World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

32 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He mis-controlled his first touch and defenders were so far away they still didn't get to close down his shot. Meh. Not a patch on Bielik's goal for us.

Bieliks was sweet and bloody brave. Richarlisons was art in motion …..  (and lousy defending ) 

40 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He mis-controlled his first touch and defenders were so far away they still didn't get to close down his shot. Meh. Not a patch on Bielik's goal for us.

Meh?? Was a decent finish even if you want to criticise the initial touch, have you had a nasty experience with a Brazilian before? 

7 minutes ago, sage said:

I don't suppose German fans in Russia wore SS uniforms did they

So hold on, first of all yes, it is dumb and provocative considering where the tournament is. To me it’s just rude, but I am stuffy and old hat

but you know if someone else can wear historic or traditional nationalistic  “gear” then how come others can’t ? And if you can’t wear a rainbow hat either, then somewhere, something is pretty skewed. One man’s Crusader insult verses another’s “orientation” hate ?  .. The costumes are offensive no doubt at all. …. The anti homosexual laws are offensive, no doubt at all When in Rome ? But the “Romans” invited you to bring your “thing” to their house

so what are the rules of engagement - fascinating debate ! 

1 minute ago, jono said:

So hold on, first of all yes, it is dumb and provocative considering where the tournament is. To me it’s just rude, but I am stuffy and old hat

but you know if someone else can wear historic or traditional nationalistic  “gear” then how come others can’t ? And if you can’t wear a rainbow hat either, then somewhere, something is pretty skewed. One man’s Crusader insult verses another’s “orientation” hate ?  .. The costumes are offensive no doubt at all. …. The anti homosexual laws are offensive, no doubt at all When in Rome ? But the “Romans” invited you to bring your “thing” to their house

For me, if I was to travel to X country and they had a rule that said no wearing shorts for example, I wouldn’t take shorts or try to protest the ruling in anyway like wearing a skirt instead.

Likewise I wouldn’t like to see someone coming over to the UK and sleeping with 14 year olds, where the age of consent is 14 in their country. 

Respect the laws of the country you are visiting, even if you don’t agree with them or simply do not visit.

So many countries have their own issues (in my opinion) before trying to “fix” other countries, take the US for example where you can go to Walmart and buy yourself an assault rifle, large percentage of Americans will go to great lengths to defend their right to bear arms.

And this is the country which we closely align ourselves with on issues across the Middle East…..

Anyhow, I don’t agree with the initial negotiations FIFA had with the Qatari’s to relax their laws, however when they agreed to, then backtracked and FIFA have supported the decisions, I’m happy to see countries such as Germany stick the middle finger up to FIFA.

Best thing FIFA could have done is say to the Qatari’s, if you change what was agreed, we’ll simply suspend the World Cup until next summer and award it to a country that has the infrastructure in place to host.

The World Cup, a global tournament, the host must be welcoming to all, Qatar should never have been awarded it. 

1 hour ago, jono said:

If I saw Italian fans at Wembley dressed as Roman centurions, Danish fans dressed as Vikings, Frenchmen dressed as whatever the French soldiers looked like in 1066 I wouldn't personally be offended. Its a long time since those lot invaded, raped, pillaged and slaughtered the then inhabitants of this island of ours. Its been a while and we've done more than our fair share to other countries since.

Someone should tell the Qatar government its nowt more than half a dozen middle class, middle aged tossers in fancy dress trying to be relevant.

12 hours ago, sage said:

He said he was prepared to take the booking. The FA made the decision. 

What part of personal responsibility don't you understand?

"I would have taken the booking but the FA told me not to."

Moral cowardice. If you believe in it, do it. If you believe in it and people are trying to stop you, hide the armband in your pants and bring it out on the pitch and put it on. It's pathetic to say I would have done it but the consequences from either FIFA or the FA made me not.

I wouldn't personally go to the Middle East dressed as a Knight's Templar, but when you compare the Crusades which, on and off, covered a period of 200 years, with over 1,000 years of occupation and subjugation of parts of South-East and South-West Europe by Muslim armies, it's a bit rich to cry "poor taste" over an item of fancy dress. 

1 hour ago, jono said:

It's a tricky one. 

I think rainbow hats are much less offensive amd without any logo are just bright strepwy hats. 

The crusader fabs should know better. I simple 'please don't wear that again in this country' should suffice 

21 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

What part of personal responsibility don't you understand?

"I would have taken the booking but the FA told me not to."

Moral cowardice. If you believe in it, do it. If you believe in it and people are trying to stop you, hide the armband in your pants and bring it out on the pitch and put it on. It's pathetic to say I would have done it but the consequences from either FIFA or the FA made me not.

It's not pathetic. His employers made the decision. 

We don't know what sanctions the FA have been threatened with 

I do understand personal responsibility, but also collective responsibility and the greater good. 

1 hour ago, sage said:

It's a tricky one. 

I think rainbow hats are much less offensive amd without any logo are just bright strepwy hats. 

The crusader fabs should know better. I simple 'please don't wear that again in this country' should suffice 

I personally wouldn’t wear fancy dress, it’s not my thing. But to kick someone out of the stadium for that is a serious sense of humour failure.

it’s the impression I get about the Middle East in general, and maybe I’m completely wrong, maybe it’s skewed by the media, and I genuinely look forward to going their myself to find out, but there seems to be zero sense of humour. 

the crusades happened literally thousands of years ago, chill the f*** out. There seems to be all sorts of things you can’t joke about, or you’ll lose a hand. I dread to think how stand up comedy works over there. Comedians must be in fear for their life, all the time. 

6 hours ago, Crewton said:

I wouldn't personally go to the Middle East dressed as a Knight's Templar, but when you compare the Crusades which, on and off, covered a period of 200 years, with over 1,000 years of occupation and subjugation of parts of South-East and South-West Europe by Muslim armies, it's a bit rich to cry "poor taste" over an item of fancy dress. 

It isn’t tasteful, but lots of things in life aren’t , and if pressuring Saudi Arabia to sell beer would be Islamaphobic then what is pressuring people not to wear rainbow armbands ? 

22 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Lest we forget - this is the same man who claimed to be able to tell someone was Polish just by looking at them, but claims that he didn't know that Joe Lycett was gay. ?

Oh how little clique laughed at that joke ???

I think you'll find I said Eastern European rather than Polish but hey ho.

FYI I'm not really aware of Joe Lycett or his work, I only really heard of him following the Liz Truss incident.

But once again you've shown yourself up as another of the hypocrites, happy to say people can't identify Eastern Europeans by the way that they dress only to follow that up by saying that I should be able to identify gay people based on...well actually I have no idea what you base it on.

It all to me shows we should never have been involved with this tournament. Don't send a team, don't go and watch it, don't watch it on the telly, don't go to the pub because there's a match on. 

It's so detached from our culture. It's a massive mistake. If you don't have a problem with the laws, with the homophobia, with the oppressive regime, with huan slavery, with human rights abuses, with deaths of immigrant workers in the construction, with the lack of respect for the national leagues who have to accommodate the world cup in the middle of their domestic season - if all of that still doesn't put you off, think of the FIFA officials pocketing millions of dirty money. 

Just forget it. I have seen nothing good from anything going on. And £50 for 6 cans of beer, they can all do one. 

9 hours ago, Crewton said:

I think you make a decent point. However, I reckon most sensible folk would understand how it could be deemed a tad provocative to turn up in a highly religious part of the world dressed as an invading warrior from an army during a war very much about religion especially given the tension between the two religions back then and very much in more recent times. I wonder how many UAE and Egypt supporters were dressed as invading Umayyad soldiers in Italy in 1990?

Personally, I have no religion so it wouldn't bother me but, I do think it would have been sensible on this occasion to advise England supporters to dispense with the Crusader fancy dress.