A refereeing conspiracy?

IslandExile

Well Wayne seems to have signed up to the idea judging by his comments in the Sky interview after tonight's game against Cardiff.

I don't agree with it myself. I think it was 50-50 and Curtis should have been stronger. We would have wanted the goal if the situation had been reversed. Remember Bielik's overhead kick, anyone? That could equally well have been disallowed.

Some decisions just go with the home team. Always have. Always will.

I do think referees are inconsistent. Not just from one ref to another, but the same referee during the same game is often inconsistent with their decision making.

Again, I don't think it's a conspiracy. Just incompetence.

And I'm not even blaming them that much. It's a terribly difficult job and I wouldn't want to do it.

Everyone should realise that without the officials, there'd be no game. We should be more respectful and more grateful.

One final thing, VAR should be thrown out. It certainly hasn't solved anything, just made it all worse. Killing the passion as players and supporters wait to celebrate a goal. Decisions that are just as controversial after review as they were before. Taking responsibility away from the ref does not help improve their decision making

Nope, not the answer. I think the answer would be to retrain ex-players who know the game.

I get its a hard job and majority if not all refs are poor in the EFL but some of the decisions have been very poor. Even going back to the end of last season.

All I will say on tonight is if the roles were reversed & their man went down on the edge of the box it would be a free kick, and if CKR did to Flint what Ikpeazu did to Davies it would have been a Cardiff freekick.

Conspiracy, who knows, but I do feel like we get a lot of poor decisions against us. Seems very easy for decisions to be given against us.

Roos, never a red, Rooney confirmed we got an email to confirm & an apology but its too late then. Morrisons wasnt a red, Stearmans more likely a yellow than a red, but if Morrison & Stearman is a red then so is Crooks on Bird.

Edited by DCFC1388

I thought the ref’s biggest fault was in not allowing quick free kicks. He slowed the game down a few times to the advantage of the fouling team.

He missed a few off the ball fouls but certainly wasn’t the reason we lost.

We played the whole game like we wanted to snatch a 1-0 and a couple of weak moments cost us.

FWIW I think we’ve had odd decisions for a while now, it would be quite funny to see what random pedantic memories people of crap reffing. But let’s maybe not take it too seriously. Obviously a conspiracy is near impossible to prove, but I think we have a decent list of daft decisions over the last three seasons.

The first three I remember being a bit whiffy.

1) Lowe getting a straight red against Luton for ‘touching the ref’ something you see players do week in week out

2) That Ryan Yates two footed challenge on Matt Clarke’s ankle, not booked and no retrospective action leaving Clarke out for 2 months. Explain that one in respect to Craig Forsyth this season. 

3) Byrne getting a booking on his debut coming on as a sub for entering the pitch too early in an empty stadium. Was obviously an error that should be laughed off, but no we somehow get a booking. 

I think that's a fair assessment of the goal.  I'd have been happy to take it as a winner for us. It was a succession of mistakes, as often happens, a culmination of things, Ebosele slipping, allowing a good delivery into the box, Davies up against a sub, more energetic in his challenge against a tiring defender.

Referees have a tough job, but can often infuriate with their inconsistency. Agree.

Disagree with VAR, football is now a televised game, the speed & let's be honest, the gamesmanship of players, trying to buy any advantage by the use of dark arts, means VAR is necessary. I think incidents like Thierry Henry's handball against Ireland was the sort of thing that saw it brought in. I think it needs to be used with more discretion by referees, to support them with a contentious decision. One of the ironies about VAR is that fans now celebrate when a decision goes for them. I think the referee needs to assume responsibility again, but with VAR as a fail-safe.

I'm not sure how many VAR decisions occur in each PL game, I doubt it is as many as people think. It is just that some of them come across as bizarre, like the foot/arm slightly over the line. I was going to suggest allowing each team limited challenges as in cricket, initiating a challenge until they reach a limit of unsuccessful appeals. Of course, it is a different sport but I'm talking about the principle.

Oh Wayne....you have so much to learn about referees.

It's a bit different when you're not Man u.

I think there might be a bit of an attitude about us and just on some level it's easy for refs to not give us the rub, but I don't think there's anything going on that would be intentional or a conspiricy. It's just ? same as everyone gets.

5 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

FWIW I think we’ve had odd decisions for a while now, it would be quite funny to see what random pedantic memories people of crap reffing. But let’s maybe not take it too seriously. Obviously a conspiracy is near impossible to prove, but I think we have a decent list of daft decisions over the last three seasons.

1) Lowe getting a straight red against Luton for ‘touching the ref’ something you see players do week in week out

2) That Ryan Yates two footed challenge on Matt Clarke’s ankle, not booked and no retrospective action leaving Clarke out for 2 months. Explain that one in respect to Craig Forsyth this season. 

3) Byrne getting a booking on his debut coming on as a sub for entering the pitch too early in an empty stadium. Was obviously an error that should be laughed off, but no we somehow get a booking. 

I agree, that was a terrible decision, with injury literally added to insult. I think other referees must have noted it because Yates went on to make a similar challenge & was red-carded in his next game at Bristol City. No consolation to us, but it suggests other referees may have thought it was lenient.

9 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

My immediate thought after the Ikpeachu goal was the goal Lawrence scored against Hull like 2 and a half years ago now that got disallowed, before Bowen scored 2 for them and we lost.
Around the 6 minute 20 mark here:

How's that for a pedantic memory!

8 minutes ago, Asanovic70 said:

VAR is necessary. I think incidents like Thierry Henry's handball against Ireland was the sort of thing that saw it brought in.

But then there's the Everton appeal for handball against Citeh, dismissed by VAR. 

As for a conspiracy, it does feel like it because we're in a situation where everything seems to be going against us, the football authorities, EFL, even the effing footballing gods upstairs are sprinkling their fairy dust over Middlesbrough & Forest in the FA Cup. One more likely reason is that we have a squad of players who are playing week in, week out, a third game in six days as pointed out, so fatigue plays a part.

4 minutes ago, JfR said:

My immediate thought after the Ikpeachu goal was the goal Lawrence scored against Hull like 2 and a half years ago now that got disallowed, before Bowen scored 2 for them and we lost.
Around the 6 minute 20 mark here:

How's that for a pedantic memory!

Exactly the type of long term pedanticness I was hoping for, thankyou!

Also…christ!

VAR is used really effectively in Rugby, which is a much more complicated game. I think the main difference being that the refs are significantly better to start with, the touch judges are significantly better and the video refs are also significantly better. Technology is only at good as the people using it in this case for me. 

Football has to improve.

As for refereeing, I doubt we get more dodgy decisions than others to be honest. We didn't lose tonight because of the ref, we just lacked that bit of luck/quality in front of goal. We score first, we go on to win. You really get the rub when you're at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

But then there's the Everton appeal for handball against Citeh, dismissed by VAR. 

Yes, I thought you'd bring that one up. You have to remember VAR is administered by referees and, again, is down to perception. And with or without VAR, referees can take the easy way out from big decisions.

For some reason refereeing changed to very poor last season. And I don't mean just the games we have played in. It happened in Premier League and also in Championship games. Even after the VAR they got things wrong. And what is odd the standard of refereeing dived also in NHL and somewhat in NFL too. This season I think the refs got a grip in NFL but otherwise I have been baffled by the sheer number of bad mistakes they have done.

Just now, RodleyRam said:

VAR is used really effectively in Rugby, which is a much more complicated game. I think the main difference being that the refs are significantly better to start with, the touch judges are significantly better and the video refs are also significantly better. Technology is only at good as the people using it in this case for me. 

Football has to improve.

As for refereeing, I doubt we get more dodgy decisions than others to be honest. We didn't lose tonight because of the ref, we just lacked that bit of luck/quality in front of goal. We score first, we go on to win. You really get the rub when you're at the bottom.

Rugby is a pretty slow sport though and allows for those breaks without a side losing momentum. You can al wait a couple of minutes in a scrum to see if there was a high tackle or something like that. 

Football is faster paced and hold ups can negatively effect a team who are waiting on a decision whilst attacking. There is also more room for interpretation on a decision which slows a decision.

I think if they want it to work it needs using less and only within ‘should a goal stand’ or when there can be an indefinite stoppage in play. Let red cards be dealt with in retrospective action and let refs have the say on things like penalty decisions imo.