Louie Sibley - joined Oxford

Decent club on the wave of a promotion with a nice.., quirky..... but nice stadium.

Less than two hours from Burton so he can potentially stay at home for the most part or at least land half way between which should help him settle.

Have a really good rivalry with Swindon town so there will be that to look forward to it they get cup draws against one another.

Good move for him and hopefully he can get some decent  game time.

Served our club very well and really would like him to go on and have a solid career and set himself up for life after his playing time is over.

Be interesting to see if he gets on the score sheet much this season.

Best of Derbyshire luck to you Louie Sibley .

Once a ram always a ram.

1 hour ago, AmberRamber said:

Decent club on the wave of a promotion with a nice.., quirky..... but nice stadium.

From 2026 they have no stadium. They are being screwed over by a former owner who seemingly now wants to use that land for some more profitable enterprise. Housing probably.

Will probably have to ground share with someone until they can get a new permanent home.

27 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

From 2026 they have no stadium. They are being screwed over by a former owner who seemingly now wants to use that land for some more profitable enterprise. Housing probably.

Will probably have to ground share with someone until they can get a new permanent home.

Crikey that's not good. 

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

Their existing ground only has stands on three sides. They have never got round to building the fourth due to not having enough fans to put in it.

Edited by Foreveram

• rynny changed the title to Louie Sibley - joined Oxford

I'm a bit uneasy about this one. I'm glad he got a good move to a decent club on the up, but I feel like it's going to click for him at some point and we're going to regret letting him go. He's only ever shown in flashes the highs he's capable of, but there's a player in there. 

I hope he has a fantastic career. He deserves it for all the effort he's put in for us, especially last season where he spent most of it trying to fill a position he doesn't really have the requirements to fit. Letting "one of our own" go always makes me a bit sad, but with the money he would have been on its probably the right thing to do.

I think it is important to accept the idea that a move like this can be good for both parties too - i.e. a good move for him is not necessarily a bad move for us. I think he's a decent versatile player who will have a really good career, possibly at Oxford or possibly elsewhere, but he seemed highly unlikely to be a first choice in a position that he wanted here and Warne has had plenty of opportunity to see if there is a potential role for him.

I'd imagine that our offer of a new contract reflected his value to this team right here and now, whereas his expired contract (when originally offered) reflected his value to a team in very different circumstances and makeup. It may be that his value to Oxford and their current setup is simply higher than his value to us right now as sub option/utility player.

Disappointed but realistically it wasn't going to happen for him here, this season he would have been a bit part player again, either filling in for injuries or coming on as a late sub. Warne wasn't going to suddenly utilise him a division higher.

There is a player in there, especially if he can continue improving as he has done of late, but to make that next step he needs to be playing consistently and to that extent I think we have failed him a bit.

I was of the opinion for the past couple of years we should have loaned him out to somewhere that would give him a season as a no. 10 or even winger. If he had got half decent numbers and maybe come back as a more trusted option in that position rather than playing and being dropped after 1 or 2 games then he could have kicked on. 

He still has time to do so, and I can imagine in the next few years, be it at Oxford or somewhere else he will have a purple patch at the very least and earn himself a multimillion pound move, even if it is only to a yoyo team.

Good luck to him, it's a shame he had to move on but I feel it is probably the right decision all round. Just feel like we haven't seen him in his prime and a bit gutted we don't even get a sell on fee.

I guess Osborn is already a like for like replacement so we probably won't really miss him, other than the feeling that at any moment he just might hit that vein of form (or luck) that elevated him and us up to the next level.

15 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Actually they have had provisional planning permission passed for a new ground north of the city on the ring road. They still have a few obstacles to negotiate so may need to groundshare briefly but they won't be homeless for too long.

I'd expect and hope that, reunited with coaches who believe in him as a goalscoring attacking midfielder (Craig Short) he'll play in his best position and score maybe 15 goals next season. It will certainly be interesting to see how Louie does away from Derby, but he's young with huge amounts of ability so I reckon he'll do well. And that this will likely be a stepping stone to the Premier League while he rediscovers his joy of banging the ball into the back of the net from anywhere.

Of course the converse is possible and he'll disappoint, but Oxford are a very forward-thinking club and I reckon they have a good chance of getting the best out of him.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'd expect and hope that, reunited with coaches who believe in him as a goalscoring attacking midfielder (Craig Short) he'll play in his best position and score maybe 15 goals next season. It will certainly be interesting to see how Louie does away from Derby, but he's young with huge amounts of ability so I reckon he'll do well. And that this will likely be a stepping stone to the Premier League while he rediscovers his joy of banging the ball into the back of the net from anywhere.

Of course the converse is possible and he'll disappoint, but Oxford are a very forward-thinking club and I reckon they have a good chance of getting the best out of him.

Are you Sibley's Dad?

The other day you had him signing for Wolves or a lower end prem team now you think he can score 15 goals in the champ next season?

The lad has scored 13 goals in 147 games.

He has played under several managers here and if he was lower end prem or as good as some people think he is, he would have earnt the right to play and been a mainstay in his preferred position and he most certainly would have set league one alight.

Sibley would often come on and do well then he would be pretty poor next game, get a booking and have to go off because no manager could trust him not to get another booking.

I actually think the only time he consistently played well for us was when he was at LWB. I know he may think he prefers midfield, and thats fine. But I actually think his best position is LWB. 

If Sibley scores 15 goals for Oxford next season I will donate £100 to a charity of your choice 🙂