Finance thread 2022.

Rev

34 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

It is easy as it happens most days. I agree we shouldn’t depend on fossil fuels, however saying it wouldn’t help with the current cost crisis is one of the most stupid comments I think I’ve read on this forum. You think importing energy is cheaper than using our own reserves ? Wow 

The cost to reopen our coal mines would be vast, Billions upon billions upon billions of £s, Mines are flooded, Filled in, Crumbling down, Above ground, Mines have been turned into museums, Play areas, Walks for the locals, The equipment being used for other projects, The rail network from the mines have closed down, So should we use the road network to transport millions of tons of coal? and clog up more of our crumbling road network, Where would the workforce come from, How many would volunteer to "work down t pit", All those miners from years gone by are dead, Dying or retired and playing Dominoes in their local Miners Welfare...if it's still open, There are still 1 or 2 being mined I believe on special licence, Thatcher got what she wanted at the expense of the working classes 

Extracting the coal is now in the mind as our pockets are being emptied by the minute ? 

30 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

The cost to reopen our coal mines would be vast, Billions upon billions upon billions of £s, Mines are flooded, Filled in, Crumbling down, Above ground, Mines have been turned into museums, Play areas, Walks for the locals, The equipment being used for other projects, The rail network from the mines have closed down, So should we use the road network to transport millions of tons of coal? and clog up more of our crumbling road network, Where would the workforce come from, How many would volunteer to "work down t pit", All those miners from years gone by are dead, Dying or retired and playing Dominoes in their local Miners Welfare...if it's still open, There are still 1 or 2 being mined I believe on special licence, Thatcher got what she wanted at the expense of the working classes 

Extracting the coal is now in the mind as our pockets are being emptied by the minute ? 

Fracking for shale gas is not expensive and pretty much ready to go. To be honest I give up it’s a fruitless debate, we’re hamstrung with the green agenda and no sensible argument can shift that . Unfortunately it’ll kill businesses and households over the next few months, get ready to pay ladies and gents. 

Edited by TexasRam

5 hours ago, TexasRam said:

I agree on the clean energy however wind provided 2% of the UK energy yesterday solar 21%, over 60% was powered by gas (which is the most costly to the people). So yes clean energy is great, but we don’t have the infrastructure  for it to be meaningful yet and won’t have for quite some time. I hope people can afford the morals of going green while the countries who really matter to improving the environment continue use more traditional fuels to power their economy. 

Going by your user name, you'd be acutley aware even with all the gas available to them from fracking, the of people Texas were freezing to death last winter. So the problem isn't necessarily the lack of available energy but the greed of the energy companies and the incompetence and corruption of politicians

40 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Going by your user name, you'd be acutley aware even with all the gas available to them from fracking, the of people Texas were freezing to death last winter. So the problem isn't necessarily the lack of available energy but the greed of the energy companies and the incompetence and corruption of politicians

Interesting...

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/27/22456856/deaths-undercount-texas-freeze-power-outage

https://eu.statesman.com/story/news/2022/01/04/246-texans-died-february-freeze-and-power-loss-officials-say/9080688002/

40 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Maybe if you actually knew anything the infrastructure in South Texas isn’t exactly setting up for the abnormal low temperatures they saw. A bit like when it’s 40 deg here and we can’t cope. Sometimes when you’re trying to be clever it’s better knowing what you’re on about. 

30 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Maybe if you actually knew anything the infrastructure in South Texas isn’t exactly setting up for the abnormal low temperatures they saw. A bit like when it’s 40 deg here and we can’t cope. Sometimes when you’re trying to be clever it’s better knowing what you’re on about. 

Yes I've read about the failing and antiquated infrastructure in Texas. A system that as been allowed to stagnate because the energy companies were more concerned about profits than the well-being of it's customers while corrupt politicians turned a blind eye.

Now where I'm I hearing similar stories at the moment?

Edited by 1of4

Just now, 1of4 said:

Yes I've read about the fai!ing and antiquated infrastructure in Texas. A system that as been allowed to stagnate because the energy companies were more concerned about profits than the well-being of it's customers while corrupt politicians turned a blind eye.

Now where I'm I hearing similar stories at the moment?

Not where I lived it wasn’t, depend where you read it I guess but sounds a million miles from reality. The economy from energy was booming to the point if you are a mechanical/electrical/chemical engineer or production operative you could write your own cheques and leave one job and walk straight into another. 

5 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Not where I lived it wasn’t, depend where you read it I guess but sounds a million miles from reality. The economy from energy was booming to the point if you are a mechanical/electrical/chemical engineer or production operative you could write your own cheques and leave one job and walk straight into another. 

From what I read switch gear which should have pulled in when demand was high, failed to do so due to lack of maintenance.  Good to see all those well paid engineers were doing a good job.

3 hours ago, TexasRam said:

saying it wouldn’t help with the current cost crisis is one of the most stupid comments I think I’ve read on this forum.

OK then, if Truss pressed the button on fracking as soon as she's elected leader, how quickly would it come on stream, how much of UK power generation requirements would it meet and how much would it knock off the average fuel bill this winter?

You've worked it all out so I don't expect to kept waiting long for the answer.

26 minutes ago, Crewton said:

OK then, if Truss pressed the button on fracking as soon as she's elected leader, how quickly would it come on stream, how much of UK power generation requirements would it meet and how much would it knock off the average fuel bill this winter?

You've worked it all out so I don't expect to kept waiting long for the answer.

Not sure, what’s your solution anyway all I see is you snipe at other not come up with anything.

37 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

From what I read switch gear which should have pulled in when demand was high, failed to do so due to lack of maintenance.  Good to see all those well paid engineers were doing a good job.

Again their infrastructure including components is not designed for the temperatures we say, why would it be the average winter low in ST is ~12 deg. Just like we don’t design our infrastructure for 40 deg summer days. So I guess you can blame maintenance all you want if the kits not designed for those conditions there isn’t much you can do. But you know best so you’re probably right 

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

Not sure, what’s your solution anyway all I see is you snipe at other not come up with anything.

LOL, I've just suggested not fracking, continuing to develop clean and renewable energy and to expand nuclear. Fracking would provide a titfull of nothing to UK energy generation, but your lobby treat it like the holy grail. 

7 minutes ago, Crewton said:

LOL, I've just suggested not fracking, continuing to develop clean and renewable energy and to expand nuclear. Fracking would provide a titfull of nothing to UK energy generation, but your lobby treat it like the holy grail. 

My lobby ??? I’m intrigued.
As I said your solution is the right way to go for the future but do’s nothing the current issues absolutely sweet FA. 

2 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

My lobby ??? I’m intrigued.
As I said your solution is the right way to go for the future but do’s nothing the current issues absolutely sweet FA. 

OK, lobby was a dig, but you do seem to be pretty evangelical about something you can't influence? And pretty rude about it with those who are against it. 

23 minutes ago, Crewton said:

OK, lobby was a dig, but you do seem to be pretty evangelical about something you can't influence? And pretty rude about it with those who are against it. 

I guess it’s because I think it’s the right thing currently to do, but we’re brainwashed not to go down that route and anyone who say otherwise is a moron . As for being rude I don’t mean to be, but #irony and eye rolling emojis also come across rude to me also so maybe it’s tit for tat.

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Again their infrastructure including components is not designed for the temperatures we say, why would it be the average winter low in ST is ~12 deg. Just like we don’t design our infrastructure for 40 deg summer days. So I guess you can blame maintenance all you want if the kits not designed for those conditions there isn’t much you can do. But you know best so you’re probably right 

Even if it was just the freak whether conditions that caused the mayhem in Texas as you claim. I'm unsure why the energy companies needed to raised their prices many fold during this period of serere low temperatures, other than to take as much money as they could from the unfortunate Texans that were struggling to keep warm.

While politicians stood back and did nothing, hell one senior politicians even went on holiday during this time of crisis. I'm starting to get a feeling of deja vu.

3 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

we’re brainwashed not to go down that route and anyone who say otherwise is a moron . As for being rude I don’t mean to be,

You aren't very self-aware, are you? 

You're talking out of your back-flap again. If you want me or anyone else to take a blind bit of notice of your strident views, put your credentials on the table. Otherwise you're just another opinionated toe-rag who the Internet has given a voice to, and there are too many of you out there to waste time on. 

1 minute ago, 1of4 said:

Even if it was just the freak whether conditions that caused the mayhem in Texas as you claim. I'm unsure why the energy companies needed to raised their prices many fold during this period of serere low temperatures, other than to take as much money as they could from the unfortunate Texans that were struggling to keep warm.

While politicians stood back and did nothing, hell one senior politicians even went on holiday during this time of crisis. I'm starting to get a feeling of deja vu.

It was freak weather conditions, the temp drops below 15 deg there and they act like the artic has hit. The weather also disrupted mass chemical production down there because they weren't prepared for such low temperatures and it caused mayhem to the global supply chain, also effecting current pricing. 

Politician’s eh, they’re all the same all over the world, left, right and central all corrupt self serving charlatans. 

10 minutes ago, Crewton said:

You aren't very self-aware, are you? 

You're talking out of your back-flap again. If you want me or anyone else to take a blind bit of notice of your strident views, put your credentials on the table. Otherwise you're just another opinionated toe-rag who the Internet has given a voice to, and there are too many of you out there to waste time on. 

Put my credentials on the table? It’s not a ducking interview. Who are you anyway Jonny big balls?
You actually think I care if you take a blind bit of notice to me or my views, how arrogant. 

Edited by TexasRam