Derek Eley has died Derby County have announced. Derby’s and Country’s oldest fan

Curtains

15 minutes ago, r_wilcockson said:

My Grandfather Derek won't be too far behind now. 96 and still has a season ticket. 

Does he remember when his first game was?

Blows my mind folk being around who potentially watched us in the 1930's. Think we've got a few posters on here who watched us in the 50's - seem to remember @archramsaid her first game was 1951

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Does he remember when his first game was?

Blows my mind folk being around who potentially watched us in the 1930's. Think we've got a few posters on here who watched us in the 50's - seem to remember @archramsaid her first game was 1951

Knowing Derek all my life he will continue supporting the Rams from where ever he is now a true gentleman 

RIP Derek 

• 1 month later...

image.thumb.png.2f5a3ecb4aae3978ca9e98ed5340686c.png

This is awesome. Season ticket holder for Valencia got a statue after he died. If we had 2p to rub together, we should do something similar for Derek. Thinking about it, we have statues and busts to our hero players and managers, but it’s a great idea to have a statue to an ordinary, dedicated fan, to remind the players what it’s really all about. 

35 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

image.thumb.png.2f5a3ecb4aae3978ca9e98ed5340686c.png

This is awesome. Season ticket holder for Valencia got a statue after he died. If we had 2p to rub together, we should do something similar for Derek. Thinking about it, we have statues and busts to our hero players and managers, but it’s a great idea to have a statue to an ordinary, dedicated fan, to remind the players what it’s really all about. 

Excellent idea and I’d definitely contribute

28 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Excellent idea and I’d definitely contribute

That’s the sole limit of my organisational abilities though. I’m very much an ideas man. I’d happily contribute, but I have a feeling the club probably has other priorities at the minute unfortunately. Could they even put a statue in the stands if we don’t actually own the stands? Might as well be a statue of some Rod Stewart super fan if the stadium is destined to not be the home of the Rams, but the home of the Rams and any other passing tenants that want to trample on the grass. 

Edited by TigerTedd
Apologies for putting a real downer on my own bit of positivity. Happy thoughts, happy thoughts. Chin up lads. Don’t let the buggers see you cry.

I moved to Wales in 2012 and I joined a class to learn the lingo. I mentioned my support for our great club, as I often do, and it turned out that one of my fellow classmates was married to Derek's niece. It was always good to get updates on Derek and stories of his times following Derby. I had hoped to meet him at some point but, unfortunately, Covid restrictions put an end to that. I do like to think that I shared a few terraces with him during the eighties, though. 

A war hero, Derby County legend and a true gentleman.

We will forever be in debt to Derek and his generation for the freedoms we all take for granted today.

It would be an honour to contribute to a tribute in his memory.

RIP Derek. UTR.