Louie Sibley

8 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

In other words, unless we sell O’Hare for big bucks then there’s no way we can afford them.

The problem we may have is the rumours surrounding a big bucks transfer for O’Hare. If that move happens at least we’re in a position to say “we know your cash rich and we don’t NEED to sell” for the first time in ages, maybe we’ll get a fair price if and when someone does leave.

• 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Mentioned by @Eoghan1884 in the retained list thread, the Mirror fella on X saying Rovrum are interested in Sibley. Suspect it’s the same as me being interested in Keira Knightley, she’s not necessarily going to reciprocate that desire…..but there’s a slim chance, isn’t there?! 😭 

Keira speaks very highly of you 

If he fancies playing every week he might be interested… but it’s that fat f*** and Rotherham, so it’s a little underwhelming as an opportunity. 

Surely there is absolutely no way? I think I’d be beyond staggered. It’s impossible to know what level of wage he was earning, but I’d suspect a very good one, perhaps even one of our highest earners with a legacy contract prior to administration. Bird, Knight and Sibley (among others) weren’t accounted for as ‘first team players’ in our first season in League One accounts and I’d assume that’s why our wage bill was high and first team wage bill low (relatively). I always suspected a reduced term contract for Sibley, certainly no more than what he’s currently on, but I’d even guess that would be highly competitive to what Rotherham would be offering. 

25 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Surely there is absolutely no way? I think I’d be beyond staggered. It’s impossible to know what level of wage he was earning, but I’d suspect a very good one, perhaps even one of our highest earners with a legacy contract prior to administration. Bird, Knight and Sibley (among others) weren’t accounted for as ‘first team players’ in our first season in League One accounts and I’d assume that’s why our wage bill was high and first team wage bill low (relatively). I always suspected a reduced term contract for Sibley, certainly no more than what he’s currently on, but I’d even guess that would be highly competitive to what Rotherham would be offering. 

If Sibley was on £X but no one is offering that anymore, then he will have to accept £Y. To me, the equation is two fold for him. How many minutes does he wants and in what position.

Agree with people who say is not just about wages, the position he plays and how often should be a big part at his age. 
think at derby we’re almost past seeing him as a 10, personally don’t rate him left wing at all. Leave full back or wing back. dropping deeper into midfield could be an option.

lot of questions for him to think about 

23 minutes ago, Srg said:

If Sibley was on £X but no one is offering that anymore, then he will have to accept £Y. To me, the equation is two fold for him. How many minutes does he wants and in what position.

I could be totally wrong, but isn't it the case that if he's on £X and we offer him less than £X, he leaves on a free? While if we offer at least £X, then we collect a transfer fee? 

My expectation is there will end up being a bit of an auction for Louie, and he'll move to a top m Championship or low end Premier League club. As Warne won't play him where he wants to play. He won't go to League One. 

Just now, Carl Sagan said:

I could be totally wrong, but isn't it the case that if he's on £X and we offer him less than £X, he leaves on a free? While if we offer at least £X, then we collect a transfer fee? 

My expectation is there will end up being a bit of an auction for Louie, and he'll move to a top m Championship or low end Premier League club. As Warne won't play him where he wants to play. He won't go to League One. 

I’d be amazed with premier league move.  He struggles to get involved in games, that be so much harder for a low end prem team.

Actually think being objective a move is way sibley needs, Coventry being a good one for example.

Would love it to happen at Derby but just can’t see it.

10 hours ago, Rich3478 said:

Actually think being objective a move is way sibley needs

Totally agree. Many believe there is a footballer in him but after 173 first team appearances under numerous different managers, I don’t think it will be as a Derby County player.

He showed his most consistent form last season but I’m convinced he’s only been offered a new contract to protect development fee rights. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Teams need to want him for him to end up in PL or high Champ team. Bird who is much more productive, ended up at Bristol City, Sibley won't find a team much if any higher than them.

Edited by Returning ram

21 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

Teams need to want him for him to end up in PL or high Champ team. Bird who is much more productive, ended up at Bristol City, Sibley won't find a team much if any higher than them.

Much more productive? I’m not sure I would’ve used that term. Sibley is more impactful than Bird, albeit is more inconsistent but that’s probably due in large part to his lack of consistent game time in his correct position which we can all agree has been detrimental overall to his development.

I think purely from a commercial stand point that the opportunity to add a 22 year old who has a very decent attacking record in the Championship already on a free transfers, if we have offered him reduced terms, will ensure that he is at least a championship player next season. 

When playing CM or AM, transfermrkt has his record 112 games and 46 goal contributions at all levels. Obviously that takes into account academy games too, but still begs the question with that kind of record wasn’t he afforded more time at first team level to prove he can/can’t do it. 

For me, I just want to see him succeed at this point. I feel his development has been impacted significantly by the people at the club since Cocu left because watching him during his academy days it was very apparent just how special of a player he was and he showed that when he burst on the scene. I do think given time and opportunities that he can showcase his ability but feel that what he could’ve been is one of the biggest ‘what ifs’ that I’ll carry with me as a Derby fan. 

There are still quite a few who seem to be blinkered about Sibley. He's not a patch on Bird and Knight, nowhere near. To say he will go to a top Championship or even more laughably a Premiership club is crazy. He needs to go to a league 1 or league 2 club, play week in week out and prove himself. I think he will sign a new contract here anyway and carry on being squad player

Hopefully he signs as he's one of our own and could play a part at this level. However, if he does move on either a) his agent has had a worldie and got him a cracking offer or b) we aren't prepare to be bullied on contracts etc. which i think only bodes well for our future. 

22 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Much more productive? I’m not sure I would’ve used that term. Sibley is more impactful than Bird, albeit is more inconsistent but that’s probably due in large part to his lack of consistent game time in his correct position which we can all agree has been detrimental overall to his development.

I think purely from a commercial stand point that the opportunity to add a 22 year old who has a very decent attacking record in the Championship already on a free transfers, if we have offered him reduced terms, will ensure that he is at least a championship player next season. 

When playing CM or AM, transfermrkt has his record 112 games and 46 goal contributions at all levels. Obviously that takes into account academy games too, but still begs the question with that kind of record wasn’t he afforded more time at first team level to prove he can/can’t do it. 

For me, I just want to see him succeed at this point. I feel his development has been impacted significantly by the people at the club since Cocu left because watching him during his academy days it was very apparent just how special of a player he was and he showed that when he burst on the scene. I do think given time and opportunities that he can showcase his ability but feel that what he could’ve been is one of the biggest ‘what ifs’ that I’ll carry with me as a Derby fan. 

I think there's an element of truth to that. Cocu was a good coach and knew how to integrate youngsters into the team, but importantly, he had a more balanced squad which allowed him to put players in their best positions. Due to squad deficiencies, both Knight and Sibley were required on the wings and at full back on numerous occasions.

Knight had 6 goals and 1 assist in 35 games (all competitions) during his debut season as an 18 year old under Cocu. His next best (including a season in L1) for Derby was 6 goal contributions in 47 games in L1, mostly due to being used everywhere except AM. At Bristol, he's been moved back to AM and finished the season with 7 goals and 4 assists in 52 games across all competitions.

Sibley had 5 goals and 2 assist in just 11 league games (15 in all competitions) in 19/20 when Cocu was manager. Following Rooney's term as manager, we can now see a slow increase in Sibley's output - 8 goal contributions in 52 games in 23/24 and 12 goal contributions in 44 games during 23/24.

12 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Sibley ain't that good only plays well at LWB if covered by good defenders.