Rooney and his sidekick OUT NOW

Ramfan1958

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Not entirely sure he's that great a manager to be honest. When you look at the squad he had at his disposal, scraping through the play-offs was probably sub-par. He did seem to start well in the Prem but with Grealish gone, he's seemed rather short of ideas both in the transfer market and on the pitch. #

Obviously he has a massive experience edge, but if we were to sack Rooney it'd cost the club a fortune and I'm not convinced that Derby would be the kind of 'project' Smith would be looking for now. I think Wayne is doing OK all things considered and probably the only option right now in any case.

Yes, since we can't afford to sack Rooney he certainly is the only option. It's a very unique situation really. The club gave the managers job to an unqualified novice and he soon found himself to be trying to learn 'on the job' in extreme circumstances. If Wayne can keep the players motivated for the remainder of the season it might at least save some further humiliation, with relegation being inevitable. I don't imagine Rooney will fancy L1, and would probably leave amicably at that point. That's when the nitty gritty of rebuilding the club will start, hopefully with sensible new ownership in place. 

10 minutes ago, europia said:

Yes, since we can't afford to sack Rooney he certainly is the only option. It's a very unique situation really. The club gave the managers job to an unqualified novice and he soon found himself to be trying to learn 'on the job' in extreme circumstances. If Wayne can keep the players motivated for the remainder of the season it might at least save some further humiliation, with relegation being inevitable. I don't imagine Rooney will fancy L1, and would probably leave amicably at that point. That's when the nitty gritty of rebuilding the club will start, hopefully with sensible new ownership in place. 

Agree, not sure what Macca is laughing at…..fair summary of where we stand currently ?

13 hours ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Find it hard to criticise Rooney too much this season. Last season felt different. Derby have fewer options this season, even less competition for places than before, no possibility of buying players and the deduction. 
Apart from a few games recently, Derby have been a tougher team to beat and had a solid defence. Just still the same attacking problems which isn’t down to coaching or management- it’s lack of options - injuries Depth/ lack of quality. 
Can’t believe he’s still here to be honest. He doesn’t need the money. He’s fighting and his conduct has been great. If Derby had a goal scorer and a few more players to add depth, the table would be looking different. 

Rooney is still with us partly because he feels a debt to us for giving him a chance.

However, it will mainly be because if he manages to keeps us in the league with all the horse poo he has had to deal with then his reputation as a manager increases dramatically.

This then opens up bigger and better jobs to him.

Yes, this is cynical and the rest of our fans will not like it but it is my opinion. He has already come out of it looking like a saint.

1 hour ago, Warwick Ram said:

Rooney is still with us partly because he feels a debt to us for giving him a chance.

However, it will mainly be because if he manages to keeps us in the league with all the horse poo he has had to deal with then his reputation as a manager increases dramatically.

This then opens up bigger and better jobs to him.

Yes, this is cynical and the rest of our fans will not like it but it is my opinion. He has already come out of it looking like a saint.

i think the real reason is that nobody is going to offer him a better job. When it comes down to it, he hasn't actually achieved anything in management. 

The constant in all of this is the custodian of the club having a recent penchant for recruiting managers with zero Championship experience and in a lot of these cases zero managerial experience to boot - Clement, Cocu, Lampard, Rooney. 

Guess his warped logic if he had any was that I recruited "experienced" managers whom failed so why not try it this way now. 

12 hours ago, Crewton said:

The title of this thread is embarrassing. The poster who started it has disappeared. Can it be closed and consigned to the archives? 

Why should it be closed?

There is still ongoing discussion.

Even if we all agreed the title is somehow embarrassing, surely it's only embarrassing for the person who actually wrote it.

12 hours ago, Crewton said:

The title of this thread is embarrassing. The poster who started it has disappeared. Can it be closed and consigned to the archives? 

The prize for the most embarrassing thread surely must be the one started a couple of months ago entitled the fans are to blame for the club being in the current predicament.

Think that was shutdown by the mods after a couple of hours after it and the originator were subjected to widespread derision and ridicule. 

1 hour ago, Chris_Martin said:

he'd be lucky to get that?

Don’t know about that. If he worked at another club with deeper squad and transfer budget he would probably be given a chance. He’s already proved he will stick with his players and work through difficult times. The current squad has limited quality and is very thin, don’t know many more managers would get much more out of the team. Also, the team is getting draws and narrow defeats. Not as if they’re getting thrashed every week.

6 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Don’t know about that. If he worked at another club with deeper squad and transfer budget he would probably be given a chance. He’s already proved he will stick with his players and work through difficult times. The current squad has limited quality and is very thin, don’t know many more managers would get much more out of the team. Also, the team is getting draws and narrow defeats. Not as if they’re getting thrashed every week.

yep, but if you look on paper all he has achieved is avoiding relegation last season thanks to other results going our way. I seriously doubt other clubs would be willing to take a chance on him based on that. If they do, it'll be due to his name not ability