Andre Wisdom

IslandExile

Seems to have fallen off the planet with no mention (unless I've missed it).

I think he should be on the underrated list in that other topic. OK, he's been guilt at times of losing concentration and costing us a goal. Nevertheless, he's been a great servant of the club over his two spells. If, as seems to be the case, his contract is not being renewed, the club should - at the very least - thank him for his service and wish him well for the future.

(Q: is he on any of the recent training photos?)

2 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I think he should be on the underrated list in that other topic. OK, he's been guilt at times of losing concentration and costing us a goal. Nevertheless, he's been a great servant of the club over his two spells. If, as seems to be the case, his contract is not being renewed, the club should - at the very least - thank him for his service and wish him well for the future.

Was in some early training pics, then was reported as having an illness a couple of weeks ago around the time we were signing Baldock and Jagielka.

49 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Perhaps they have thanked him

I think he's probably one of the players that Rooney still wants to sign, given he was training with us. It's also probably the reason why the club aren't saying anything, we want him here but it's not possible at the minute. He is obviously free to join another club, but I've heard nothing. 

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

Agree he should be thanked but thank the lord he is not in the picture everytime he went near the ball i had palpitations,dodged a bullet for sure 

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

Jagielka > Stearman > Wisdom

Thank you for fulfilling your contract Wiz. A solid Championship full back, but never a centre back.

I think there is an argument to be made that Wisdom would be more useful to us right now than Stearman. We really could do with a centre back option with a bit of pace and he's more comfortable on the ball than Stearman. 

6 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I think there is an argument to be made that Wisdom would be more useful to us right now than Stearman. We really could do with a centre back option with a bit of pace and he's more comfortable on the ball than Stearman. 

Hmm I like centre backs who can judge a flighted ball. I'd like more pace at CB but not in the form of Wisdom. Played a part in more goals given away than any other defender I can remember. 

13 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Any crossfield ball above head height left him like a rabbit in the headlights. Good enough on the ground but he never convinced me at all that he could properly track the flight of a ball. 

I wouldn't call him a 'great' servant. His first spell had good moments as an occasional marauding right back. We spent £4m on him plus good wages and he did ok but prone to errors and not being switched on all the time. Most important thing was away goal at Wycombe, so thanks for that Wiz. 

Edited by oomarkwright

43 minutes ago, sage said:

Hmm I like centre backs who can judge a flighted ball. I'd like more pace at CB but not in the form of Wisdom. Played a part in more goals given away than any other defender I can remember. 

43 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Stearman can head the ball.

36 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Any crossfield ball above head height left him like a rabbit in the headlights. Good enough on the ground but he never convinced me at all that he could properly track the flight of a ball. 

I get all the criticisms of him and I don't disagree under normal circumstances. I'm not saying I'd want to start him, I'm not even saying that in a ideal world I'd want to sign him. If we'd have got Mengi over the line for example I doubt there would have been an argument for him but personally I think if he was fit and willing to sign in our current heavily restricted structure he'd be a useful option. There will likely come a point in the season when Jagielka and Davies get horribly exposed for pace which is a problem that Wisdom would have helped with but Stearman won't and we haven't realistically got an alternative available.

It's all likely irrelvant anyway because we probably can't sign him even if we wanted to.

Was very much against re-signing him when we did. I would say his return to Derby has been a failure and he's a very overrated player. Rooney talked him up a lot towards the end of last season, so I'm surprised he wasn't re-contracted, but that may well be Andre's choice, especially given the wages supposedly available. Or it may be Rooney saw it as the way too try too get the best out of him at that time. It is noticeable that he hasn't been snapped up elsewhere. Maybe he'll yet go to Ipswich?

If he did sign again it wouldn't surprise me if Rooney tried to convert him to a powerhouse forward instead, a big powerful guy to hold the ball up and link play. He's not a good defender but maybe that role would suit him better?