Rooney and his sidekick OUT NOW

Ramfan1958

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah, I meant it wasn't that we didn't scout him. ?

scouting is pointless if you don't actually sign the hidden gems so its flawed somewhere....I'm not saying scouts always get it right because its still a gamble but lets not suggest we've got it right because we haven't....especially our foreign scouting ....all I'm saying Roy is that it needs looking at the whole system from scouting to signings etc it needs to be better especially in financial climate we find ourselves in 

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

scouting is pointless if you don't actually sign the hidden gems so its flawed somewhere....I'm not saying scouts always get it right because its still a gamble but lets not suggest we've got it right because we haven't....especially our foreign scouting ....all I'm saying Roy is that it needs looking at the whole system from scouting to signings etc it needs to be better especially in financial climate we find ourselves in 

I agree, but my point also was you can scout all you like but if the manager prefers Blackman and Anya what can you do?! ?

I think the biggest issue was we didn't appear to do the intelligent scouting that other clubs were..like overseas and lower leagues in England..we seemed to pick players at the peak price after they had just finished that breakout season..

Edited by Yani P

5 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

If you want to carry things on, game on. Nothing to do with emotion just astounded by your arrogance.  I was happy to save you further embarrassment. I rarely lose an argument so we must be two peas in a pod ? Anyway, for starters having said you are rarely wrong, do you stand by your comment that we played well v Barnsley ? Wazza wasn’t very impressed. Stand by your comment or were you just wrong for once ?

I stand by it. We lost. Lots of disappointment & I could see WR was fuming as he left the pitch. Were you at the game or ensconced in your armchair? 

24 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I stand by it. We lost. Lots of disappointment & I could see WR was fuming as he left the pitch. Were you at the game or ensconced in your armchair? 

What’s me not being at the game got to do with you making an ar*se of yourself ? I saw the game and we were dire as Wazza acknowledged. God only knows what game you were watching ?

3 hours ago, S8TY said:

yes rumours were that we were interested but not enough to buy him ....our scouting is poor judged not just by Watkins ....that was an example of where / why we didn't go for him?? if he was on our radar then why didn't we get him ? i heard was over a 3m fee....but Brentford payed it.so we didn't rate him that much yet pay 4.5m for dross like Anya who was supposedly proven at watford and scotland so somewhere alomg the line its falling down hence the overhaul/ rethink is necessary IMO ..who was the last player we signed by being scouted that went onto bigger things and earnt us money ? we seem to be able to spot talent at an early age Bird,Knight,Buchanan etc but fall short in other areas and it needs sorting

in Nigels days there are plenty of good examples Martin,Russell,Bryson,Brayford,Barker to name a few ....

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/ollie-watkins-Derby-county-brentford-4314511

Exeter moved the goalposts at the last minute after DCFC had agreed a £1.8M fee - they upped their demand to £3M I believe, presumably because they thought "it's Derby, they'll pay it". DCFC, understandably, told them to swivvel. Brentford came in for him that summer and he signed for the £1.8M fee we'd agreed originally. Why didn't we go back for him? Maybe we didn't want to go through the same rubbish with Exeter again. If we'd paid Exeter what they'd wanted and he'd turned out to be rubbish, fans would have been rightly critical about the club caving in.

Just now, Crewton said:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/ollie-watkins-Derby-county-brentford-4314511

Exeter moved the goalposts at the last minute after DCFC had agreed a £1.8M fee - they upped their demand to £3M I believe, presumably because they thought "it's Derby, they'll pay it". DCFC, understandably, told them to swivvel. Brentford came in for him that summer and he signed for the £1.8M fee we'd agreed originally. Why didn't we go back for him? Maybe we didn't want to go through the same rubbish with Exeter again. If we'd paid Exeter what they'd wanted and he'd turned out to be rubbish, fans would have been rightly critical about the club caving in.

Thanks, Crewton, thought I had got that about right.

48 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

What’s me not being at the game got to do with you making an ar*se of yourself ? I saw the game and we were dire as Wazza acknowledged. God only knows what game you were watching ?

I was watching the one with the Blackburn/Fulham commentary ........no wonder there's confusion !!

3 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

I was watching the one with the Blackburn/Fulham commentary ........no wonder there's confusion !!

Same here ? Had to turn the sound down. Then at HT switched channels and all was hunky dory. Did you think we played well v Baaarnsley ?

9 hours ago, Crewton said:

Disagree …he was worth 3m as has proved there’s always going to be differences in values and opinion 

It’s neither here nor there that Brentford got him for 1.8m

the price when we wanted him was 3m and we either pay it or not and we didn’t but looking at where he is now that wasn’t a wise choice 

what’s amuses me here is we paid daft money for Anya at 4.5m yet didn’t think Watkins was worth 3m it’s all well and good sticking to principles as price went up for him but an extra 1.2m is not a lot compared to how much we’ve wasted on dross in the past 

4 hours ago, S8TY said:

Disagree …he was worth 3m as has proved there’s always going to be differences in values and opinion 

It’s neither here nor there that Brentford got him for 1.8m

the price when we wanted him was 3m and we either pay it or not and we didn’t but looking at where he is now that wasn’t a wise choice 

what’s amuses me here is we paid daft money for Anya at 4.5m yet didn’t think Watkins was worth 3m it’s all well and good sticking to principles as price went up for him but an extra 1.2m is not a lot compared to how much we’ve wasted on dross in the past 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it? But (analogy warning) if you were buying a house at an agreed price and the vendor upped the asking price by 66% the day before contracts were due to be exchanged, would you still go through with it? Maybe you would, but my answer, purely on a point of principle, would end in "off" and no matter how much I loved the house, I'd start looking at different properties even if that house came back on the market at the original price 6 months later. 

BTW, we bought Vydra and Anya earlier that season, and that might well have either influenced the decision not to give in to Exeter's demand or even restricted our ability to stump up another £1.2m. The "Just pay it" approach has allot to answer for at this club and it's bizarre to see fans saying that we should actually have spent more just because a player turned out to be a great signing by another club. 

3 hours ago, Crewton said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it? But (analogy warning) if you were buying a house at an agreed price and the vendor upped the asking price by 66% the day before contracts were due to be exchanged, would you still go through with it? Maybe you would, but my answer, purely on a point of principle, would end in "off" and no matter how much I loved the house, I'd start looking at different properties even if that house came back on the market at the original price 6 months later. 

BTW, we bought Vydra and Anya earlier that season, and that might well have either influenced the decision not to give in to Exeter's demand or even restricted our ability to stump up another £1.2m. The "Just pay it" approach has allot to answer for at this club and it's bizarre to see fans saying that we should actually have spent more just because a player turned out to be a great signing by another club. 

I’m not saying just pay it ..what I’m saying is I always have a value in my head if what I would pay …if I’d agreed a price and someone changes there mind and it was more than I valued it at I’d walk away …if I and here’s the point I’m trying to make  if DCFC thought he’s worth that then pay it he was worth 3m and yes hindsight and all that but when you see a player you’ve scouted if you like him enough and beleive in your scouting team you either pay what they want or you don’t …we didn’t and in hindsight was a poor decision …no one can blame a team like Exeter of thinking it’s Derby maybe we can get more money and I don’t mean having our pants pulled down …if it was silly money then fair enough but in the grand scheme of things an extra 1.2m was the sort of fee we wasted on the winger from France who was rubbish so maybe there lies the problem the club didn’t have enough belief in our scouting network 

Edited by S8TY

3 hours ago, Crewton said:

Also Crewton another point is this …if Exeter were so money driven they would’ve come to us later knowing we were interested at 1.8m and said Brentford were willing to pay that fee…maybe good old principles then got in the way of us offering say 2m or 2.2 to get a deal done because they had upped the price previously who knows …negotiating deals especially on unknown quantities is difficult no doubt