CALLING MEL MORRIS

Cook1988

On 20/01/2022 at 15:59, observer said:

come on everyone on here knows deep down he was/is a fan

yes its gone down the wrong path and lots of mistakes have been made!!

But come on

you dont chuck £200m at your hometown club if you not a fan, all this talk of he wanted the fame baalocks hes a ultra high net worth individual do you really think he was bothered, the only fame he wanted was the adulation of gettting Derby to the prem!

I disagree with the first point.  I agree with the second point. I agree with most of the third point. But overall I just believe that Mel, despite his wealth and the fact he was born locally was simply never the right fit to be the custodian of Derby County.

What has happened to the club can't be undone. I do not believe for one minute Mel intended or wanted it end in dismal failure. He wanted to be the successful local benefactor who delivered the  dream of of establishing the club as a stable fixture in the Premier League. He said that when he told us he had been a fan since 1969 and that his wealth put him in a position to do for Derby what the Coates family had done for Stoke. That was his dream but the reality is that in the end it turned out to be just that - a dream and nothing more. We became a rich man's toy and the toy is now broken.

I do not agree with the fans who wish to insult him and abuse him. Many of those were singing loudly 'He's one of our own' not so long ago. Insults are not going to solve things. Mel has moved on. He will not be proud of what happened. I am sure he is hurting. We are still here and we should leave him alone so we can concentrate on what lies ahead. We Are Derby and it those that remain at the club we should give our full attention to.

My worries about Mel's suitability as the custodian of our club came to the fore in 2015 during the Paul Clement era when in a very short time we spent heavily on Andreas Weimann, Tom Ince, Jason Shackell, Bradley Johnson, Jacob Butterfield, Abdul Camara and Nick Blackman. Chris Baird, Alex Pearce, Scott Carson and Darren Bent also joined for very little in terms of transfer fees but all were on high wages. The wage bill was way too high for a Championship club to remain within the P&S rules. So just a year after Mel's takeover we were on the road to financial ruin and we have been on it ever since until our fall into administration which, little known to the fanbase, had been increasingly inevitable for quite some time.

On top of that, there was no stability whatsoever during Mel's reign with the constant turnover of head coaches. In my time of watching the club, there has been four distinct eras of on-field success; the eras of Brian Clough, Dave Mackay, Arthur Cox and Jim Smith. Those were accompanied, for the most part by support and patience from the board room. For just one season, Peter Gadsby's League of Gentlemen can be added to that list.

On top of that, the contractual settlements for the departing head coaches, Sam Rush and Richard Keogh was enormous. I estimate that cost about £40m. Given that we received about £5m compensation from Stoke and Chelsea when Rowett and Lampard departed, the net cost would be around £35m, which exceeds the amount we now owe to HMRC.

It was a huge gamble which we now know Mel lost heavily. But right up to the point of Cocu's first season, while the financial base of the club was under immense strain, Mel kept feeding us optimistic promises. But for the past two years, the optimism ceased and so did the communication from Mel to the fans. He kept us in the dark. While many of us were worried about what state the club was in, none of us knew the full horrors. Only Mel and Stephen Pearce knew that while they hawked the club to potential buyers. Knowing what we know now, it is small wonder that credible business people steered well clear as we went through the charade and hope that the Emirates consortium and Erik Alonso would save us. It is true that CoVid was the final blow but really it only brought the inevitable forward by a few months.

Mel is about three years younger than me and we went to the same school. The only thing I recall about him from those days is that he had a notorious aversion to sport. One of the biggest challenges for the PE teachers was getting him into the gym and onto the sports fields. He simply didn't want to know. None of his peers can ever remember Mel showing even a remote interest in Derby County during the halcyon days of the 1970s. It is said locally by people who know Mel that he did not attend a Derby game until past the millennium when he first went with another local businessman. The first time he was ever known around the club was when he joined the board as part of Peter Gadsby's League of Gentlemen consortium that rescued the club from the Three Amigos. But even then Mel's voice was never publicly heard.

So it was some surprise to some of us when Mel took over in 2014, announcing himself as a life long fan. He seemed to think that he knew all about the football business and we couldn't understand how but it's now clear he didn't. Other owners at other clubs, particularly some who came from overseas, made exactly the same mistake and they too got their fingers burned badly. Remember Fawaz at Forest and Tony Xia at Villa?

That is why I find hope in the Appleby and Ashley interest in taking over our club. They are businessmen with a track record of also running football clubs. I just hope any future owners of our club take heed of the mistakes of the Mel era. But then again I had the same hopes back in 1984 when Stuart Webb brokered a deal with Robert Maxwell at the last minute in the toilets of the High Court to save us from liquidation.

Time for us all to move on and forgive and forget with hope in our hearts. COYR.

12 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

I disagree with the first point.  I agree with the second point. I agree with most of the third point. But overall I just believe that Mel, despite his wealth and the fact he was born locally was simply never the right fit to be the custodian of Derby County.

What has happened to the club can't be undone. I do not believe for one minute Mel intended or wanted it end in dismal failure. He wanted to be the successful local benefactor who delivered the  dream of of establishing the club as a stable fixture in the Premier League. He said that when he told us he had been a fan since 1969 and that his wealth put him in a position to do for Derby what the Coates family had done for Stoke. That was his dream but the reality is that in the end it turned out to be just that - a dream and nothing more. We became a rich man's toy and the toy is now broken.

I do not agree with the fans who wish to insult him and abuse him. Many of those were singing loudly 'He's one of our own' not so long ago. Insults are not going to solve things. Mel has moved on. He will not be proud of what happened. I am sure he is hurting. We are still here and we should leave him alone so we can concentrate on what lies ahead. We Are Derby and it those that remain at the club we should give our full attention to.

My worries about Mel's suitability as the custodian of our club came to the fore in 2015 during the Paul Clement era when in a very short time we spent heavily on Andreas Weimann, Tom Ince, Jason Shackell, Bradley Johnson, Jacob Butterfield, Abdul Camara and Nick Blackman. Chris Baird, Alex Pearce, Scott Carson and Darren Bent also joined for very little in terms of transfer fees but all were on high wages. The wage bill was way too high for a Championship club to remain within the P&S rules. So just a year after Mel's takeover we were on the road to financial ruin and we have been on it ever since until our fall into administration which, little known to the fanbase, had been increasingly inevitable for quite some time.

On top of that, there was no stability whatsoever during Mel's reign with the constant turnover of head coaches. In my time of watching the club, there has been four distinct eras of on-field success; the eras of Brian Clough, Dave Mackay, Arthur Cox and Jim Smith. Those were accompanied, for the most part by support and patience from the board room. For just one season, Peter Gadsby's League of Gentlemen can be added to that list.

On top of that, the contractual settlements for the departing head coaches, Sam Rush and Richard Keogh was enormous. I estimate that cost about £40m. Given that we received about £5m compensation from Stoke and Chelsea when Rowett and Lampard departed, the net cost would be around £35m, which exceeds the amount we now owe to HMRC.

It was a huge gamble which we now know Mel lost heavily. But right up to the point of Cocu's first season, while the financial base of the club was under immense strain, Mel kept feeding us optimistic promises. But for the past two years, the optimism ceased and so did the communication from Mel to the fans. He kept us in the dark. While many of us were worried about what state the club was in, none of us knew the full horrors. Only Mel and Stephen Pearce knew that while they hawked the club to potential buyers. Knowing what we know now, it is small wonder that credible business people steered well clear as we went through the charade and hope that the Emirates consortium and Erik Alonso would save us. It is true that CoVid was the final blow but really it only brought the inevitable forward by a few months.

Mel is about three years younger than me and we went to the same school. The only thing I recall about him from those days is that he had a notorious aversion to sport. One of the biggest challenges for the PE teachers was getting him into the gym and onto the sports fields. He simply didn't want to know. None of his peers can ever remember Mel showing even a remote interest in Derby County during the halcyon days of the 1970s. It is said locally by people who know Mel that he did not attend a Derby game until past the millennium when he first went with another local businessman. The first time he was ever known around the club was when he joined the board as part of Peter Gadsby's League of Gentlemen consortium that rescued the club from the Three Amigos. But even then Mel's voice was never publicly heard.

So it was some surprise to some of us when Mel took over in 2014, announcing himself as a life long fan. He seemed to think that he knew all about the football business and we couldn't understand how but it's now clear he didn't. Other owners at other clubs, particularly some who came from overseas, made exactly the same mistake and they too got their fingers burned badly. Remember Fawaz at Forest and Tony Xia at Villa?

That is why I find hope in the Appleby and Ashley interest in taking over our club. They are businessmen with a track record of also running football clubs. I just hope any future owners of our club take heed of the mistakes of the Mel era. But then again I had the same hopes back in 1984 when Stuart Webb brokered a deal with Robert Maxwell at the last minute in the toilets of the High Court to save us from liquidation.

Time for us all to move on and forgive and forget with hope in our hearts. COYR.

13dd65aabc9b47860af6f0815e36835eb5bbb3d9a58c079b936216cac2dc64ef_1.jpg.710dd97e2c6db6bfb1b347b7253416b8.jpg

On 20/01/2022 at 18:31, Tyler Durden said:

How do you know he invested 200 mill of his own money 

There are two entries on the Statement of Affairs :

(1)  Share Premium Account : £153,914,144

(2)  Issued & Called-Up Share Capital : £10,337,281

I've assumed that this is money that Morris has (1) loaned to DCFC and (2) injected as equity.

If you add the money that he paid GSE to acquire the club, which I've variously heard as between £50-80M in two tranches, that gets you to c £210-240M

HOWEVER

On the flip side, he's still got the Stadium and Training Ground (?)

Nr (2) he certainly won't get back, nor what he paid for the club originally. From what's been said, he's not looking for anything back on (1) either. 

I'm also assuming that anything he gets for the Stadium gets snaffled by MSD. What I'm not sure of is what happens to the Training Ground?

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

13dd65aabc9b47860af6f0815e36835eb5bbb3d9a58c079b936216cac2dc64ef_1.jpg.710dd97e2c6db6bfb1b347b7253416b8.jpg

Are you in the Joiners Arms again with Richard Keogh? I hope you're not driving home.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Brailsford Ram said:

867-2.gif

On 22/01/2022 at 09:53, Tamworthram said:

I’m not trying to defend Mel for the serious mistakes he’s made (I’ve done that before and since regretted it) but I’m not entirely convinced he’s just walked away. For example, according to the BAWT Twitter extract earlier, the club are not currently being charged any rent for use of the ground. I just hope it’s literally being provided rent free rather than the rent due continuing to accrue with an extortionate rate of interest being applied.

The only way I can see Mel could possibly raise his head again is if he owned up to the mistakes he’d made or allowed to happen under  his stewardship and to be generous to the club, once a new owner is secured, regarding the stadium.

Oh that’s big of him …if he’d run the club right we wouldn’t have to be renting our own ground…the bloke is a disgrace not paying HMRC …what was he thinking ffs

19 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Oh that’s big of him …if he’d run the club right we wouldn’t have to be renting our own ground…the bloke is a disgrace not paying HMRC …what was he thinking ffs

I’m not defending him or excusing his errors. I’m just saying he hasn’t completely walked away (yet).

6 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

His ego was bigger than his love for the club. No real fan would have risked the future of the club.

A real fan will have dozens of football stories, queueing up overnight for tickets, sleeping in train stations, making life long friends, rearranging holidays to fit in with the fixture list, etc etc all in the name of Derby County. The prawn sandwich supporters don’t know what it’s really like to care more about something more than life itself at times.

Mel wasn’t a fanatic he was just a fair weather supporter imo!

2 minutes ago, Gritstone Tup said:

His ego was bigger than his love for the club. No real fan would have risked the future of the club.

A real fan will have dozens of football stories, queueing up overnight for tickets, sleeping in train stations, making life long friends, rearranging holidays to fit in with the fixture list, etc etc all in the name of Derby County. The prawn sandwich supporters don’t know what it’s really like to care more about something more than life itself at times.

Rugby man I believe.

1 minute ago, Gritstone Tup said:

It was his expensive train set that he lost interest in….

I've bit my lip long enough.....

I'm not Interested in MM one bit. He is 100% to blame for all this and clearly doesn't care much for the people of Derby, especially with us being dragged through the mire.

If it were me I would hold up my hands admit I've screwed up and do what I can to put things right before sailing off in to the sunset. If he had no links with Derbyshire you could make excuse for him. The fact he's from Derby makes it downright shameful.

If I had the money I would bail the club out as I know what the club means to the people of Derby. It absolutely breaks me that I could have taken my Grandson to PP for the last time and it is all down to MM

47 minutes ago, Gritstone Tup said:

Phew. I thought you were writing about me then.

41 minutes ago, Gritstone Tup said:

Probably not even a fair weather supporter. He had a massive ego following his windfall from his investment in the King Corporation through the success of Candy Crush. I genuinely believe that he wanted to give something back to the local community. The obvious route was through Derby County. He hadn't made enough to buy Rolls-Royce so the next best thing to gain recognition in the city was to own Derby County. He believed in his own legend. Like many successful businessmen before him he thought the football business was a piece of cake. He learned the hard way that it was its very own unique type of business which brought with it many risky temptations. He was gullible to this and he was wholly tempted. He gambled. He lost. So came about the terminal ending.

It was almost the classic case of a fool and his money are easily parted. Unfortunately he was not a victim alone. The thousands of us who make up the fanbase were victims too. While I think that Mel's ego is hurting greatly, in football terms I don't think his heart is broken as it is for the rest of us because our reasons for being here are akin to being involved in a love affair with a football club while Mel was simply in love with himself.

8 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Probably not even a fair weather supporter. He had a massive ego following his windfall from his investment in the King Corporation through the success of Candy Crush. I genuinely believe that he wanted to give something back to the local community. The obvious route was through Derby County. He hadn't made enough to buy Rolls-Royce so the next best thing to gain recognition in the city was to own Derby County. He believed in his own legend. Like many successful businessmen before him he thought the football business was a piece of cake. He learned the hard way that it was its very own unique type of business which brought with it many risky temptations. He was gullible to this and he was wholly tempted. He gambled. He lost. So came about the terminal ending.

It was almost the classic case of a fool and his money are easily parted. Unfortunately he was not a victim alone. The thousands of us who make up the fanbase were victims too. While I think that Mel's ego is hurting greatly, in football terms I don't think his heart is broken as it is for the rest of us because our reasons for being here are akin to being involved in a love affair with a football club while Mel was simply in love with himself.

Just think, if he'd have put his supposed £200m investment into a separate account, then just drew down £20m a year for 10 years, and added it to the £30m income!

£50m a year to spend, don't try to bend the rules, keep everything on the straight and narrow.

He'd still have a couple of years fun left from his investment, we'd still own our stadium, we wouldn't be the pariah club of the EFL, and we may even have squeaked up to the PL somewhere along the way.  

Instead, he knew best, he knew how football worked, he knew how to invest that money for the best return.

On the first forum meeting, which I was on, he suckered me in with his spiel, I couldn't believe we'd lucked out finding an owner who was minted, a long term fan, and who seemed so reasonable with it, although his reason for sacking Mac1 didn't make too much sense.

Turns out it was all bullshine, looking back. 

If he'd have stuck to just fronting up the cash, and let the football experts run the club, we'd be in a far better place now than we are, but he just couldn't resist sticking his neb in.

Even now, he's hiding away but still pulling the strings, he can't let it go and still feels the need for the final say.

I detest the man with a passion, and will do until my dying day.

He's taken something that didn't belong to him and nearly destroyed it, still might at this time, and walked away leaving a bewildered fanbase and staff to clean up his mess.

On 19/01/2022 at 20:33, CBRammette said:

I am not sticking up for Mel but we really have no idea what he may be doing/offering behind the scenes. He is likely still key to getting a deal through

Well we know he’s written an option on the stadium on terms the admins think acceptable. 
you might say he should do more. But to say he’s blocking a sale is clearly wrong 

8 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Well we know he’s written an option on the stadium on terms the admins think acceptable. 
you might say he should do more. But to say he’s blocking a sale is clearly wrong 

I didnt say he was blocking a sale I was saying he is still key to a sale going through meaning he could oil the wheels even now. My post this evening was to say even if he's not bothered about  anything else - the club, the fans, Derby - perhaps that desire to beat/thwart the EFL and Gibson in us not being liquidated can be achieved by doing the right thing thing with the ground. I generally try and see the best in people and know that not everything is black and white but with this I dont think I will ever understand the man to bring us to this. Its totally beyond me when knowing how this is affecting everyone so much