World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

38 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

At least Wales won the national anthem part of the fixture. Shame there are no points on offer for that bit.

There won't be many more leaky goalkeepers (if you pardon the phrase) than Danny Ward - let in a goal every seven minutes on average.

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

What's happening in Iran shows that away from the governments there are many many people who have more in common with us than many imagine. 

You could travel the ME and meet millions of people who's beliefs aren't so different. Who are waaaay more open minded than the news stories about governments, militaries suggest. 

It is about the Governments, not the people.

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

Iran score in the 8th minute of added time - and what a finish. Looks like the ‘brave’ Welsh team might be on their way out….

Wales were lamentably bad. And Iran showed us why they’re there. Iran USA might just be a belter. 

The Iran team look now to be in the frame of mind that they’re playing for the people not the regime. Would love them to advance 

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

I guess you could only compare it Turkey coming with their, I dunno, Ottoman get up. Saracen star and crescents everywhere. Medieval armor. Would people here find it provocative? Hmmm, probably not many. 

But our media loves the Middle East barbarian goat herders stereotype. Stoning women and hanging gays. Always seems to me they paint the worst of them. Maybe it's just because I'm easily triggered by such stuff 

Nobody would care at all. William Wallace was knocking around at the same time as the last crusader lands fell on the mainland. In the developed world people don't care about things that happened almost a millenium ago. And in case you forget the lands taken by the crusaders were Christian in the first place - nobody would care if a group of Arabs came to England dressed as invading Muslim soldiers.

Do you know why they media portrays these countries as barbarians? Its because virtually all of them have discriminatory laws against homosexuals - some have the death penalty and others just ban it entirely and they all score very poorly when it comes to womens rights. The Arabian peninsula also treats other ethnicities extremely poorly. The media has absolutely nothing to do with their poor reputation - stop trying to find excuses for them

1 minute ago, GenBr said:

Nobody would care at all. William Wallace was knocking around at the same time as the last crusader lands fell on the mainland. In the developed world people don't care about things that happened almost a millenium ago. And in case you forget the lands taken by the crusaders were Christian in the first place - nobody would care if a group of Arabs came to England dressed as invading Muslim soldiers.

Do you know why they media portrays these countries as barbarians? Its because virtually all of them have discriminatory laws against homosexuals - some have the death penalty and others just ban it entirely and they all score very poorly when it comes to womens rights. The Arabian peninsula also treats other ethnicities extremely poorly. The media has absolutely nothing to do with their poor reputation - stop trying to find excuses for them

Excuses for who? The people or some of the governments? 

I think I can already gauge your opinion of the Middle East to know we aren't going to agree on anything here. 

And it's funny you're telling me nobody would care at all if Middle East fans came dressed as Muslim soldiers. 

I actually said I don't think many would. But have a look around you. People are offended by everything. Every issue here that can create hysteria or panic is played up. Everybody wants to crusade for what's righteous 24/7. That's before we get to knuckle dragging football fans that have 1 pint and lose control

So I disagree "nobody would care at all" 

But in the main, no, I don't think there'd be much fuss about it. And I have doubts the people in Qatar care about England fans wearing Crusader costumes. Which was my point about the portrayal of what goes on in the Middle East. Because the vast majority of people are decent people as they are here. 

Edited by Alpha

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

And it's funny you're telling me nobody would care at all if Middle East fans came dressed as Muslim soldiers. 

I actually said I don't think many would. But have a look around you. People are offended by everything. Every issue here that can create hysteria or panic is played up. Everybody wants to crusade for what's righteous 24/7. That's before we get to knuckle dragging football fans that have 1 pint and lose control

So I disagree "nobody would care at all" 

But in the main, no, I don't think there'd be much fuss about it. And I have doubts the people in Qatar care about England fans wearing Crusader costumes. Which was my point about the portrayal of what goes on in the Middle East. Because the vast majority of people are decent people as they are here. 

It's all a bit silly to be honest. Would I care if the saudis dressed as 15th century Saracens? No, and I doubt anyone would.

Would I care if they dressed as 21st century terrorists, replete with a bandolier full of bullets over each shoulder and an AK47 on the hip? Maybe. I'd also be a bit disappointed if anyone thought it funny to dress up in full military uniform and go as a modern day squaddie for the bantz.

What I think is probably funniest is that most of the people dressing up probably don't even see the link between the costume and the crusades. It's a game of dress-up to them.

As has already been said, a request to not wear it in future should be sufficient, but you know for a fact it wouldn't.

2 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

It's all a bit silly to be honest. Would I care if the saudis dressed as 15th century Saracens? No, and I doubt anyone would.

Would I care if they dressed as 21st century terrorists, replete with a bandolier full of bullets over each shoulder and an AK47 on the hip? Maybe. I'd also be a bit disappointed if anyone thought it funny to dress up in full military uniform and go as a modern day squaddie for the bantz.

What I think is probably funniest is that most of the people dressing up probably don't even see the link between the costume and the crusades. It's a game of dress-up to them.

As has already been said, a request to not wear it in future should be sufficient, but you know for a fact it wouldn't.

If anything, I would expect this would probably encourage fans to do it.

5 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Nope. No hypocrisy at all, as I am in no way saying that you should be able to identify someone's sexuality by anything other than them saying it out loud

I was saying that you've admitted in the past (via the Eastern European thing) to being quite a judgemental person, and that therefore I found your feigned ignorance about Joe Lycett to be entirely performative

Hands up though, you've now clarified that you weren't aware of him until 2 months ago, so I accept that you may have been unaware that he was gay

I'd also like to clarify that I had no idea this guy used to present Match Of The Day

image.thumb.png.d2be1c98f6aa28723bf9510320bc2e71.png

Feigned ignorance? I think I've probably seen the guy on tv once.

So just to confirm you are saying I should be able to identify people's sexuality from seeing them on tv once but I cannot identify someone's culture by the way they dress.

As I said, rank hypocrisy. 

Edited by G STAR RAM

50 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I'm surprised that some think this is to do with the Crusade, It aint, They do it because they think it's Saint George, Whether St George was a Roman soldier of Greek extraction or whether he was from the Island of Ireland.

Respect the Country you're visiting...simple as, You don't like it...don't go ?

What with all this PC'ness that's going around this time, and the global calls for respect, decorum, and high morals, I can't help wondering whether we are actually going to get the usual inundation of  "Fit birds from around the world" videos/pics that usually circle the internet around this time every 4 years?  ?‍♂️

... I certainly hope not! ?

21 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

What with all this PC'ness that's going around this time, and the global calls for respect, decorum, and high morals, I can't help wondering whether we are actually going to get the usual inundation of  "Fit birds from around the world" videos/pics that usually circle the internet around this time every 4 years?  ?‍♂️

... I certainly hope not! ?

Don't worry, the camera operators haven't been slacking. It's probably FIFAs fault for pulling the videos down on copyright strikes.

Back to the football for a sec, I'd be very surprised if Gakpo wasn't a PL footballer by the end of the January window.

Edited by Animal is a Ram

56 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So just to confirm you are saying I should be able to identify people's sexuality from seeing them on tv once but I cannot identify someone's culture by the way they dress.

No. To confirm. That's not what I'm saying. At all. 

Thanks

Edited by Stive Pesley