Finance thread 2022.

Rev

21 minutes ago, GeneralRam said:

Electric is costing me $40 a month here in the US.

UK really needs to u-turn on policy and start with the Shale gas and fracking.

No thanks. But as many of our politicians are now either stupid or corrupt, like those sat in Congress. I expect we'll soon have our water sources contaminated, as is happening in the USA

36 minutes ago, GeneralRam said:

Electric is costing me $40 a month here in the US.

UK really needs to u-turn on policy and start with the Shale gas and fracking.

100% we need to start fracking, cheap accessible energy under our feet. Absolutely no decent argument against it 

6 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

What could possibly go wrong? ?

Nothing has so far with it in other countries has it ????

is a solution we have right now to help with the energy cost issues. Green or nuclear energy is the way forward but it won’t resolve the issue today. Fracking is a available now, we are pretty arrogant and ignorant to just walk away from it. 

if we don’t do something NOW disaster is around the corner and I don’t just mean your household bills, companies and businesses all over the UK will close impacting the problem. But hey let’s ignore a source of energy we have under our own feet, 

Edited by TexasRam

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

is a solution we have right now to help with the energy cost issues. Green or nuclear energy is the way forward but it won’t resolve the issue today. Fracking is a available now, we are pretty arrogant and ignorant to just walk away from it. 

if we don’t do something NOW disaster is around the corner and I don’t just mean your household bills, companies and businesses all over the UK will close impacting the problem. But hey let’s ignore a source of energy we have under our own feet, 

Well this lot in Westminster are allowing uncontrolled pumping of raw sewage into watercourses, so I guess a few more unspecified chemicals entering the water system won’t make much difference?

Best idea would be to divert the £350,000,000 a week destined for the NHS into subsidising peoples energy bills……………

10 hours ago, TexasRam said:

100% we need to start fracking, cheap accessible energy under our feet. Absolutely no decent argument against it 

Has caused earth tremors in Lancashire...now under suspension from UK Government, Should we carry on and hope for a smooth supply, Or chance it and disturb our foundations/shale  

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/two-earth-tremors-in-two-days-at-uks-only-fracking-site-157704/

1 minute ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Has caused earth tremors in Lancashire...now under suspension from UK Government, Should we carry on and hope for a smooth supply, Or chance it and disturb our foundations/shale  

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/two-earth-tremors-in-two-days-at-uks-only-fracking-site-157704/

Earth tremors ? they’ve been doing it in South Texas for years and zero issues……

3 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Aye, all those mini earthquakes are in peoples imagination, as the body responsible for reporting them says so. Nothing to see here, move along.

It’s a cheap alternative which we have lots or reserve, a few mini tremors maybe but can’t think of anything else that could help NOW

17 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

It’s a cheap alternative which we have lots or reserve, a few mini tremors maybe but can’t think of anything else that could help NOW

I'm not sure how long it takes to start fracking and see the results of this bountiful new energy source, but I think it may take longer than "NOW".

And whilst there may be arguments for and against fracking, I'm not sure that this is entirely true...

10 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Absolutely no decent argument against it 

Anyway, why don't we nationalise our energy companies, then use these companies to supply the energy to foreign customers for inflated prices. As if any other country would be stupid enough to do that, right?!

Especially a country that doesn't know if we are a friend or foe!

My solution to fix the situation NOW, so people don't freeze and go hungry, is to cut the top rate of income tax, then give extra energy rebates to those with unoccupied 2nd homes in Cornwall.

23 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Earth tremors ? they’ve been doing it in South Texas for years and zero issues……

You can fit the UK almost 3 times into the size of Texas, Texas has a vast expanse of uninhabited land, Where in the UK we're Drilling, Building huge housing estates, Expanding our motorways, Business parks galore, There's some land near Stonehenge where there could be some shale gas, There's only an old tumbled down place of worship?

Did you read all of the link I posted, If you did, Then maybe you skirted this piece.

Secret non-disclosure agreement

Cuadrilla are under fire after a non-disclosure agreement between Cuadrilla and the British Geological Survey – the UK’s earthquake monitoring agency was unearthed. It revealed that the earthquake monitor agreed only to release Cuadrilla operational data with the fracking firm’s permission and to destroy confidential documents at its request.

A redacted copy of the secret agreement was obtained by the i newspaper, along with correspondence between the agency and the fracking company using Environmental Information Regulations. Dr Doug Parr, chief scientist for Greenpeace UK, told the paper: “A confidentiality agreement will do little to increase confidence in an unpopular and mistrusted industry.” 

A Cuadrilla spokesperson confirmed there was an agreement, insisting: “This agreement does not in any way impact the BGS in its publishing of a range of monitoring data. A confidentiality agreement is fairly standard practice between private and public sector organisations. Cuadrilla is committed to open and transparent operations.”

If you have a secret...then you have something to hide

18 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Thatcher and her government shut down an industry that was supplying a major source of energy. But that was probably down to her not liking the people that was digging this source of energy out from under our own feet. More than any environmental issues raised from the burning of coal.

Though it would definitely be frowned upon if we were using more coal than we presently do, due to the damage it does to the environment. The environmental damage that is done by fracking is equally as bad. So it's probably best to leave both these energy sources sat under our feet  and concentrate on our production of clean energy.

4 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Thatcher and her government shut down an industry that was supplying a major source of energy. But that was probably down to her not liking the people that was digging this source of energy out from under our own feet. More than any environmental issues raised from the burning of coal.

Though it would definitely be frowned upon if we were using more coal than we presently do, due to the damage it does to the environment. The environmental damage that is done by fracking is equally as bad. So it's probably best to leave both these energy sources sat under our feet  and concentrate on our production of clean energy.

I agree on the clean energy however wind provided 2% of the UK energy yesterday solar 21%, over 60% was powered by gas (which is the most costly to the people). So yes clean energy is great, but we don’t have the infrastructure  for it to be meaningful yet and won’t have for quite some time. I hope people can afford the morals of going green while the countries who really matter to improving the environment continue use more traditional fuels to power their economy. 

38 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I agree on the clean energy however wind provided 2% of the UK energy yesterday solar 21%, over 60% was powered by gas (which is the most costly to the people). So yes clean energy is great, but we don’t have the infrastructure  for it to be meaningful yet and won’t have for quite some time. I hope people can afford the morals of going green while the countries who really matter to improving the environment continue use more traditional fuels to power their economy. 

It's easy to pick the odd day when fossil fuel useage exceeds renewables. The fact is that we've relied less and less on fossil fuels in recent years and that trend is only going to increase over the next 10-20 years. Increasing fossil fuel use is a backward step that this country doesn't need to take and wouldn't help anyone in the current crisis anyway. 

What the green lobby do need to get over is their aversion to nuclear power. It has had its problems of course, but the technology is advancing and, whilst expensive, it has the potential to fill the gap left by fossil fuels and provide sufficient capacity to cover days when the sun and the wind don't show up.

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

It's easy to pick the odd day when fossil fuel useage exceeds renewables. The fact is that we've relied less and less on fossil fuels in recent years and that trend is only going to increase over the next 10-20 years. Increasing fossil fuel use is a backward step that this country doesn't need to take and wouldn't help anyone in the current crisis anyway. 

What the green lobby do need to get over is their aversion to nuclear power. It has had its problems of course, but the technology is advancing and, whilst expensive, it has the potential to fill the gap left by fossil fuels and provide sufficient capacity to cover days when the sun and the wind don't show up.

It is easy as it happens most days. I agree we shouldn’t depend on fossil fuels, however saying it wouldn’t help with the current cost crisis is one of the most stupid comments I think I’ve read on this forum. You think importing energy is cheaper than using our own reserves ? Wow 

I agree on the Nuclear options and the green agenda, however this is not a quick solution and not one myself or my children will really benefit from. Mind you form what happened during covid it’s quiet obvious people in my children and my own demographics don’t count anyway.