £200/year.  Thats getting on for half a season ticket!