Rams v Preston Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

Dammed Covid. I had to watch from Melbourne, (the Aussie one) so it seemed like someone kept standing in my view, just like the old Baseball Ground!

We were a bit second-to-everything for the opening 20. And although we were a bit rocky at the back in that time, Preston didn't actually cut us open for the entire match, but we gradually turned up the heat bit by bit till there was only one team in it at the end. Tom should have scored with that header, and Ebiowei should have taken the free kick which resulted from the red card as the keeper was totally set up for Tom, and did have the shot covered.

At the time I thought the ref was fair to middling, but in reality the signs were there from the start, with Malcolm getting dumped twice with no free-kick, but penalised for a fair tackle a bit later on. The lad walked away from the ref with a huge grin on his face, but a grin or ridicule, not joy. However the red card was a bit of a surprise because he could have claimed there were covering defenders, plus we never get those sort of decisions! 

From about 35 minutes Preston got away with a number of cynical fouls while getting everything that they fell for. Ched Evans going down near the centre circle as though he'd been run over by a combine harvester when Knight more or less pulled out of the tackle was a peach. As was Tom getting taken out near the halfway line miles off the ball with the ref looking on.

Max's red card was a bit harsh because the leg he went in with was already bent backwards away from the Preston man, and his trailing leg was barely off the floor. Given what has been got away with against Derby players this season alone means Max should have had a yellow. Max's foolishness was in going in with a hefty challenge when it was obvious the ref was trying to even things up. If they appeal it, they should submit video evidence, including some of the lunges against our players which have gone unpunished, such as the three against Joswaick which finished his season. 

The cynicism continued, with Plange getting taken out by the defender who was the first booking of the day, so he should have been off as well. Nowt given, of course. Similarly Knight was taken out in the same way by Johnson, who was booked for it a few minutes later. But Johnson wasn't booked for kicking Knight in the head a while later, so he should have gone as well, with Preston being down to 8 men. But I have been assured by Ricky Parry's oppo that the match officials are highly trained, and operate to consistent standards. Yeah - consistently poor ones.

The turning up of the heat was given an extra boost with the introduction of Beilik and Morrison, and I might be forgiven for thinking that it was only a matter of time. The goal actually came from one of those situations which normally tell you we aren't going to score in a month of Sundays, with two great saves by their excellent keeper and a couple of other blocks before Ravel flew in and let fly! YYYEEEESSSSS!!!!!

In reality the win was well deserved for the way we overcame our slothfulness, by the original team selection, by the substitutions and by us actually managing the game out at the end with not too much bother! And we didn't thow away the advantage of other scores going our way as well, which is nice!

Right. Whose for it next? Ah yes, Swansea. Let's go!

Edited by DavesaRam

11 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Dammed Covid. I had to watch from Melbourne, (the Aussie one) so it seemed like someone kept standing in my view, just like the old Baseball Ground!

We were a bit second-to-everything for the opening 20. And although we were a bit rocky at the back in that time, Preston didn't actually cut us open for the entire match, but we gradually turned up the heat bit by bit till there was only one team in it at the end. Tom should have scored with that header, and Ebiowei should have taken the free kick which resulted from the red card as the keeper was totally set up for Tom, and did have the shot covered.

At the time I thought the ref was fair to middling, but in reality the signs were there from the start, with Malcolm getting dumped twice with no free-kick, but penalised for a fair tackle a bit later on. The lad walked away from the ref with a huge grin on his face, but a grin or ridicule, not joy. However the red card was a bit of a surprise because he could have claimed there were covering defenders, plus we never get those sort of decisions! 

From about 35 minutes Preston got away with a number of cynical fouls while getting everything that they fell for. Ched Evans going down near the centre circle as though he'd been run over by a combine harvester when Knight more or less pulled out of the tackle was a peach. As was Tom getting taken out near the halfway line miles off the ball with the ref looking on.

Max's red card was a bit harsh because the leg he went in with was already bent backwards away from the Preston man, and his trailing leg was barely off the floor. Given what has been got away with against Derby players this season alone means Max should have had a yellow. Max's foolishness was in going in with a hefty challenge when it was obvious the ref was trying to even things up. If they appeal it, they should submit video evidence, including some of the lunges against our players which have gone unpunished, such as the three against Joswaick which finished his season. 

The cynicism continued, with Plange getting taken out by the defender who was the first booking of the day, so he should have been off as well. Nowt given, of course. Similarly Knight was taken out in the same way by Johnson, who was booked for it a few minutes later. But Johnson wasn't booked for kicking Knight in the head a while later, so he should have gone as well, with Preston being down to 8 men. But I have been assured by Ricky Parry's oppo that the match officials are highly trained, and operate to consistent standards. Yeah - consistently poor ones.

The turning up of the heat was given an extra boost with the introduction of Beilik and Morrison, and I might be forgiven for thinking that it was only a matter of time. The goal actually came from one of those situations which normally tell you we aren't going to score in a month of Sundays, with two great saves by their excellent keeper and a couple of other blocks before Ravel flew in and let fly! YYYEEEESSSSS!!!!!

In reality the win was well deserved for the way we overcame our slothfulness, by the original team selection, by the substitutions and by us actually managing the game out at the end with not too much bother! And we didn't thow away the advantage of other scores going our way as well, which is nice!

Right. Whose for it next? Ah yes, Swansea. Let's go!

Agree with a lot of that but Max can have no complaints ?

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Agree with a lot of that but Max can have no complaints ?

Yes he can. I've just watched the Sky highlights. At no time was he going in studs up, and his leading foor was only just off the ground. Should have been a yellow, and 10 for artistic interpretation and presentation for the guy doing 65 rolls along the ground, which is what helped the ref to even things up. Again, given the GBH which has been regularly dished out to Derby players with nothing given, it was a harsh decision. If we had a Governing Body in the EFL it would be worth appealing, but not worth it given the lot who are in charge. 

3 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Yes he can. I've just watched the Sky highlights. At no time was he going in studs up, and his leading foor was only just off the ground. Should have been a yellow, and 10 for artistic interpretation and presentation for the guy doing 65 rolls along the ground, which is what helped the ref to even things up. Again, given the GBH which has been regularly dished out to Derby players with nothing given, it was a harsh decision. If we had a Governing Body in the EFL it would be worth appealing, but not worth it given the lot who are in charge. 

I have seen it too. Definitely a red. Have to agree to disagree on this one ?

3 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Cashin superb today,  He looks like he's been playing at this level for years.

I’m no expert judge, but I swear I saw glimpses of Sir Jake in him today. 
I’ll keep my eye out for more of that!  ?

Edited by Mucker1884
Fat fingers.

Vital 3 points & a good performance overall against a surprisingly motivated midtable opponent

After an even first 20 mins, felt we bossed the rest of the half. Lawrence should have scored from his header 12 yards out & a fantastic save from their keeper was needed to deny Knight. Their red card was totally justified (Lawrence was clean through) but it probably didn't do us any favours as they started sitting in & timewasting helped by the usual compliant refereeing.

Tore into them second half but just couldn't open them up (some poor quality from wide didnt help) & feared the worse when Bird was sent off. From where we were (East Stand near away fans), Max was entitled to go for it as a 50/50 but was late & his foot was up. Of course they milked it but ref didn't hesitate.

Perversely our red card probably helped as it drew them out & started opening spaces for us to move into. Rooney drove home that advantage by introducing two quality subs in Bielik & Morrison...Ravel looks lethal at the minute, no idea what has changed with him since the insipid displays of the winter. A magnificent winner from him & the place erupted. Never felt in danger of conceding afterwards.

Good atmosphere throughout, fair play to Preston for making a bit of noise & having a few exchanges with South Stand second half. Nice to shut them up with the winner though ?

Onto Swansea. A win there & it may make things interesting. COYR ??

Edited by LeedsCityRam

Just watching Quest to see how we got on. Aberdeenshire Rams just back from Dens Park, Dundee, thought I'd pop along to see Adam Legzdins like you do. Got a good kick and punch on him has Adam.

Quite a few Aberdeen fans would have liked to kick and the punch the referee John Beaton also, during and after the game, as he gave Charlie Adam all the free kicks in the world, after Charlie Adam fouled Aberdeen player after player, before asking for and getting every free kick he desired, from his best mate, the ref, after coming on for the last 30 mins or so, winning the man of the match, and taking the two free kicks that led to the two equalizing goals for Dundee.

The Aberdeen fans clapped their team off the pitch, and booed the officials, and Charlie Adam off it, whilst Charlie Adam smiled back, clapping back in return, knowing perfectly well how he'd conned the match officials.

Dodgy officials all over the game of football, unfortunately.

And I didn't receive the chicken burger and chips I ordered in the pub after the game, as I had to leave the pub to catch the train home, so I hope the young dandy dons fans, that were getting stuck into the drink on the table beside us enjoyed it, if it has turned up yet!

Ps....Up The Rams!

Funniest part of the game was when their no.15 (Rafferty?) jumped up in the air when there no Derby player within 2 yards and then sheepishly got to his feet. I'm sure he tried it again in the second half. I also enjoyed how we comfortably saw out the 5 mins of additional time. I think we managed to use up about 2 mins to take a throw in!

Edited by Wistaston Ram