Please sack them NOW

Archied

2 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

That sounds a bit more promising Angie. I think it was Cocus first season where we consistently dropped deeper after about 60 to 70 mins and stopped pressing which at the time was thought to be fitness rather than tactical. 

No if anything we look more attacking as the game goes on. Too cautious in the first half of games so far!

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I understand the point you're making, but I'm struggling to see in any way how Rooney's management in any way can result in Forsyth choosing to duck out of a header or Byrne choosing to give his man so much space

...because his tactics and team selections lead to us scoring fewer goals than we should which places an inordinate amount of pressure on us not to concede; the more pressure we're under the more likely we are to make mistakes, pressure which often seems compounded by his game management.

Of course you could argue that we are scoring exactly as many goals as we should given our current squad, and that last season's low goals tally was purely down to individual players not performing (I'd half agree). As you say though, new season, new start.

Moving Morrison out wide accommodate Lawrence at no. 10 isn't the sort of decision that makes me feel confident he's going to get the most out of what limited options he has available. Maybe he'll learn from that, maybe he won't.

If we want to finish mid table this season we need more draws (or preferably more wins!), to get more draws we're going to need to score more goals because we've seen time and again that we're incapable of holding onto 1-0s. To score more goals we're going to need to be more open, which risks us taking a few hammerings and having a terrible GD, but points on the board are surely more important?

Whether we lose a match 4-0, or we lose a match 2-1 in injury time the points on board are the same. If we throw away a 2 goal lead in injury time we still pick up a point. If we continue only scoring 1 goal in matches (which is the likely outcome if we keep being so cautious in the first half of games) we're probably going to continue walking away with 0 points.

Albeit in exceptional circumstances, look at the Sheff Weds game on the final day of last season. We were forced to attack at the cost of defending and we conceded 3, but the way we set up allowed the much maligned Waghorn to have starring role, allowed Patrick Roberts to finally show what he's all about after months of nothing, and we had the 'fraud' Jozwiak winning the penalty that (kind of) kept us up.

If we'd have approached that game the way we approached many others we'd not have scored those 3 goals, but in all likelihood we would still have conceded 2 or 3, and we'd have been relegated.

Edited by Coconut

21 minutes ago, angieram said:

I didn't notice this on Saturday, apart from CKR, who always looks knackered but then does his job surprisingly well. Ebosele was taken off because he wasn't making a positive impact on the game - wrong position for him, he's a wing back/fullback. Didn't look tired.

Morrison was maybe flagging a bit, but he was managing it himself and we all know what happened when he did come off.

On Tuesday I thought Watson, Hutchinson looked shattered but I think that was more about the occasion. Thought R+R used the substitutes well on that night. 

Jozwiak definitely tired first game but he was behind the others in terms of minutes. Looked much better fitness wise against Salford.

Fozzy - we know he can't play twice a week. Has had to play Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday. It showed.

On the tele they looked pretty much out of energy from 75-80 minutes I thought. 

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

I mean, bless ya for thinking we’ve got a championship squad.

Almost all of our starting 11 have been playing in the Championship the last two seasons at least. The problem is the squad depth.

Our squad is bad but not as bad as some on here are saying. It's certainly better than 1 win in 20.

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

linking Marshall to Wigan really.  I don't think there are many conclusions to be drawn from the performances to criticise or support WR but really, it can't be much fun for any of them.  By the time WR took over Leeds were so far ahead of us after bashing us at home under Cocu.  We will never know but even the great Bielsa would have a job making a silk purse out of the current squad.

This ludicrous position lies in the hands of one man and it isn't WR

I honestly think Bielsa could get this lot mid table at least. 

Yes this lies in Mel's hands. This squad is bad but not as bad as they're performing. As I keep saying... 1 win in 20!

54 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

Nothing to lose with WR not in charge. 
Let’s say an agreement is reached between him and MM, which isn’t detrimental financially. I can’t see anything but positive things with someone else taking the reins. 

Well there are some small signs he can get decent players on board and its rumoured that (one of) the potential buyers are in cahoots with him.   agree with your general draft but it’s not that black and white 

51 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

I honestly think Bielsa could get this lot mid table at least. 

Yes this lies in Mel's hands. This squad is bad but not as bad as they're performing. As I keep saying... 1 win in 20!

Mate as I said I don’t disagree. As I’ve already said nothing is going to change any time soon as we can’t afford to sack them. So therefore I give up moaning about it and I’m supporting the team. 

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

Or they aren’t good enough yet because they are very inexperienced.

Starting line up on Saturday? Inexperienced? Only 1 player had less than 50 first first team appearances (although I could be wrong on Bird). I’d say we had more experience at Championship level and above than Peterborough! 

please please stop making pathetic excuses and show some integrity! 

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Bris, blaming the players only carries credence if you’re looking at the game on paper and not watching it with your own eyes. In the same way we used to trigger you by discrediting Pep and saying its all about the players, for you to kick off… well this is the same but on opposite end of spectrum. 

we know when players are performing and when they’re confused and when they’re being lazy… under Cocu and now under Rooney, it’s been clear the players are not organised, not confident and not motivated. 

I think good managers can help younger players get better and reach closer to potential level.

Unfortunately we have many players who are on the decline, due to age, or have already reached their peak and won’t get any better.

Forsyth, Davies, Stearman and CKR for instance will only get worse. That’s natural. Byrne, Lawrence and Shinnie have hit their ceiling. They won’t get better any IMO.

The players than can get better are Sibley, Knight, Bird, Jozwiak and Buchanan due to age and potentially Morrison due to rediscovering his top form.

Question marks will of course be raised over Wayne Rooney if none of our younger players get any better.

Blimey, the bloke who’s just been on the moan in slating the doom merchants on the matchday thread. Never thought the forumers would be be criticised by the graveyard lurkers on the call in. That’s how Derby have got us in 2021

Edited by Orphanram

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think good managers can help younger players get better and reach closer to potential level.

Unfortunately we have many players who are on the decline, due to age, or have already reached their peak and won’t get any better.

Forsyth, Davies, Stearman and CKR for instance will only get worse. That’s natural. Byrne, Lawrence and Shinnie have hit their ceiling. They won’t get better any IMO.

The players than can get better are Sibley, Knight, Bird, Jozwiak and Buchanan due to age and potentially Morrison due to rediscovering his top form.

Question marks will of course be raised over Wayne Rooney if none of our younger players get any better.

One thing though I'd add is a good manager to get more out of all players even if they are on the decline because they can better figure how to use them tactically and how to best cover for their weaknesses with the players playing around them.