Finance thread 2022.

Rev

42 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why irrational? I've got one of the early 'usage displays' that BG gave out. It shows how much electric I'm using by sending a signal from the meter to the device to display. The supplier sends an email telling me to send a reading, the dial is numbers so easy to read.

Why do I need a smart meter? Of course we are all bearing the cost of the swap in our bills. 

I only said “perhaps”. Maybe the suspicion and caution I have over them is unfounded. They may not add any real value but do they do any harm?

In terms of “why do I need a smart meter”, I don’t think it’s really about making your meter readings easier. It’s also being more aware of the energy you may be wasting but there is a risk of becoming obsessed I would imagine. In your case it sounds like you’ve got a device that’s already got that covered.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I only said “perhaps”. Maybe the suspicion and caution I have over them is unfounded. They may not add any real value but do they do any harm?

In terms of “why do I need a smart meter”, I don’t think it’s really about making your meter readings easier. It’s also being more aware of the energy you may be wasting but there is a risk of becoming obsessed I would imagine. In your case it sounds like you’ve got a device that’s already got that covered.

It depends, do you consider the potential ability a smart meter gives suppliers to charge different energy rates, say at different times of the day, ie tea-time might be high rate, is a good thing or not.

In the case of a smart meter making you aware of energy use, how does it do, it I've no desire for one so don't know?

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

This thread was intended to be a way of helping people out during difficult times, not to argue over lockdowns.

Fair comment. Although it’s now merged with finance thread. 

it’s hard to generalise , Fuel bills are the biggie aren’t they .. if anyone is vulnerable they shouldn’t be bullied by the energy companies as that is contrary to their licence. 

On 05/06/2022 at 08:58, Steve How Hard? said:

What are peoples thoughts on smart meters? Constantly being harassed by my energy supplier to have one installed. What are the good and bad points of them?

Heard some stories of them creating more problems than solving them. Genuinely interested in what the good folk on here think of them. 

I bought an electricity monitoring meter years ago before Smart Meters for exactly the reason to monitor my electricity usage and have a real time display in my living room.

Just like a smart meter gives you KwH usage by day, week month and cost, you can set a threshold on it to trigger and warn you when that has been exceeded.

I personally can't think of any bad points, it's a very useful tool and does help you become more aware of your usage and manage it accordingly.

As I've got this device am not in any rush to have my meter changed over as it would do just the same as my electricity monitor. 

Can't understand what any downsides would be quite frankly. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

I bought an electricity monitoring meter years ago before Smart Meters for exactly the reason to monitor my electricity usage and have a real time display in my living room.

Just like a smart meter gives you KwH usage by day, week month and cost, you can set a threshold on it to trigger and warn you when that has been exceeded.

I personally can't think of any bad points, it's a very useful tool and does help you become more aware of your usage and manage it accordingly.

As I've got this device am not in any rush to have my meter changed over as it would do just the same as my electricity monitor. 

Anything or anyone who calls themselves smart is not to be trusted. 

17 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I'm not tech savvy, I was due to have a smart meter installed on July 1st, I was told a while back by a British Gas engineer who was servicing my boiler(no jokes needed)that as I'm on an economy 7 tariff they MAY decline a fitting as there's a more work involved, Asked my Daughter who's had one installed(not on economy 7) and she says all's good...so booked for installation.

Did a little research and it would appear I was told the truth...BG don't like the extra work and if they do they will/have turned the economy reading off...this is on a link I posted on here a few days back.

I have since had a snotty generic email from BG saying I could be charged a £30 fee for cancellation, I'll not get the fee charged as I was well within the 24 hour cancellation period.

As Corporal Jones would say..."they don't like it up em" '

I fail to see the purpose of a smart meter, beyond not having to submit readings which is only a 30 second job every 3 months anyway. Seems to be a product made for the sake of keeping British Gas engineers busy.

Your energy usage is your energy usage, having a meter showing the kettle you just boiled cost you 20p isn't going to stop you making that cup of tea is it?

Didn't everyone elses dad used to go round switching lights off around the house and turning TV's off standby? That seems just as effective. Maybe I'm missing something else they do.

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

I fail to see the purpose of a smart meter, beyond not having to submit readings which is only a 30 second job every 3 months anyway. Seems to be a product made for the sake of keeping British Gas engineers busy.

Your energy usage is your energy usage, having a meter showing the kettle you just boiled cost you 20p isn't going to stop you making that cup of tea is it?

Didn't everyone elses dad used to go round switching lights off around the house and turning TV's off standby? That seems just as effective. Maybe I'm missing something else they do.

I think the principle is (not saying I subscribe to it fully) that it should make us all think about switching things off and perhaps changing routines when we can actually see the amount of energy used each day. Not everyone has that dad to go around switching things off. When I go to visit one of my daughters, there are always far too many lights just left on and the house is excessively warm (what’s wrong with putting two or three jumpers on ?). 

I don’t think I need a smart meter as I am still that skinflint dad even though both my daughters left home a while ago (probably to get warm?).

We’ve got SKY with movies/sports/multi room - the works. Plus Netflix, Disney, Amazon. I’m trying to persuade the Mrs into cancelling SKY as we’re paying north of £140 for all this. Ridiculous. What’s the best alternative? NOW TV was suggested but what are the thoughts in here??

On 21/04/2022 at 08:49, Tamworthram said:

I always shop around on renewal for our car insurance (two cars), house insurance, broadband, savings accounts and, until the current crisis, utilities. I’ve never found it a major chore (especially given it’s only once a year for each) and if it’s taking up too much of your time then you’re doing it wrong. 

On Saturday i tested the new rule that insurer must offer same price for renewal and newbies. Esure for home insurance sent us renewal, up £30 from last year and same online. Facked off elsewhere saved £20 cheaper. I might put in a bid for the club i am loaded.

1 hour ago, enachops said:

We’ve got SKY with movies/sports/multi room - the works. Plus Netflix, Disney, Amazon. I’m trying to persuade the Mrs into cancelling SKY as we’re paying north of £140 for all this. Ridiculous. What’s the best alternative? NOW TV was suggested but what are the thoughts in here??

Haggle hard with Sky.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5480644/sky-tv-retention-deals-post-your-haggling-successes/p472

3 hours ago, enachops said:

My Son's was the same price, He cancelled after trying to negotiate a better price, They sent him 2 boxes to send his Sky equipment back, They were the wrong size, He contacted them to say wrong packages...at this point Sky gave him the same deal for £84 for 18 months...there's money to be saved ?

10 hours ago, enachops said:

Work out what you actually watch regularly and what is a nice to have then cut your cloth accordingly. Go and get quotes from the other subscribers and then present these back to SKY on a like for like basis.

They'll have the same information anyway just as when I get my annual renewal from my insurance firms they can access the same tables on the price comparison websites that I am referring to so they know what other companies are offering and won't put up much if any resistance when challenged to match the best price. 

Look into your current contract, if you have penalities for canceling your subscription part way through are you going to make this up in the long run by moving to a cheaper provider?

Be prepared that if you do negotiate a better deal with SKY then the kicker could be that they tie you into an unfavorably long contract with cancellation clauses in it.

And stand your ground. 

Edited by Tyler Durden