Rooney and his sidekick OUT NOW

Ramfan1958

57 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

No but it will be a huge help. Much of what's been going wrong in games is down to players not being good enough. You can do what you want on the training ground but on a matchday if players are too slow because of age, too young to have the required knowledge to play at this level, not strong/sharp enough mentally to make the correct split second decision, not technically gifted enough to pick the right pass/control the ball in the right manner etc etc then there's not a lot you can do.

But Rooney also has a lot to learn, starting with now teams know how to play against us - to press from the front, to hit the channels behind pushed-up full backs, to sit back once they've scored knowing we don't have decent firepower - how to regularly combat that or mix up playing style etc. So yes, tactically he is learning and time will tell whether he can improve. 

I agree to a point, but conversely it feels like the more options you give Rooney the more scope he has to make tactical errors by trying to run before he can walk

It's seen as a miracle we've got as many points as we have this season, but there's also an argument as daft as it sounds to say that we might have got fewer points at this stage with a bigger/better squad because of how other clubs have approached games with us.

With our squad the way it is expectations of us from the outside were zero. Some  teams will have thought they could just come and steamroller us, but we've shown them differently. They weren't expecting us to bite back, they weren't prepared for it and it's allowed us to pick up some unexpected results.

As you say though, it's been figured out now and we don't have options to change it, so Rooney needs to be learning very quickly, and I'm concerned that he might not be.

The smaller squad should mean everyone is very focused on their jobs, knows their role to a tee, that we have as much continuity as possible and yet we often still look like strangers. It's like on one hand.... great job, exceeding expectations. On the other we're somehow still over complicating things (wing backs in a back 4) and not making the most of every available player (Stearman's lack of game time).

It leaves me feeling quite conflicted.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

I didn’t think Rooney should have been appointed manager at the beginning and my opinion of him hasn’t changed.

But we have no option but Wayne at the minute,we are in administration and couldn’t pay him off if we wanted to.

End of unless he walked,which he won’t,he has nowhere to go.

20 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I didn’t think Rooney should have been appointed manager at the beginning and my opinion of him hasn’t changed.

But we have no option but Wayne at the minute,we are in administration and couldn’t pay him off if we wanted to.

End of unless he walked,which he won’t,he has nowhere to go.

Lol. Most of the pundits and people at other clubs think he's working wonders (with crap) and pooping miracles! Of course there would be a job at another club.

51 minutes ago, Derbados said:

It’s his fault that Forsyth gave away 3 consecutive corners, fell over and then let his man trot past him to smash it in the near corner?? what’s playing high fullbacks got to do with with Forsyth playing like that? 

Not individual mistakes but opposition managers have got wise to it and we look vulnerable every time they attack…play an extra centre half if you want to play wing backs…

I'm an over reactive idiot that can't control his emotions at times...

But calling for Rooney to be sacked is a bit harsh. I still maintain I wasn't happy how he got the job, i wasn't happy reports in the Daily Mail suggested it had been engineered even before Cocu left and some of the football last year was awful, but..

We stayed up, just and points deduction aside, we are currently a mid to lower championship side.

We are trying to compete in this division with players that some even Burton Albion would think twice about signing.

Cocu had 1 arm tied behind his back. Rooney has both hands and is blindfolded currently.

Tactically he seems to have got it wrong in recent weeks. We were too deep against Blackburn, had no out ball and sibley and jozwiak weren’t at the races.

Sibley is out of position, he’s not getting the best out of jozwiak. He also inexplicably dropped Buchanan who he been very good in the previous two matches. At half time he made two changes and still didn’t really use kazim as an out ball. 

Morrison also played too deep and wasn’t used. Shinnie and Lawrence were lucky not to be sent off and now Rooney is asking for more aggression. It’s confused and it’s directionless.

Last night we went back to being direct, but had no wingers. The players were flat seemingly in both games, meanwhile Lawrence seems completely silent off the pitch and far from a captain. 

I honestly think a bit of tactical nous and support and we’d have scrambled something out of both games. 

We are now in a similar situation to exactly the same time last season, Rooney seems clueless as to how to shake the team out of a poor run of form.

For me, though Rooney needs support. When cocu left he took two other coaches with him, they’ve not been replaced and we have sadly lost Shane nicholson. A bit more intelligence supporting Rooney and maybe a couple of different ideas in the coaching room. That’s what I think he needs. Sadly he won’t get it and we will continue to struggle and see some strange team selections and tactics.

Oh well.

6 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I mean, Rooney is clearly still a work in progress as manager but to demand he be sacked given our current situation is absolutely mental. The club is unstable enough as it is without firing the manager who, lets be honest, doesn't need us as much as we need him right now.

Suppose we sack Rooney, what then? Who do we get in given the fact that we have no money to spend, no owner, a squad where some of the first 11 have contracts running out in Jan (with the possibility that we will be unable to resign or replace them) and everything is generally on fire?

Nobody good is walking in to this mess. Be realistic.

We weren't able to renew Given's contract due to the embargo. That suggests that it extends to footballing staff. It's possible we might not actually be allowed to bring in a new manager.  I really think that if Rooney went, it would be a straight choice between Rosenior and Wassall. 

4 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

We weren't able to renew Given's contract due to the embargo. That suggests that it extends to footballing staff. It's possible we might not actually be allowed to bring in a new manager.  I really think that if Rooney went, it would be a straight choice between Rosenior and Wassall. 

Mac?

Just play a solid 4231 every game be hard to beat don’t always play out from the back.

Tell CKR to stay up front in the centre of the pitch so we have a long ball option to beat teams that play high press. 

We simply do not have the players to play any other formation because most of the first teams squad are not mobile enough or have the energy to last 90 mins.

36 minutes ago, cstand said:

Just play a solid 4231 every game be hard to beat don’t always play out from the back.

Tell CKR to stay up front in the centre of the pitch so we have a long ball option to beat teams that play high press. 

We simply do not have the players to play any other formation because most of the first teams squad are not mobile enough or have the energy to last 90 mins.

I would go 3 5 2

17 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Rooney is the main attraction for potential new owners. They've heard of him.

The administrators said as much right at the beginning of this nightmare. We are where we are and have what we have. 2 rank bad performances do leave us all down hearted but falling out about the manager and layers will get us nowhere. Keeping behind them might work. Last night the travelling support would score 20 out of 10 and poor as we were lifted the team and picked them up on the last 10 minutes, hit the woodwork again but could not get the second. Had either of them gone in this conversation would not be happening

2 hours ago, cstand said:

we currently don't have enough wingers to play a proper 4-2-3-1 though. We end up shoehorning Knight and Sibley into those positions, and Lawrence isn't a winger either. 

3-4-3 or 3-5-2 actually suits our players much better as wingers are not required. 

4-2-3-1 is also less solid than the 3-4-3/3-5-2. Just look at Man Utd as a perfect example of this.

1 minute ago, Chris_Martin said:

3-4-3 or 3-5-2 actually suits our players much better as wingers are not required. 

Just on playing two up front.... We've hardly tried it so I was looking forward to seeing both Kazim-Richards and Baldock together last night.

But the ball wouldn't stick.

Said on the matchday thread, they were like a couple of pinball bumpers.