Rooney and his sidekick OUT NOW

Ramfan1958

5 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Is there any context that means a 14% win rate over the equivalent of 2/3rds of a season is an acceptable performance though? I think that's a reasonable question to ask. 

This is no time to sack. Rooney is a top manager. We’ll get through this. If you can keep your head when all around are losing there’s and blaming it on you…

Just now, Ellafella said:

This is no time to sack. Rooney is a top manager. We’ll get through this. If you can keep your head when all around are losing there’s and blaming it on you…

I did write an earlier post saying that we obviously can't get rid of him. If it was up to me I'd have fired him 1 minute after the sheffield wednesday game but it's now clear that we didn't have the resources to do so even if Morris did want him gone. He was a top player but he's not offered one iota of evidence to suggest he's a top manager. 

8 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Is there any context that means a 14% win rate over the equivalent of 2/3rds of a season is an acceptable performance though? I think that's a reasonable question to ask. 

It is a reasonable question. Personally, the way I view it is that Rooney took over a team that was in crisis last season, and stumbled his way to the end of the season. It wasn't great, and it was pretty fortunate. But we did get there.

This season I think we've been ok. With the intangibles such as the impact of the club going into administration, us training with players we had no idea if we could sign, and the large points deduction, I think the results have been acceptable. In certain matches we've looked good. Certainly at times we've not had the rub of the green this season so far. 

1 minute ago, Leeds Ram said:

I did write an earlier post saying that we obviously can't get rid of him. If it was up to me I'd have fired him 1 minute after the sheffield wednesday game but it's now clear that we didn't have the resources to do so even if Morris did want him gone. He was a top player but he's not offered one iota of evidence to suggest he's a top manager. 

Ok I understand the sentiment and many will agree with you. That said, I’m convinced by Rooney and I’m rarely wrong…I know sounds arrogant but we need to stick…things will turn quite soon. Facebook me, screenshot me, tik-Tok me, Twatter me; We’ve deflated last 3 games …but we’ll rise again. Trust me.

11 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Barnsley won without trying.

How does that suggest tonight was a good performance?

Even Rooney himself described it as ‘a disappointing performance’ and ‘not good enough’.

Sorry that I couldn’t be there tonight. Small issue of a 600-mile round trip and having work in the morning.

But if you saw something in the performance to give you hope, fair play to you.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

It is a reasonable question. Personally, the way I view it is that Rooney took over a team that was in crisis last season, and stumbled his way to the end of the season. It wasn't great, and it was pretty fortunate. But we did get there.

This season I think we've been ok. With the intangibles such as the impact of the club going into administration, us training with players we had no idea if we could sign, and the large points deduction, I think the results have been acceptable. In certain matches we've looked good. Certainly at times we've not had the rub of the green this season so far. 

I think that's probably the most reasonable 'pro rooney' stance I've seen for a long time tbh. I'd say last season for me at least the dire run for the back 1/3rd of the season should have meant the sack and rightfully so. It's now reasonable I think to argue he was largely spared because we couldn't afford to get rid of him. I still think it's less that we secured our own survival than other clubs failed to take advantage of our failures on the pitch. 

This season I'd tend to agree with you for the most part. He's performing about where I'd expect us to be but he's not worked the miracle we needed to get out of the hole and i don't think he will either. The recent tinkering also makes me a tad nervous that he's moving back towards his 'old ways' of shifting too much too quickly leading to disjointed and confused performances. It's hard to see where the next win is going to come from really too. 

I still think he should have won more games during his tenure than he has and I think it was a terrible decision to appoint him in the first place. Obviously it'll be up to the new owner to decide what to do and Rooney has rightly built a lot of goodwill from fans for his actions during the administration including from myself. 

8 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Ok I understand the sentiment and many will agree with you. That said, I’m convinced by Rooney and I’m rarely wrong…I know sounds arrogant but we need to stick…things will turn quite soon. Facebook me, screenshot me, tik-Tok me, Twatter me; We’ve deflated last 3 games …but we’ll rise again. Trust me.

'you're rarely wrong' it doesn't sound arrogant it just is arrogant tbh. I'm not sure how things are going to turn 'quite soon' given the threadbare nature of the squad and the fact even before now we were hardly picking up points at a massive pace. I'm not blaming Rooney for this specific situation but I don't think he'll make a top manager either for us. 

1 minute ago, Leeds Ram said:

I think that's probably the most reasonable 'pro rooney' stance I've seen for a long time tbh. I'd say last season for me at least the dire run for the back 1/3rd of the season should have meant the sack and rightfully so. It's now reasonable I think to argue he was largely spared because we couldn't afford to get rid of him. I still think it's less that we secured our own survival than other clubs failed to take advantage of our failures on the pitch. 

This season I'd tend to agree with you for the most part. He's performing about where I'd expect us to be but he's not worked the miracle we needed to get out of the hole and i don't think he will either. The recent tinkering also makes me a tad nervous that he's moving back towards his 'old ways' of shifting too much too quickly leading to disjointed and confused performances. It's hard to see where the next win is going to come from really too. 

I still think he should have won more games during his tenure than he has and I think it was a terrible decision to appoint him in the first place. Obviously it'll be up to the new owner to decide what to do and Rooney has rightly built a lot of goodwill from fans for his actions during the administration including from myself. 

I also would have seen him sacked on the back of last season. I thought we were pretty shocking at times, and as you rightly say, it was down to financial reasons that he survived. No arguments from me there.

This season, I feel that the overall level of performance in games has been respectable. We've not been getting blown away by any opposition, and if we'd had a bit more luck some of these draws would have turned into wins. I don't think he will perform the miracle to get us out of the hole either, but I don't think anyone within our budget and with our squad could either. 

I feel now this season is somewhat of a free hit. It definitely doesn't seem worthwhile to sack Rooney and cost us even more of a financial hit for another manager who likely won't dig us out of this hole. I think we have to face up to the situation we find ourselves, I firmly believe that other managers wouldn't be getting more out of this squad, because it doesn't have that much to give. 

36 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I am losing the will to live, what point are you trying to make? Rooney is a novice learning his trade as a Manager, making a lot of mistakes and errors as he goes. I would have gone for Paul Cook. He is now doing well at Ipswich and has done pretty well wherever he has been, even with little money to spend. But it’s conjecture, he might have done worse, he might have done better, who knows. Not worth even discussing. We can actually judge Wazza on his record, 13 wins in 54, 4 wins in 32 or 3 wins in 16, whichever fact you prefer, take your pick. In my view Managers need to earn the right to manage our great football club, Wazza (and Lampard, I felt the same when he was appointed) haven’t earned that right yet. Get your badges, get your experience in the lower leagues, prove yourself as a Manager and then look at becoming Rams boss. I am off to bed. 

Hey up Jimbo, probably wouldnt have said that 3 weeks ago, Ipswich were bottom 6 with the biggest budget in the division & their fans were after Cook's head. Even now, they're miles off top 2 (see below), last couple of good results are flattering their start.

As for results/win rate, compare Steve McClaren with Jim Smith..54% v 36% respectively. Who was the better manager? Or to go onto a home topic, is Brendan Rodgers the best manager in the world because his SPL record was 70% ?

Last sentence bit mischievous obvs but you see the point...its context, not pure stats from which you can judge ?

20211104_002145.thumb.jpg.50ac9a7f464513e52f99eef3a9da959f.jpg

Edited by LeedsCityRam

38 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

My original point was questioning why he didn’t shake up scouting and recruitment upon getting the job permanently...

The question is, is he in the position to rehash the recruitment/scouting team due to monies etc. He may have put this to Mel and the CEO and was told NO (we've got no money). I'm sure Rooney Knows like the rest of us, if we had an out and out striker we would be a better team. Lets hope a new owner and January will be good for us

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

I also would have seen him sacked on the back of last season. I thought we were pretty shocking at times, and as you rightly say, it was down to financial reasons that he survived. No arguments from me there.

This season, I feel that the overall level of performance in games has been respectable. We've not been getting blown away by any opposition, and if we'd had a bit more luck some of these draws would have turned into wins. I don't think he will perform the miracle to get us out of the hole either, but I don't think anyone within our budget and with our squad could either. 

I feel now this season is somewhat of a free hit. It definitely doesn't seem worthwhile to sack Rooney and cost us even more of a financial hit for another manager who likely won't dig us out of this hole. I think we have to face up to the situation we find ourselves, I firmly believe that other managers wouldn't be getting more out of this squad, because it doesn't have that much to give. 

Yeah, I think it's hard to envisage outside of football manager what could be done to try and secure our survival. It would be interesting to see if anyone has a useful hypothetical but I'd generally agree I think that the deduction along with the threadbare squad makes relegation almost an inevitability. I do feel our best results would naturally come earlier on when the small squad would be under less pressure from fatigue, injuries, suspensions etc. and that this could get much uglier around Christmas and January time. 

No, we can't sack him and he should at least stay until the end of the season as you say it's pointless sacking him now and wasting money for a hope of survival that's unlikely to come to fruition. I'd imagine he'd want to be rid of us by then at that point anyway instead of hanging around in the third division. 

3 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I do feel our best results would naturally come earlier on when the small squad would be under less pressure from fatigue, injuries, suspensions etc. and that this could get much uglier around Christmas and January time. 

That is a fair viewpoint, largely agree with that. Though it's worth noting the impact of Bielik's return could be pretty big, as was evidenced last season. 

5 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

The question is, is he in the position to rehash the recruitment/scouting team due to monies etc. He may have put this to Mel and the CEO and was told NO (we've got no money). I'm sure Rooney Knows like the rest of us, if we had an out and out striker we would be a better team. Lets hope a new owner and January will be good for us

That’s the point.

Will a new owner make a difference? Will January make a difference?

Not much will change if you have the same people in the same roles, not being held to account.

Having money to spend won’t help us if the scouting and recruitment set up is still porous.

3 hours ago, Ramfan1958 said:

Get rid of the pair of them its our only Chance .

And how do you propose to achieve this when they are under contract to a club which is in administration? Do you have the odd 4 or 5 million down the arm of the chair?

22 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

That’s the point.

Will a new owner make a difference? Will January make a difference?

Not much will change if you have the same people in the same roles, not being held to account.

Having money to spend won’t help us if the scouting and recruitment set up is still porous.

Wait and see, like the rest of us.

Gonna say something that’s potentially going to be disagreed with by most but eh, the world would be a boring place if we all agreed with each other!

Wayne Rooney is a poor manager.

Nice man, yeah, but I can’t help but feel like us fans have really relaxed our opinions on him, based solely on the fact he’s been loyal to us throughout the situation we’re in.

Last season we was a genuine embarrassment, we was a joke, and we deserved to go down. We had no identity, no tactics, just vibes and hope that the rest of the teams around us were equally as poo as we was.

This season we started off a bit better but now seem to have gone backwards. Back to playing with no identity, players looking confused, communication shot… Just like last season.

Rooney and Rosenior don’t have a clue. I have the upmost respect for them to wanting to be loyal to the club but if we are bought out, I’d hope that then we’d be able to get a change of staff.